Is The Gibson ES 335 The Most Versatile Guitar Ever Made?

• Thread starter axe4me
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These guys think it's a PRS. (for the sake of argument)
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think PRS's are goofy lookin'.
I'd take the Gibson.
Let's see if this thread goes off the rails....

jmp45

Reaction score
but I think PRS's are goofy lookin'

Hey Fitz, I'll bet this would get a vote for goofy.. ;) It's one my favorite guitars. Versatile enough for me.

parker_nitefly_zpskoi5t3fv.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Fitz, I'll bet this would get a vote for goofy.. ;) It's one my favorite guitars. Versatile enough for me.

parker_nitefly_zpskoi5t3fv.jpg

Ya know, I hit send and turned around and looked right at my Firebird and thought, well that a goofy looking guitar too.
But as far as versatile, my favorite guitar is actually an old POS Hondo.
If it fits like a glove, and you play whatever you want on it without thinking about it, it's your versatile guitar.

jmp45

Reaction score
Ya know, I hit send and turned around and looked right at my Firebird and thought, well that a goofy looking guitar too.
But as far as versatile, my favorite guitar is actually an old POS Hondo.
If it fits like a glove, and you play whatever you want on it without thinking about it, it's your versatile guitar.

You got a point there Fitz, they are a bit goofy but in a cool way. Gibsons always fit the bill here. What I don't have is a 335 so I really can't say Axe.

firebird01.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, @axe4me - i think we're off the rails.
But I will say a Gibson hollow is next on my wish list, and I do appreciate your vids & extensive collection.

GregM

Reaction score
Can't say definitively as I don't own a 335, but I do love my semi hollow, very very versatile, neck is so clean, can get soo dirty, good sustain, so I'd say probably yes.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the answer depends on what one means by most versatile. While I love 335s and currently own a 339, it's still just a guitar with two humbuckers. In terms of versatility, my vote would be for my PRS P22, which has a built in Piezo bridge saddle pickup, two humbuckers with coil splits, 5 way blade switch that can combine all sorts of pickup combinations, and a blend knob and switch to blend the Piezo pickup with the humbuckers.

This guitar offers more tonal variations than all of my other guitars.

PRS P22 M.JPG