Huge improvement in tone...for low $$

• Thread starter Jodyzuza
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
Well, boys, I've been trying to get the Joe Bonamassa tone for a few months now, and I think I've nailed it (To my ears, at least). I own a 2554 silver jubilee (50w), similar to what Joe plays, xcept he has the 100w head. I play my les paul thru an mxr 10 band eq in the Jube's effects loop and I thought I had it - until I picked up a cheap, $39 Ibanez TS7 and plugged it in instead of the eq...WOW!
I use it as a clean boost w/ a little dirt (my settings on the ts7 are left to right, 10:00, 3:00, then on the last knob about 1:00)...I bought the ts7 because of the rave reviews it got as the "poor man's ts9"...well, I ab'd them both at the store thru a satriani head, and they were PRETTY close; the ts9 did sound a tad more refined and the tone was a little brighter, but all in all, not bad for $39!! I used to have an original ts9 from the early 80's but like an idiot, I sold it. the ts7 is a great pedal, sounds nice, PLUS it has a hot switch, which really boosts up the gain, good for bedroom level playing. I'm leaving it on all the time, the marshall sorta sounded plain without it!

Buy one - it's a huge improvement for cheeeep $$ - Joe

Jodyzuza

Reaction score
my jube settings (as a combo, NOT plugged in to the cab)- Gain at 12:00ish, lead at 1:00ish, master at 12:00ish (BTW, I found, as well as others that the volume, gains and master knobs all have to be ABOVE 12:00, then the magic starts :naughty:...treble at 10:00, mid - all the way up, bass, all the way up, and presence, almost all the way OFF (eliminates any fizziness)....set at 50w

The amp w/ the ts7 pedal has that smooth, sustaining sound joe has, almost like a violin without any feedback! - reminds me also of jay leno's guitarists, kevin eubanks' sound - xcept he uses a mesa blue angel with a rat pedal - pretty close, though...

Joe

stock_hippie

Reaction score
my jube settings (as a combo, NOT plugged in to the cab)- Gain at 12:00ish, lead at 1:00ish, master at 12:00ish (BTW, I found, as well as others that the volume, gains and master knobs all have to be ABOVE 12:00, then the magic starts :naughty:...treble at 10:00, mid - all the way up, bass, all the way up, and presence, almost all the way OFF (eliminates any fizziness)....set at 50w

The amp w/ the ts7 pedal has that smooth, sustaining sound joe has, almost like a violin without any feedback! - reminds me also of jay leno's guitarists, kevin eubanks' sound - xcept he uses a mesa blue angel with a rat pedal - pretty close, though...

Joe
wow....cool you can tell us this info...thanks alot...what kinda les paul do you have?...ts7 just went on my watchlist...!!!thanks again

codyfarmer

Reaction score
You all should try the following settings on your Jube's...

Prescence 8
Bass 7
Mid 7
Treble 4.5
Output Master 10
Input gain 6.5

This is the settings right off of Slash's Jubilee set for gain. I believe he uses E34L's for the power tubes. This is for the 2555, not sure how it will sound on the other models but I'm sure still stellar. I absolutely adore this setting, of course you can lose some of the output master if you need to ;)