How To Sound Like Angus At Home

• Thread starter stillrockin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
1st, you'll need a large home with a room about the size of the venue. 2nd, you'll need a Marshall non MV amp/4x12 cab and a Gibson SG, and lastly, a pair of nickers and lots of energy.

Last edited:

Conghaille

Reaction score
Yeah, these are the years that I love. My sense that it wasn't until after For Those About to Rock that Angus got a bit more overdriven and distorted. When I hear people cover AC/DC, it so often is just WAY too distorted. Even listening to this old recording you can hear articulation and the characteristics of the instrument. I sometimes tell people, if you aren't listening side by side and you're looking to play Bon-era AC/DC, once you think you have it right, dial the gain back 40%.

stillrockin

Reaction score
sometimes in my video he had like a fuzz tone
amazing

but with jtm 45 and JMP 100 w or 50W
so at home, it will be difficult

secrets

i know some pedals :
catalinbread little dirty secrets
zvex box of rock
marshall guv nor and jackhammer
solodallas storm but it's just a boost

stillrockin

Reaction score
i have a gibson sg with 490r 498t but not his amp :)

i see there are other sg : the supra
the maestro
the reissue 61
the a young signature (with a louder bridge pickup )
so many sg to try :)

plexilespaul

Reaction score
in those classic years concerts he also played jmp master volume amps !!!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks. All the other clips were at venues. I wanted his home tone.

His home tone is nothing like his live tone, but that's going to be the same for all of us for the very most part. As simple as his tone is, it's still a lot of fun to try and find it … the closest I've come in a home setting at low volumes is either using my Wampler Pinnacle in front of a clean amp, or via my CODE 50, which does a surprisingly good job. If I was certain I'd never play live again, I'd be more than happy with just my CODE 50 tbh (in fact, i haven't plugged into any other amps since i've owned it).

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
His home tone is nothing like his live tone, but that's going to be the same for all of us for the very most part. As simple as his tone is, it's still a lot of fun to try and find it … the closest I've come in a home setting at low volumes is either using my Wampler Pinnacle in front of a clean amp, or via my CODE 50, which does a surprisingly good job. If I was certain I'd never play live again, I'd be more than happy with just my CODE 50 tbh (in fact, i haven't plugged into any other amps since i've owned it).

Modelers are great for that kind of thing. Crank the power section and get that breakup at any volume.

frankr442

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having trouble getting good sound out of my CODE 50. Saw your post #19 in the "longhand for now" thread, but could you be more specific as to your settings for AC/DC?
A couple of AC/DC songs are my favorites to (try to) play and this amp is starting to frustrate me. I've never had a tube amp, so that's not it, but right now my tired old Crate s/s amp sounds better!
Thanks for any help.