I hate my DSL40C

• Thread starter cecil1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cecil1

Reaction score
I had this amp for 5 weeks now. My first tube amp. Was super excited to get it. I for the life on me cannot get the sound I like. I have spent countless hours adjusting, and readjusting. I keep hearing about Marshall tones, great sound, etc. Well it isn't coming from this amp. I just can't seem to get rid of the muddy, muffled sound. Go the other way, and I get the hated tinty sound. I had 3 different people try to adjust this thing and we are all scratching our heads. Bought a Metal Muff pedal, hoping this would help. Nope. My nephews damn Line Six sounds better than this Marsahll. I play a Gibson Les Paul and like classic rock. Shouldn't be that hard to come up with the sound I like. Well it is.

marshall1967

Reaction score
Try a different speaker. Do a little research on lower watt greenback type celestions and the higher watt celestions, or other brands, and see what you prefer, It'll make a difference. You have a good amp.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
Just an obvious question here. Why did you buy it? Was it an online purchase that you made without playing one? That can certainly be risky. Maybe a more vintage sounding Marshall is what you're after.

cecil1

Reaction score
First mistake, online purchase. No one had one in my area. Read the reviews, listened on Youtube. I thought it sounded great. Mine doesn't. I appreciate the suggestion, but I really don't feel like changing speakers, tubes, whatever else, after spending $700.

MaxFrames

Reaction score
Are you plugging directly into the amplifier?
What kind of sound you're exactly after?
Can you post a sound clip of you playing this amp, so we can get an idea?

cecil1

Reaction score
Playing with the Metal Muff pedal. The sound I like is 70's and 80's rock. You know, that great Les Paul with a Marshall amp sound that I can't get.

WinterOrb

Reaction score
Try different tubes? Maybe something got shaken up in transit.

A good starting point is with just your guitar and amp, nothing else in the way.

I don't have one of these amps, I just have a real DSL and know it sounds great.

cecil1

Reaction score
The only way to get thing thing to sound half decent is with the Metal Muff. Just the guitar and amp is horrible.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I've not even seen one of these amps yet. That's too bad that they aren't what you're looking for. Can you return it still?

Ken

Reaction score
The only way to get thing thing to sound half decent is with the Metal Muff. Just the guitar and amp is horrible.

Did you replace all the tubes and then bias it correctly? If not, chances are any used amp you buy on line will sound like shit. People will only sell an amp as popular as a DSL 401 if it sounds bad, and a working amp that sounds bad is just not set up right.

Ken

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
It wasnt used, it was new. But I do think I read that the bias from the factory wasn't good though.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
You really need to record a clip, even with a cell phone/ipad.

You also need to understand that very few amps come perfect. I have a 4k soldano and only became convinced it was the perfect amp for me after I switched to greenback celestions and NOS RCA tubes in v1,v2. But it doesnt nail everything. I'll take it any day over a JCM800 for metal but it can't cop those old JTM or JMP tones. There just isn't a perfect amp.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
It sucks man, I'm in the same boat. I did the speaker swaps and put in NOS tubes. Mine's on CL right now. I spent hours and hours with it and I just can't get what I want from it on either channel.

Sournote

Reaction score
It sucks man, I'm in the same boat. I did the speaker swaps and put in NOS tubes. Mine's on CL right now. I spent hours and hours with it and I just can't get what I want from it on either channel.

Not being able to get the sound you want and saying the amp sounds like shit are two different things.

The DSL40C is not a shitty sounding amp. Maybe not what you want but if you can't get classic rock tones out of it, maybe its your playing.

DS I quoted you but my comment is more directed at the OP.

cecil1

Reaction score
DirtySteve, I have been following your post's. I thought I would give mine a chance even after reading your post's, but we are right. This amp sucks. I can't get the sound I want on either channel either. Pisses me off.

cecil1

Reaction score
My nephew has been playing for 3 months. His Line Six sound better. Appreciate you response, but about my playing capability....... I will leave that alone. Thanks.

Latest posts