i need more info about 1959 slp mk2 reissue

• Thread starter bobbyvasco
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
it does not have master volume ? It has 2 volume knobs....because of 2 channels?
Is it worth buying or should I buy another amp?
I amlittle confused because there are JTM, SMP, JMP etc so many models....
also the jcm 800 replaced the 1959 smp if I am not wrong?
is it worth the same as 1959 hw hendrix edition or less?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
the 1959 is the 100 watt version of the 2 channel superlead...
the 1987 is the 50 watt version...
similarly, the SV20 is the 20 watt version...

They would be JMP NMV (non master volume) class amp's.

JMP morphed into JCM series. They also had 100, 50 & now a 20 watt version.

The JCM started cascading the 2 channels & added a master volume on some...

There were some transitory stages inbetween.

They started calling them, 2203, 2204, 2205, 2210, etc., w/ variations in the numbering for the combos...

The 2 channels (JMP) have gain knobs. The amp is fixed on 10 all the time, so volume is dictated by gain. To get a lot of gain, you need a lot of volume.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Screenshot 2023-07-20 042658.jpg
so it has loudeness 1 and loudness 2? so there is no master volume? Just gain? And you need to crank it to 10 to get best sound? can you use marshall powerbrake to tame it?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
View attachment 133681
so it has loudeness 1 and loudness 2? so there is no master volume? Just gain? And you need to crank it to 10 to get best sound? can you use marshall powerbrake to tame it?
yes & yes...

the inputs have channel 1 & 2. the volume pots correlate w/ the channels There's also a hi/low input on each channel.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

You can jumper the channels to blend them. Otherwise, each channel works only for the channel you are plugged into, although some people report bleed between the channels & say that the other volume can make a difference...

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
so it has loudeness 1 and loudness 2? so there is no master volume?
Correct.
Loudness 1 (high treble) controls the hi & lo inputs with a 1, loudness 2 (normal) controls the hi & lo inputs with a 2.
The two channels are separate, but most people jumper them together ala Jimi Hendrix.
I use a Y splitter in my JTM45 inputs to hi 1 & low 2.
And you need to crank it to 10 to get best sound?
To get native overdrive, yes it needs to be kinda cranked.
That does not mean I don't like it clean.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it worth buying or should I buy another amp?
Yes, this is exactly what you need.
You've got the modern JVM, the '80's JCM, and you need an early style Marshall 4 hole to round out your collection. :yesway:
Trust me, we won't regret it....

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Yes, this is exactly what you need.
You've got the modern JVM, the '80's JCM, and you need an early style Marshall 4 hole to round out your collection. :yesway:
Trust me, we won't regret it....
what do you mean by we? :)

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
so is there a plexi 50 or 100 w with master volume like jcm 800 2210 series?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
so is there a plexi 50 or 100 w with master volume like jcm 800 2210 series?
You can install a master volume on them yourself but I found I like the amp with an attenuator better. But no, the plexis never came with a master volume.

If a master volume is important to you get a JMP or a JCM, the tone is a little different than an SLP though, but if youre going for the plexi tone get an SLP and live with an attenuator.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
You can install a master volume on them yourself but I found I like the amp with an attenuator better. But no, the plexis never came with a master volume.
i asked several times if marshall powerbrake will get it to room volume? still loud but not extremely loud...or is there a better ateunator for it?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
i asked several times if marshall powerbrake will get it to room volume? still loud but not extremely loud...or is there a better ateunator for it?
Powerbrake is what I use, yes it can get it to room volume.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Powerbrake is what I use, yes it can get it to room volume.
does it destroy the sound when you tame it or it it still the same...can you tell in percentages how much is the sound destroyed when you tame it down to loud levels and not extreme loud o or even room level sound?

79 2203

Reaction score
View attachment 133681
You don’t have to crank it to 10 for it to sound great. Both my stock 71 1987 and stock 70 Super Bass are set to 6 where they are crunching nicely and getting some sustain when you dig in, but still clean up well with the guitar vol and picking dynamics.
ACDC, Zeppelin etc didn’t crank their amps.

I use a Hotplate to tame my amps but I’m only taking 8-12db off so they are still reasonably loud.

Attachments

• C3A8D80A-671D-48EB-ADFB-5D10E8B7B755.jpeg
    C3A8D80A-671D-48EB-ADFB-5D10E8B7B755.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 2
  • A12671E1-66E6-4089-BE47-24818CAD7FC5.jpeg
    A12671E1-66E6-4089-BE47-24818CAD7FC5.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 2

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
You don’t have to crank it to 10 for it to sound great. Both my stock 71 1987 and stock 70 Super Bass are set to 6 where they are crunching nicely and getting some sustain when you dig in, but still clean up well with the guitar vol and picking dynamics.
ACDC, Zeppelin etc didn’t crank their amps.

I use a Hotplate to tame my amps but I’m only taking 8-12db off so they are still reasonably loud.
what is hotplate?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is hotplate?
There are a number of attenuators on the market these days that work really well, and at all price points. You probably should familiarize yourself with at least some of the options available.

Some of these attenuators have other features that may or may not be something you’re interested in. Do a little research so you can make an educated purchase.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The thing that makes it difficult to say, how much your sound changes, is, that, at the loud volumes where the 100 (or 50 watt) are pumping & getting the sound you want, it is also assaulting your ears w/ massive pressure.

When you tame the volume, once you get below the ear assault, it sounds different... a lot different. At least perceived difference, which is what will generally matter anyway. The amp will act different when attenuated to low volumes, vs just being turned down.

At volume, your speakers will sound different between loud & soft &... your eardrums will perceive sound different as well.

The room will also respond differently to different decibel levels.

The main point is to get a good sound at any level.

Now, what's a good sound? that will be subjectively different to you, me & everyone else out there. We may agree on certain sounds, sounding good, but, when it comes to playing, feeling & being inspired by our playing tone, only you can answer that for yourself.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
does it destroy the sound when you tame it or it it still the same...can you tell in percentages how much is the sound destroyed when you tame it down to loud levels and not extreme loud o or even room level sound?
It does not destroy the sound...

Latest posts