Interesting tuning...

• Thread starter Dogs of Doom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
So, I was playing some slide... I haven't really done it in some time, & so I whipped out a tuning

D G D G B D

I plugged into my Strat, that only has a hot-rod bridge pickup (SD Invader) & plugged in to the SC20.

Very gainy setup for slide, & I think I like slide better w/ a neck, as the bridge sounds thin.

So, I ditched the slide & started riffing around. I'm really liking the drop-D / drop-G tuning, but, not really gelling w/ riffing w/ the D on the high string, so... I tuned it back up to standard:

D G D G B E

this is a fun tuning. Maybe even more fun than drop-D

The relationship between the E & A string (now D & G), is the same as standard, but lower & slinkier, while you get the bar play on the drop tuning between the A & D strings (now G & D). Now, the rest of the guitar is standard tuning, so, the only thing is, that part of the guitar is a step higher. Playing stuff in D, on the rhythm feels like it would be in E, so everything on the standard has to be transposed down 1 step, which isn't really hard to adapt to, you just have to keep it in mind. I'm actually spending more time on it, than it is a factor...

Anyway, a fun way to play.

drop-D
drop-G

everything else standard...

if you want to keep in w/ the open D tuning, you can drop high E as well, but, I kind of like the idea of just being able to play it normally for lead riffing...

Last edited: