I Have The Itch [god Help Me] To Build Another 1960 - A Or B Cab?

• Thread starter Geeze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Geeze

Reaction score
It's a disease pure and simple. I have the time, a clean shop which is just killing me, wide African mahogany and the serious balls on fire crab infested itch to build SOMETHING. I have an A cab just getting out of it's 3rd refinish and will be done with that in the next week.

Which do you prefer if you already have an A cab?

Side question - the A cab has V30's [for a 2555X] I'm contemplating GB's, a GB & BB mix [I have those] or really really really tempted to try Scumback's PVC speakers either J or M series. My all time tones are Angus, early Rush & Journey. Any input?

Help me with the itch - I'll be touching the balls, thank you very much!

Russ

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
With your skills I'd build a guitar..a nice custom explorer..I would..but I have limited skills in that department...and alot of other departments too..lol..oh yea I agree with the b cab.

Geeze

Reaction score
With your skills I'd build a guitar..a nice custom explorer..I would..but I have limited skills in that department...and alot of other departments too..lol..oh yea I agree with the b cab.

SHHHHHH! Don't get THAT itch going again! I've built two bodies and drop topped another. Aligning the bridge pup & neck pockets is a pain even with a milling machine. Haven't built a neck [yet] - that scares the crap out of me - one thing goes off plan and it's firewood. Watched a buddy build two necks - the plain one was OK but the pretty one is scrap. Cab building is easier by far.

I agree with you and Ghostman - B cab. I'm waiting for SG Guy to say a 4x15.

Russ

MesaMan50

Reaction score
Okay call me a freak, but my itch is for either an A or B cab 4x10. Mike Ness of Social D plays em. Celestion makes the Greenies in a 10. It should be rowdy In Yer Face Mids and much less weight than with 12's

However, I vote for the 1960 B cab like most everyone else. Have fun.

Geeze

Reaction score
Okay call me a freak, but my itch is for either an A or B cab 4x10.

You FREAK! I built one of those in my Fender days with 2 GB and 2 Golds - didn't like it [probably the golds] as much with Marshall grind was OK with a Satellite Barracuda. Sold/traded it to a Fender freak buddy.

Well the project is now official as I dropped $150 for the zebrawood trim today. And found a gorgeous piece of figured birds eye maple too. Nothing like a $260 wood day. The real bummer is my photo hosting site now wants $400 / year. Assholes. Yes, I know the assholes can charge as much as they like. Assholes.

Russ

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-pffffffffff!!-4x15 is a girls cab!!

-6x15!!!-(bigger, meaner, version of the greatest cab ever made!!

-SUNN-6x12-INFINATE BAFFLE-(inverted "V" shaped baffle)-the only guitar,/bass cab that can fill any room with sound like water in a pool, all of it, zero dead spots, it has no equal, why this baffle design isn't used any more "baffles" me.

-same concept as BOSE 901's-

-back to reality, definitely B-cab, how wide & thick are the board's Geeze?

-if I had a warehouse full of cabs, and they were all B-4x12's, my next cab would be a B-cab, over sized, made of 3/4" ply, 100% of it, or wood board 5/8" but 3/4" baffle & back panel,

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-I'm betting that its gonna kick ass Russ!!-

-is a 14" cabinet grade, board rare, or speacial order? Now that I live in Oregon, I've noticed that HOME DEPOT carries 12" wide, 1/2" thick, cabinet grade, pine & polar board"s... in new England, HOME DEPOT's widest board that they stocked, was 11" wide, 3/8" thick, no voidless grade, I could special order a higher grade, but nothing finish grade, no thicker, no other options,

-my-(pine board)-Fender BASSMAN cab is tall & wide, but on the shallow side at 11" deep, -(1/2" thick)-I'm in a state that its economy-(easily the most poverty stricken state I've seen)-is the TIMBER INDUSTRY, I'd love to build a high grade board, at least 14" wide and at least 5/8" thick cab, no vinyl, like you do,

-its been awhile since I had the SUNN, 6x12, inverted baffle cab, it was deep, but pretty similar-(if not the exact same dimensions as the standard 6x12, flat baffled, cab SUNN offered at the same time)-its front loaded, and it was not only louder than any cab-(4 ohms)-it was louder than the two, 100w Marshall stack's, one to the left, one to the right, by a lot!! it could, and would, move not just a lot of air, it moved people! Did you have an ELECTRIC FOITBALL game as a kid? Thats what the audience looked like,

houseofrock

Reaction score
but my amp goes to "11".

…sorry to highjack this thread with absurdities.
And now back to you Geeze!!!
I really do think a 4x15 cab would be awesome.

Last edited:

Coronado

Reaction score
Whatever you do end up building, I'm sure its going to be amazing. Your last amp was one of the most unique I've seen yet! Simply stunning!

Geeze

Reaction score
-is a 14" cabinet grade, board rare, or speacial order?

I use lumber suppliers and distributors that specialize in exotic and US lumber. Wide widths are rarer and more expensive. The Home places don't cater to those widths and thicknesses. I've also edge glued clear pine [three pieces] to 14" width to build a TL806 with a EVM12L [no finish at all] for a hard rocking pro and nary an issue in three years. You will need to trim the planks on a table saw to 'fix' the edges as they aren't 90° and use Titebond II or III.

I'm putting 1.5" zebrawood trim on the front and rear edges so the plank will be cut down to 11". My usual walnut blocks on the corners. All of the raw planks are 7/8" to 13/16" thick so I'll run it through a drum sander to mill it down to 3/4" after I cut the finger joints to avoid tearout.

Russ

SG~GUY

Reaction score
Well, the reason I use some sort of tolex, is to hide all the ugly & hideousness!!

SG~GUY

Reaction score
but my amp goes to "11".

-CRACKAH PLEEEEEEEZE!!- " apologies are for the guilty".

if I apologized about every thread I led astray, I'd have to change my to "SG~GUY APOLOGIZED-

-the greatest movie of all time in the entire " ROCK MOVIE " genre!!-(well a JCM900 goes to 20)-should be mandatory to see it before your first electric guitar..

…sorry to highjack this thread with absurdities.
And now back to you Geeze!!!
I really do think a 4x15 cab would be awesome.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-by far, the greatest ROCK FILM ever made-
-psssssst!!-JCM900 goes to TWENTY!!!!

houseofrock

Reaction score
SG-Guy said... CRACKAH PLEEEEEEEZE!!- " apologies are for the guilty".