I bought another Canadian ‘73. Care to take a look?

• Thread starter vice2.0
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vice2.0

Reaction score
TLDR - I thought I bought an American Superlead but it may be a CSA Super Bass

I got bit by the 70s Superlead bug. This one is a little different though. After taking quite a few shots I suspect this was actually a Superbass.

From what I can gather it has a lot of similarities and a few differences than the other.

First from your guys help from my last thread I gather that the original iron is there. Same make, has the same patina and colors as the one I bought last week.

This one has the original Daly caps and I was told it was all original with no holes drilled. But the faceplates were changed at some point? I was in a rush (bad thing to be when buying vintage amps) and didn’t check for the serial number. The back faceplate is a repro and doesn’t have a s/n. And the front is covering up where the Canadian polarity switch would be.

The back has two holes drilled but they seem to match up with where the extra speaker jacks holes would be. I took a lot of pics and would love some insight!

What I think is that I bought a Canadian 73 Superbass someone modded to USA 73 Superlead specs. I didn’t pay 1973 Undrilled Superlead prices so I’m not incredibly pissed but still concerned. I can get a refund if I ask for one, I’m pretty sure.

The assembly tag has the model crossed out. But I know it’s a Canadian made in 73.

Anyways here’s some pics.

The first pic with holes drilled is the front I’m guessing where the polarity would be and the one after with 2 holes drilled is the rear next to the other speaker jacks. Is there a way to verify? I can send more pics if necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_5525.jpeg
    IMG_5525.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5532.jpeg
    IMG_5532.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5531.jpeg
    IMG_5531.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5530.jpeg
    IMG_5530.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5529.jpeg
    IMG_5529.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5528.jpeg
    IMG_5528.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not enough pics to tell the full story. Although we can tell you're missing the bright channel cathode resistor and bypass cap which we would assume out of frame would be the shared cathode on V1. This and you've got the larger 100nF phase inverter coupling caps. There are Superleads with larger coupling caps for the PI but the shared cathode on V1 indicates it's definitely a Superbass.
The cathode resistor and bypass cap on V2 is a mod someone did to get a little more juice out of it.

vice2.0

Reaction score
Not enough pics to tell the full story. Although we can tell you're missing the bright channel cathode resistor and bypass cap which we would assume out of frame would be the shared cathode on V1. This and you've got the larger 100nF phase inverter coupling caps. There are Superleads with larger coupling caps for the PI but the shared cathode on V1 indicates it's definitely a Superbass.
The cathode resistor and bypass cap on V2 is a mod someone did to get a little more juice out of it.
I got a few more. The whole underside of the chassis. The PT and views of the drills but pulled back a little.

Attachments

• IMG_5534.jpeg
    IMG_5534.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    849.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5536.jpeg
    IMG_5536.jpeg
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5540.jpeg
    IMG_5540.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5541.jpeg
    IMG_5541.jpeg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
I used to have a 1984 Canadian JCM 800 2204. I wish I still had it but decided to stay with combos that both sounded better, and get rid of the half stack - I needed cash and had a buyer at top dollar at the time. I knew the guy and he ended up frying it a year later and it never sounded the same after the repairs. The thing I noticed about all the Canadian JCM800s I looked at before buying is all had the square light not the rocker light switch and no 4 ohm speaker cab selection. It also had a sort of white/yellow paint coating on all the electrical connections which I never saw on any USA models. It had black caps, which seem to show up in many 1983-1984 amps and both of my 1983 JCM800 combos have them. Not sure what they are but every black cap Marshall I have played or owned that was stock sounded awesome. Heres some sound out of my 1983 4010 combo with black caps.

Reaction score
TLDR - I thought I bought an American Superlead but it may be a CSA Super Bass

I got bit by the 70s Superlead bug. This one is a little different though. After taking quite a few shots I suspect this was actually a Superbass.

From what I can gather it has a lot of similarities and a few differences than the other.

First from your guys help from my last thread I gather that the original iron is there. Same make, has the same patina and colors as the one I bought last week.

This one has the original Daly caps and I was told it was all original with no holes drilled. But the faceplates were changed at some point? I was in a rush (bad thing to be when buying vintage amps) and didn’t check for the serial number. The back faceplate is a repro and doesn’t have a s/n. And the front is covering up where the Canadian polarity switch would be.

The back has two holes drilled but they seem to match up with where the extra speaker jacks holes would be. I took a lot of pics and would love some insight!

What I think is that I bought a Canadian 73 Superbass someone modded to USA 73 Superlead specs. I didn’t pay 1973 Undrilled Superlead prices so I’m not incredibly pissed but still concerned. I can get a refund if I ask for one, I’m pretty sure.

The assembly tag has the model crossed out. But I know it’s a Canadian made in 73.

Anyways here’s some pics.

The first pic with holes drilled is the front I’m guessing where the polarity would be and the one after with 2 holes drilled is the rear next to the other speaker jacks. Is there a way to verify? I can send more pics if necessary.
Well if you didnt pay top dollar (due to mod work) and you 'could' get a refund....how does it sound? Does it fill a gap that maybe your other amps dont fill? If it sounds good keep it!

Latest posts