• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Is Dave Mustain right when he talks about the JVM?

• Thread starter lowinput
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lowinput

Reaction score
Dave is talking in some utube vids about the JVM. He says it's the ultimate amp head for him. it's being used exclusively in the studio now.
(he says he tours with another marshall amp and an amp modeler)
Is it the best studio amp marshall has made?
I can see Dave can get all sounds he wants from it at any level of volume.
The different channels would be a great help as well.
I think dave might be onto something here!

And those speaker boxes would be the ultimate as well. He talks about 'maximum punch' is the reason for the sealed and standard size. He said he was playing the Mode 4 boxes prior to the sig cab deal.
(I can see the reason for useing the mode 4 cabs, and could have been used on the end game recording) From what he said I think this is true.

All this adds up to some interesting info.
(maybe Joe satriani is thinking along the same path. the JVM is the best tool in the shop) Does Joe use standard V30's (dave wouldn't comment about his speakers in the vid)

I can see how other marshall models would have great sound but might miss something in studio use. do these other models make a difference in the studio? frank zappa used little pignose amps to record some songs.

Anyone want to comment?

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave is talking in some utube vids about the JVM. He says it's the ultimate amp head for him. it's being used exclusively in the studio now.
(he says he tours with another marshall amp and an amp modeler)
Is it the best studio amp marshall has made?
I can see Dave can get all sounds he wants from it at any level of volume.
The different channels would be a great help as well.
I think dave might be onto something here!

And those speaker boxes would be the ultimate as well. He talks about 'maximum punch' is the reason for the sealed and standard size. He said he was playing the Mode 4 boxes prior to the sig cab deal.
(I can see the reason for useing the mode 4 cabs, and could have been used on the end game recording) From what he said I think this is true.

All this adds up to some interesting info.
(maybe Joe satriani is thinking along the same path. the JVM is the best tool in the shop) Does Joe use standard V30's (dave wouldn't comment about his speakers in the vid)

I can see how other marshall models would have great sound but might miss something in studio use. do these other models make a difference in the studio? frank zappa used little pignose amps to record some songs.

Anyone want to comment?

I think what one person uses in the studio, another guy would simply not. Tone is subjective, and when recording tone is everything.

Satriani uses standard B cabs with 75's.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't take anything Dave Mustaine says seriously.
that said, these guys only play loud-rehearsal,recording,live,except for maybe warming up backstage & I doubt Dave bothers w/ that much.:rofl:

tone is in the ears...:thumb:

Grenade

Reaction score
tone is in the ears...:thumb:[/QUOTE] and the hands.:applause: We need a smilie with big ears.

Ghostman

Reaction score
....do you know what is ultimate for you - that's the real question.

Are you experienced? :cool2:

I'm a huge Megadeth fan, but I don't think I'll get an argument when I say he's not known for his killer tone.

That being said, the JVM is a BEAST of an amp. I've only played one at a big-box shop for only a few minutes and I'd give up anything for one of those amps. There is so many things you can do with that amp, it's sickening!

lowinput

Reaction score
What did you think about the JVM's performance when Dave played with metallica in the utube clip 'phantom Lord'? I thought it was pretty good. I thought the mic could have been better placed.

lowinput

Reaction score
WOW, that's interesting! he's onto something, I recon. watch this space.
I think dave knows what he's doing now.
He did make mention of marshall's being in the middle of the sound spectrum (hurtz)
"what you want is the mid range of the marshalls, for the guitar", dave.