Im blown up with GAS

• Thread starter MickeyS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyS

Reaction score
I've been slowly itching for something new....and since I've been recovering from rotator cuff surgery, the youtube videos have been non stop. I have my top 3 amps that I would like to aquire, but I think number one is an Engl Fireball 100. That amp just sounds so "right" to me. The other two amps are the Orange Rockerverb and the EVH 5150 lll EL34. But, the Fireball is really pulling me to making an unnecessary but much wanted purchase. I'd like to check out the new founders special addition Engl but I'm not spending near 4 grand, I don't need one that bad lol. But the Fireball, yeah.

MickeyS

Reaction score
I ordered the Fireball 100.....should be here by Wednesday. I'm currently in a spat with my JVM lol. It's been a great amp and has served me well gigging. I could mod it and possibly resolve some of the issues I have with it, I still dig it but looking for a change of pace I suppose. We shall see!

MickeyS

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm excited! It will arrive tomorrow. I've relocated the JVM to make way for the Fireball on top of my 1960BV. If the Engl blows my socks off, I'll order the Engl cab. My OCD gets triggered not having matching shit. I'll strongly consider the XXL 4×12, not sure if that would be an ideal match with the Fireball, or the regular size cab.

Gutch220

Reaction score
pedal GAS is much cheaper and versatile in my opinion.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Guy had a fireball in a band that supported us one time. He got loads of different sounds out of it - all of them good. I remember being slightly envious.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only Engl I’ve ever played was a Steve Morse signature, and I don’t remember a thing about how it sounded. I’d love to get another crack at an Engl someday. I can’t wait to hear what you think of it.

MickeyS

Reaction score
20240213_114955_copy_586x781_1.jpg

Ok, this amp is really frigging good. Great eq balance, the clean channel is really nice, and with the gain cranked up it's heavy crunch that takes boosts well. The bright switch and bottom buttons work well on the clean channel to add some sparkle and beef. The lead channel kills. The noise gate works well. I dialed it in quickly, super straight forward. It has a somewhat modern flavor but it isn't overly compressed or lacking in frequencies.....there is plenty of punch, it hits harder than the JVM which is one of my gripes, this is closer in feel to a modded 800 with a boost, but somewhat refined. I only have a half hour on it, but I don't see myself sending it back lol. More to come.....

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not huge on modern metal tones, but part of me really wants an Engl Savage 60. Can’t wait to hear more about the Fireball!

MickeyS

Reaction score
I’m not huge on modern metal tones, but part of me really wants an Engl Savage 60. Can’t wait to hear more about the Fireball!
I would say I am with you on that. The Fireball has some modern flavor I suppose, but it's super punchy and in your face, not overly compressed and polite. It's gain structure is more on the wild, ragged side and man, it feels great under the hands. The low end is tight but big, and it holds together so nice, it's a chuggers dream. I immediately wanted to see what it does well, and what is outside of its strengths. The clean tones are great. If you crank the clean gain up, it's a crunch channel. The clean channel takes pedals really well. I had the gain all the way up on the clean channel, rolled the volume off on the neck pickup of my V and there is my clean plus crunch. Add an OD and it's in Priest territory. The lead channel is sick. String separation is great. The built in noise gain works really well, it is stone silent.....one of my big gripes about the JVM. One knob on the back of the head is all it would take to silence the OD channels on the JVM, even simpler that the JS model....in any case, the Fireball is really good, I'm having fun! I'm bringing it to band practice to see how it fairs with a multitude of covers ranging from Alice In Chains, ACDC, Journey to Tom Petty. The JVM covers all of that, as it should and does a great job. Let's see how the Engl does.....

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this Kyle Bull vid of the Fireball:

Kyle tends to talk a bit too much, but he makes the amp sound really good. Seems like he agrees with your assessment, @MickeyS. I might put this one on my list, rather than the Savage.

MickeyS

Reaction score
I watch Kyle as well, I enjoy his content. This dude does great videos as well, and this is a great representation of the Fireball. I believe he is a forum member here?

MickeyS

Reaction score
This video was actually the one that got my attention, the Fireball is the first up.

MickeyS

Reaction score
Update......I am gelling with this amp nicely. I ordered the Engl XXL oversized 4x12. This hits hard and punches nice....I does make everything sound heavy...and makes me play accordingly. Will it replace my JVM 410H as my main gigging amp? It is less versatile, but I did notice the JVM sitting in the corner sweating lol. Feel-wise the Engl is the winner, man it has punch and sounds chunky after. For heavier stuff in particular, which is what it was made for, it is a blast.