• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Ionian sharp 5 mode, any love for this mode ?

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
Recently I have revisited the harmonic minor modes. I got there through inverting the harmonic major modes, namely the phrygian b4 mode also known in arabic world as maqam Saba Zamzam. The inverted/mirrored (intervals up side down) Saba Zamzam maqam I treated as the fifth of Lydian #2, which would be the ionian sharp5 scale. However I was getting more of the lydian sound with spicy/shouty #2.
I tried various modal progression but then I really wanted to hear the ionian #5 without sounding muddy or atonal.
In the E ionian #5 mode I have settled on this:
G#/E and A/E. (=E in bass)
Improvising from the E ionian root, 3rd, #5th, 7th. The sound of the #5 is wonderful especially when approached the #5th from above.
I got some riff going here plus loads of shreading, tremolo picking, some downpicking and palmuting (practice):

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I won't be critical but I'll just say that I can't love that mode. Not in the slightest. A liittle dissonance and tension is spice in the music, but that's just way too spicy a meat-a-ball for me! It may work well for YOU, though, and that's what counts.

I find that modes are still somewhat confusing to me.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Ummm ...isn't that just "wordy" Major scale with the 5th augmented?

Ionain and Aeolian are a given.

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
I won't be critical but I'll just say that I can't love that mode. Not in the slightest. A liittle dissonance and tension is spice in the music, but that's just way too spicy a meat-a-ball for me! It may work well for YOU, though, and that's what counts.

Yes, modes are confusing but eventually they make sense. Then when they make sense, one needs to hone on the sound which set them apart from the other modes.
and yes I was getting dissonant results until I tried whats in the video, to my ears it gets warm and slightly dreamy but not dissonant unless it is used only over the home chord. The main riff is dissonant but in a good way, i hope ;)

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
The primary chords for this scale are:

I - E Aug
ii - F# min
III - G# Maj
IV - A Maj
v - B# dim
vi - C# dim
vii - D# dim

I just whipped up some progressions with those chords, and instead of playing the Ionian #5 scale over it, I switched to the coresponding scale of each chord. I haven't encountered a scale or mode that I don't like.

Last edited:

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
Ummm ...isn't that just "wordy" Major scale with the 5th augmented?

Ionain and Aeolian are a given.
You can look at it as Major scale with the 5th augmented indeed, you are right.
But if treated as Major scale with the 5th augmented it sounds atonal and muddy, it needs a special treatment ;)

Sapient

 
Reaction score

Ionian and Aeolian modes are not confusing:

Ionian = Major scale (C Major)
Aeolian = Minor scale (A minor = C's relative minor)

Sapient

 
Reaction score
You can look at it as Major scale with the 5th augmented indeed, you are right.
But if treated as Major scale with the 5th augmented it sounds atonal and muddy, it needs a special treatment ;)

True. To be modal you'll want to focus on #5 as root. :cheers:

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
The primary chords for this scale are:

I - E Aug
ii - F# min
III - G# Maj
IV - A Maj
v - B# dim
vi - C# dim
VII - D Maj

I just whipped up some progressions with those chords, and instead of playing the Ionian #5 scale over it, I switched to the coresponding scale of each chord. I haven't encountered a scale or mode that I don't like.
the #C is harmonic minor and the d is sharp = #D dim. toggling between #G major and A major with E note in the bass gives solid consonant sound rather than using the home chord E aug chord, try it ;)
E Ionian sharp 5.jpg

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
The v chord is B# - D# - F#. That's B# dim. You are correct on the vii being D# dim. I was trying to deal with a puppy and left the D natural in my brain.

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but try E Maj7/#5 for the I chord. It's not as dissonant as E Aug.
Yes, Emaj7 #5 are the same notes as G#/E.
For me, if I want a bit of movement in a mode and dont want to leave the mode, slash chords are the way to go with modal progressions).
My observation of G#/E <-> A/E :
the E bass note gives its tonality to the progression. It feels like when up on A, it wants to go down to G# and visa versa. After all, the full G# major and full A major chords are only semitone apart. Maybe dont double up on the "a" note and make sure the voicing of Amajor does not have the "a" note at the top or it will spill into A Lydian #2 through the high "a" note very quickly even more.
And this is very very important to get the sound, it sounds more full and consonant when compared with just the static Emaj7 aug chord and no modal progression.
Then focusing on chord notes of Emaj7 aug chord in soloing sounds great, try it in your playing, I hope you will be surprised in a good way ;)
I am quite enthusiastic with what I found and wanted to share this

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, because I don’t know much about all these modes and stuff , I just like to play things that sound decent to my ears.
Rusty thanks for posting your work brother.
Cheers

Latest posts