HS pickup combo: EMG-89XR bridge & SLVX neck

• Thread starter Charvel1975
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
So on my Charvel model 5fx, I'm going to swap out the old EMG-81 & SA pickups for the EMG-89XR and SLVX to see how they sound. The guitar has a 3-way toggle switch, 1 volume & 1 tone controls & Original Floyd Rose tremolo tuned to standard E.

I kinda want to keep EMG's in my Charvel because it's the only guitar I own that has active pickups and I like to have some variety as all my other guitars have passive pickups.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I can't play much anymore and my actives get the least amount of loving, so for them, I pretty much need an AC adapter. :lol:

V-man

Reaction score
My HS “grail” is set up with the 81B/89N with a PA-2 on the 81.

My recollection was the 89 was essentially an 85 with a split coil option.

I would see if you are going to like the 89 (85) in the bridge over the 81 you know. Double check to confirm my memory, account for variance between OG and XR then watch 81 vs 85 bridge shootouts.

I prefer the 81 for the bridge.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Actually, I've always wished that they made amps with a 9 volt supply on the input with a TRS jack or something so you wouldn't need the batteries.

I thought that could be possible, iirc, but it's been a long time since I thought about it.

Latest posts