• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Is my 1960ax a hybrid? Many anomalies here!

• Thread starter Human Steve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Human Steve

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my first post. Hope it works.
Anyway, I've got what looks like a 1960ax cab. Actually, it looks more like a vintage 70's era cab as the ax cabs have different tolex and that extra gold piping coming down from the top of the cab, and no plastic corners. Mine is basically a regular 1960 with checker cloth and English greenbacks (G12M).
So what I want to know is this. Is this a legitimate cab that Marshall has made at one point? Or did someone do a good job making this 1960 look good? In my search I have found other images of cabs that look just like this one. Even saw one in an interview with Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols. It was right next to him and clear as day, looks exactly like mine. So I'm really confused
Here are some of the anomalies...
-Back plate is Stereo jack, but not a stock 1960. My research tells me this plate can be found on the Vintage Modern cabs. It's got all the right info corresponding with a cab that has 25 watt greens. (100 watts, 50 per side, yadda yadda) but NO model number.
-The Marshall logo on the front is slightly smaller than a typical logo on a 1960a, yet appears to fit perfectly in the peg holes.
-The small block of wood that would be in the bottom corner to mount the gold 1960 badge is not there.
-Appears have been made in 2003 according to sticker inside, also says 1960A on that sticker as shown in photo. Not sure what the rest of the sticker indicates.
-Casters are too tight to fit when I try them in my other 1960 cabs, and roll a LOT smoother.
I'll post photos I already have, but if anyone is interested, I can take more.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 46

george76

Reaction score
probably just a marshall factory recover done to customer spec. it is definitely not a vintage cab.

the clue is on the label "REVAMP"

EL 34

Reaction score
it looks like a 1960ax except your cab has plastic corners and the stereo inputs. i think it was a custom order for those extras. the castors look standard.

Human Steve

Reaction score
it looks like a 1960ax except your cab has plastic corners and the stereo inputs. i think it was a custom order for those extras. the castors look standard.

I didn't know Marshall did custom orders and things like that, pretty cool.

LMP2204

Reaction score
Yeah somebody had to have a 75 era cab, elephant tolex, plastic corners, greenbacks and check cloth. looks like a typical 1960a cab with a 1960ax baffle.

damienbeale

Reaction score
I didn't know Marshall did custom orders and things like that, pretty cool.

Marshall will pretty much do whatever you want, if you take the time to visit and make it known you're serious, and have cash ready. An ex-bandmate of mine has a couple of custom all solid state 2X12 combo's (in blue tolex) that aren't quite like anything production at the time which I believe was the early AVT era. Sadly, valve amps just aren't his thing. They have no series designation or model designation on the faceplates or anything like that.

Human Steve

Reaction score
Marshall will pretty much do whatever you want, if you take the time to visit and make it known you're serious, and have cash ready. An ex-bandmate of mine has a couple of custom all solid state 2X12 combo's (in blue tolex) that aren't quite like anything production at the time which I believe was the early AVT era. Sadly, valve amps just aren't his thing. They have no series designation or model designation on the faceplates or anything like that.

I wonder if you can order custom items and have them shipped? I can't imagine going all the way to UK to do it. If I lived there I'd be visiting all the time!

Latest posts