• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JCM 800 2203 1985 whistle, mods

lamortemifabello

Reaction score
Hi guys, congratulations on this amazing forum. I recently bought a 1985 JCM 800 head. It was giving me an issue on the high input with the preamp cranked. I replaced the preamp tubes and it’s much better now, but there's still a whistle when the guitar volume is turned down. Before making further changes, I opened the chassis and noticed it has been modified. Can you help me understand what modifications were made and what could be causing the whistle? I've been learning a lot from reading this forum and I want to thank everyone. Thank you from Italy!

Attachments

• 2024-10-03 12.36.45.jpg
    2024-10-03 12.36.45.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2024-10-03 12.36.50.jpg
    2024-10-03 12.36.50.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 15

rtcook

Reaction score
Looks like that pile of grey caps are replacing the large filter caps. I see some disconnected but can completely tell from the pics. Not sure if that is the cause of the whistle, but if it were mine I'd be changing the large filter caps on the chassis back to stock and look at the wiring.

Last edited:

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good god... Not only is that terrible work but it's incredibly dangerous to have exposed terminals on heavy parts that aren't properly mounted. That nonsense has to be removed. Once the filter capacitors and bias caps are replaced the amp should work fine. Of course now you will need to follow the correct schematic to ensure it's done properly. Looks like they cut some of the existing wires so you'll have to run new ones to avoid unnecessary splices. I would discontinue operation of the amplifier until this is corrected.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Looks like they connected several "generic" caps in series to replace the disconnected chassis mounted cap. Agree with replacing the chassis mounted cap and returning to stock wiring. May, or may not have anything to do with the "whistling', but it's not the right way to repair an amp.