Is Robin Trower playing 900's??

• Thread starter papa-seano
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

papa-seano

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEQ-0-tN0T0&feature=related]YouTube - Robin Trower - Too Rolling Stoned (Live)[/ame]

ckr1231

Reaction score
I saw him in Houston in 2009 and he had two of them. He sounded excellent and kicked ass. At one point, he had two wah wahs going at the same time.
I stood by the sound engineer and just smiled and never said a word. A perfect guitar performance !!!!

papa-seano

Reaction score
I've heard poor reviews about the 900 series ESPECIALLY on this forum.
Although i'm thinking if they're good enough for Robin..surely they are good enough for us mere mortals?

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Although i'm thinking if they're good enough for Robin..surely they are good enough for us mere mortals?

F*ck that. They are all good amps. It's just that some guys have better ears than others and know how to dial in an amp, Plain and simple!

David Hopkins :band:

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
JCM 900's have their place in music just like the rest of Marshall amps.......I personally love the 900 series amps and they get the job done for me in the band I play in......night after night and week after week. :D:D

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:lol: I haven't got a Clue. I just know that they have a much better Glidepath than other Marshall Heads by at least 29-42 Feet....

:lol::lol: TWIN

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
:lol: I haven't got a Clue. I just know that they have a much better Glidepath than other Marshall Heads by at least 29-42 Feet....

:lol::lol: TWIN

I find the 2204's are lighter and glide really nice in the snow. :lol::lol:

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
What happened to those signature amps someone was building for him? I saw him in 2008 and he had a JCM800 and an old four-holer with fawn colored cabs. FWIW, I've never heard a bad tone from Trower no matter what he's playing. Part of it is that he runs his amps wide open even in smaller venues.

trower.jpg

KH Guitar Freak

Reaction score
He was using a JCM 800 and a JMP at the same time. He decided to retire them, then used Vintage Modern for a while. After that, he got someone to build two amps for him, one of them being a signature model. Not sure what he is really using these days though...

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

most of that's just ballbusting. some is serious but, i had a 4500 and i loved it. I could care less what makes the amp, ss,tube or hybrid. If it sounds good it's good and to me it sounded good. it wasn't versatile enough for me though so i moved to a tsl then the DSL i currently use. I'll own both the other two again though. If you play it and like it then who cares right?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Robin's current rig consists of two Marshall vintage modern amplifiers each with a single 4X12” cabinet. The rig before this was a JCM800 and a much more modern amp which I believe was a JCM900. And the touring rig before that was a Marshall JCM800 hundred and a JMP 1959. Previous to that he was using Fender hot Rod de ville’s in the combo of Marshall and Fender.
His reasoning to change into the vintage modern amplifier was that the old JCM800 hundred and the JMP weren't reliable for touring but he seems to really like the vintage modern amp. He uses amplifiers made by Dennis Cornell when he records in the studio.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3nwpCfZOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3nwpCfZOA[/ame]

ironlung40

Reaction score
F*ck that. They are all good amps. It's just that some guys have better ears than others and know how to dial in an amp, Plain and simple!

David Hopkins :band:

+1 .........That's a fact..........zz top has used DR900's, as well as Steppenwolf, among many others both vintage sounding and newer school tone.......I've owned 800's and 900's among other amps as well, and I've liked the tone I've gotten out of all of em. I'm no pro player, not by a long shot, but I've never had trouble getting Marshall roar from any Marshall amp I have or have had.

khan

Reaction score
My guess is you give Trower any amp and he'd sound like Trower after fiddling with it a bit.

Trower74

Reaction score
I think he has the smoothest live tone and I'm going to see him at the Boulder Station here in Vegas in February. Of course you knew I was going to put my two cents in here!