Is the JCM Slash exactly the same as a Jubilee (2555)

• Thread starter Nickc6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nickc6

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a silver jubilee (2555) and I've found a JCM Slash for considerably less money. Are there any differences between the two? Also For those who happen to own the JCM Slash what's the tone like compared to a 50watt JMP (1987)? Anyway you can describe it will be helpfull thanks!!!

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
I gots me one of them there slash heads,......and I LOVE IT!! It is huge fat creamy smooth hi gain marshall goodness.

Now for the hard part, the comparison.

....well, no, i guess its not that hard, ....they sound nothing alike.....except both sound like marshalls but thats about where it stops.

Lets see,...the Jmp is suited perfectly for clean tones, bluesy, 60's, 70's classic rock, and boosted with an overdrive you can get into 80's metal vibe.

There is about where the Jub picks up,....great for hi-gain 80's rock/metal, and even newer metal. The jub is voiced somewhat darker, has WAY more gain, less agressive but smoother, less bright but creamy'r.....really just a different animal

I have a jcm 2203, which is similar to the JMP, and the Slash. I use the 2203 in my classic rock band with a greenback cab, and the Slash in my Metal band with a V30 cab. I "could" definately use either one for either gig.....but the way i'm doing it plays to both of their strengths.

It is my understanding that the slash is the same as the later year jubilees but im not 100% sure on that. I would have to advise you to get it, it is my second fav head ever, behind the 2203.....and i've had a shit load of heads.

Nickc6

Reaction score
:hmm: Wow !!! That's soundin pretty good.... The guy wants 1700 for it. is that pretty reasonable?

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
:hmm: Wow !!! That's soundin pretty good.... The guy wants 1700 for it. is that pretty reasonable?

maybe a hair on the high side,...i paid 1600 for mine, but i've seen em go for as low as like 1275.00 before...

Here ya go, print this out and tell him he's high, and that you'll give him 1400-1500

this one sold the other day for 1300
MARSHALL JCM SLASH SIGNATURE 100 AMP HEAD | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

gtrman

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the slash is the same as the later year jubilees but im not 100% sure on that. I would have to advise you to get it, it is my second fav head ever, behind the 2203.....and i've had a shit load of heads.

I have the JCM Slash and previously owned a 2553 and a 2550.
They all sound about the same.
And yes the Silver models is more expensive but they are the same amp so if you dont mind the color (!) & slash logo go for it !

jcmjmp

Reaction score
The biggest difference is going to be the clipping LEDs on the lead channel. I believe that the original jubilee had a lower forward bias voltage on its LEDs giving more distortion.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
i had both the slash and the 2555 jubilee and allthough the comparison is not at the same time because i sold the slash, i think i can safely say they both sounded awsome but the jubilee to me sounded more like an early 80's jcm 800 (an amp i still have) and the slash sounding like a great marshall should but a little more modern sounding. maybe that's due to the fact that the jubilee had the same drake transformers of the 80's and the slash has the 90's dagnalls and the difference in the led's mentioned earlier on this thread. i think they have the same circuit techniclly wise.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
i had both the slash and the 2555 jubilee and allthough the comparison is not at the same time because i sold the slash, i think i can safely say they both sounded awsome but the jubilee to me sounded more like an early 80's jcm 800 (an amp i still have) and the slash just sounding....well...like a great marshall should but a little more modern sounding. maybe that's due to the fact the the jubilee had the same drake transformers of the early 80's and the different led's from the slash mentioned earlier on this thread. i know they have the same circuit techniclly wise.

Do you remember whether the transformers on the Slash were the same? I think they had a different part number by then. That's also a part of the sound as you say.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Do you remember whether the transformers on the Slash were the same? I think they had a different part number by then. That's also a part of the sound as you say.
the slash had the 90's dagnalls in them

Nickc6

Reaction score
Big price difference for a name. You'd think it would be more expensive especially since it was a limited edition also. Im not a collector either pretty much everything I have I use live in some way. When I buy something new I try to get the best I can afford that covers a different tone zone from what I have at the time. Sounds like the slash amp will do this for me. Does anyone have opinions on drake vs dagnal?

jorual

Reaction score
Hi.

Marshall Jubilee Series, the later models called only 2555, 2550 series and the Slash JCM 2555 SL are the same.

The pream circuit is excatly the same in all models. The difference of sound can come for the power amp side depending it is 100W or 50W and depending on the tubes used.

I have both and they are the same.

Jubilee series are more expensive due to it is an Special Serie to conmmemorate the 25th aniverssary of Marshall amps in 1987. Slash used the Jubilee many years and in 1995 if I don't bad remember he had an special edition for this amp called JCM Salsh 2555 SL with the black Tolex and gold panel as JCM Marshalls.
:)

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Hi.

Marshall Jubilee Series, the later models called only 2555, 2550 series and the Slash JCM 2555 SL are the same.

The pream circuit is excatly the same in all models. The difference of sound can come for the power amp side depending it is 100W or 50W and depending on the tubes used.

I have both and they are the same.

Jubilee series are more expensive due to it is an Special Serie to conmmemorate the 25th aniverssary of Marshall amps in 1987. Slash used the Jubilee many years and in 1995 if I don't bad remember he had an special edition for this amp called JCM Salsh 2555 SL with the black Tolex and gold panel as JCM Marshalls.
:)

As stated earlier - some key components are different, causing very noticeable differences in tone.