Howdy, fellow Marshall fanatics \m/

• Thread starter Junkyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Junkyard

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been using all of y‘all’s valuable advice for several weeks now and decided to join in, mainly to express appreciation for the sane and kind tone in most all of the interactions here, and the wealth of information you folks share.

I‘ve been playing for 40 years, many gigs (local level, nothing serious) but am now a home player. I do not miss hauling 2000 lbs of gear out of shows at 3am, but sometimes miss the rush of being on stage and entertaining people. At some time during this transition I decided I didn’t need and offloaded my Greenback 1960A 412, my 50W Vintage Modern, and my 100W JMD, since they were too big and loud for the house. What a foolish decision that was (especially the VM). Kept my 1936 212 w Greenbacks though, just in case.

During lockdown I sat in my office playing my Tele clean through a little Fender, working on fingerstyle chord melody stuff, like a sad old bastard haha. Completely stopped even bending strings. And I thought “this is it, this is my new norm for guitar playing”. BUT… the Marshall urge came back, so I am now the new owner of a DSL40CR, and really digging it. I’ve got 2 Teles, a Strat and a LP, and depending on the day I’m either working on Ted Greene‘s arrangements of jazz standards, or chunking away at the classic rock and metal of my 80s youth.

Hope you are all well, and thanks again for the helpful posts, it was reading them that led me to try the DSL, and I’m stoked that I did! Been playing so much recently that my fretting hand fingertips hurt, which hasn’t happened in ages.

Rock on, dudes. \m/ O \m/

Junk

Junkyard

Reaction score
Thanks, Wildeman and Rider!

The irony and stupidity of me selling my “too loud” gear only to reacquire another Marshall at 40w makes me shake my head at my damn self. Also the fact that one of my first amp purchases during lockdown was a ‘72 silverface Twin Reverb. What an idiot. Oh well ha. I love that thing, and it can be played at a modest volume and still sound good (the Twin)

The 40CR can get righteously loud through my 212, I’ve already knocked sh*t off the walls 😂 BUT! It also sounds great quiet, which was the clincher for me. And they’re on sale right now for $892, easier to swallow than $1050.

Junkyard

Reaction score
Thank ye, Fitz. Read alot of your words over the past few weeks, feels like I know ya already, haha. Love your avatar btw. 🤟🏻

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been using all of y‘all’s valuable advice for several weeks now and decided to join in, mainly to express appreciation for the sane and kind tone in most all of the interactions here, and the wealth of information you folks share.

I‘ve been playing for 40 years, many gigs (local level, nothing serious) but am now a home player. I do not miss hauling 2000 lbs of gear out of shows at 3am, but sometimes miss the rush of being on stage and entertaining people. At some time during this transition I decided I didn’t need and offloaded my Greenback 1960A 412, my 50W Vintage Modern, and my 100W JMD, since they were too big and loud for the house. What a foolish decision that was (especially the VM). Kept my 1936 212 w Greenbacks though, just in case.

During lockdown I sat in my office playing my Tele clean through a little Fender, working on fingerstyle chord melody stuff, like a sad old bastard haha. Completely stopped even bending strings. And I thought “this is it, this is my new norm for guitar playing”. BUT… the Marshall urge came back, so I am now the new owner of a DSL40CR, and really digging it. I’ve got 2 Teles, a Strat and a LP, and depending on the day I’m either working on Ted Greene‘s arrangements of jazz standards, or chunking away at the classic rock and metal of my 80s youth.

Hope you are all well, and thanks again for the helpful posts, it was reading them that led me to try the DSL, and I’m stoked that I did! Been playing so much recently that my fretting hand fingertips hurt, which hasn’t happened in ages.

Rock on, dudes. \m/ O \m/

Junk
Awesome! The DSL40CR is a wonderful and versatile amp. Any chance you might start playing gigs again? It’s a blast and your amp would be more than adequate for small clubs.

Junkyard

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Cal. I can definitely see how this amp would be great for gigs, but it’s probably going to live in my office or maybe make it to a couple jam sessions. But I’ll never say never when it comes to gigging again. 🤟🏻

Junkyard

Reaction score
Thanks Mitchell! Been reading alot of your posts over the past few weeks, and your general demeanor of always being supportive and trying to be helpful sets the tone of this forum for me. That vibe is definitely appreciated, man 🤟🏻🤟🏻

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Cal. I can definitely see how this amp would be great for gigs, but it’s probably going to live in my office or maybe make it to a couple jam sessions. But I’ll never say never when it comes to gigging again. 🤟🏻
It should serve you well as a practice amp at home.