If This Was A 1959

• Thread starter AlvisX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

LyseFar

Reaction score
At that price, i'd hit it
If it ws a 2203 , I might seriously consider it

Recently - a year ago or something - I traded in a 2210 '89 1-to-1 with a high gain US made amp I had standing (series 1, 50 watt Mesa Boogie rect-o-verb head).
The 2210 was quite noisy. No service had been done ever I think, so I made full service -> tubes, caps, BIAS caps, ground scheme overhaul, cleanup.
Now it is a decent noisefree easy to dial in and fun-to-play amp and I am happy with the trade. These split channel amps are not as bad as their reputation.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
At that price, i'd hit it
If it was a 2203 , I might seriously consider it

Not this time, my friend!

I have a friend with a 2203 I am warming up on a sale and I think I might get in that ballpark. Funny how much one can turn his nose up upon, once he has the right JMPs… though I might have bitten if it was an ‘80s JCM 25/50.

V-man

Reaction score
I like the 2210 better than the 2203. If i had the extra $ I would defiantly snatch it.

Our old buddy, DH (NewReligion) showed us many of its capabilities back in the day confirming rather good tones were in there. My issue, especially these days have a lot to do with repair and replacement.

These suffered channel bleed and I believe another issue (perhaps) though I think the bleed was addressed in the later models of the production run. Maybe repairable, maybe not, but one more thing to worry about. The big issue is the proprietary switch that owners are now pretty much fucked on replacing if theirs goes out.

Other than that, Nobody seemed to be in love with the cleans, the reverb or that particular FX loop, so the only thing it had over the 2203 after writing those features off was the extra diode-driven gain… which I would expect could be met or exceeded with the Hot Mods and/or the right modern boost pedal on a single channel.That said, If I was back in my collecting days or didn’t have a 2203, it might be damned had to pass up.

LyseFar

Reaction score
These suffered channel bleed
As a footnote worth mentioning: I am quite sure that the channel bleed is "pr. design". They tried to mimic the Super Lead inputs where you can mix the channels. If or if not they succeeded with this is another discussion :)

Deftone

Reaction score
I have an '84 2205. It was modded for EL34's. It does have some channel bleed and it's somewhat noisy. I like it despite it's faults. it's a good sounding amp IMHO. I'm not sure it's meant to have a "Clean" channel. It's "Normal" and "Boost" for leads.

$1500 is cheaper than any other I've seen around here. The later models are supposed to have less issues.

*EDIT* I stand corrected. The price on the '89 2210 for sale locally has been dropped to $1500.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/d/sacramento-1989-marshall-jcm/7733576343.html

@AlvisX it can't hurt to go check it out.

Last edited:

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
Our old buddy, DH (NewReligion) showed us many of its capabilities back in the day confirming rather good tones were in there. My issue, especially these days have a lot to do with repair and replacement.

These suffered channel bleed and I believe another issue (perhaps) though I think the bleed was addressed in the later models of the production run. Maybe repairable, maybe not, but one more thing to worry about. The big issue is the proprietary switch that owners are now pretty much fucked on replacing if theirs goes out.

Other than that, Nobody seemed to be in love with the cleans, the reverb or that particular FX loop, so the only thing it had over the 2203 after writing those features off was the extra diode-driven gain… which I would expect could be met or exceeded with the Hot Mods and/or the right modern boost pedal on a single channel.That said, If I was back in my collecting days or didn’t have a 2203, it might be damned had to pass up.
All of this is true but what a glorious drive channel.
All the RATM albums were recorded with it.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
one thing to keep in mind is that the 2210/05s were revised in '85 and '87. The early ones had channel bleed issues and a weak lead channel. The channel bleed issue was solved in '85 and the lead channel was improved in the '87 revision. So this particular one being an '87 should be quite good. All the famous 2210/05 users (Morello/Schenker/Norum etc) use the post '87 version

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me personally , I can't get on with the drive channel

My 4212 after some "work" on the clean channel . I love it , but not interested in doing it to another amp

Latest posts