JCM 800 2205 compares to JMP Mk2 50 watt 4 input

• Thread starter lennon08
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lennon08

Reaction score
OK, I am thinking about trading a Roccaforte Custom 40 head for a late 70's JMP MK2 50 watt 4 input head non master volume. I already have a 1987 JCM 800 2205. How similar are the 2 Marshalls?

Thanks for any help!

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very different beasts. The 2205 has some diode clipping distortion, a master volume, reverb and channel switching abilities. The JMP you're referring to (model 1987) has no master volume, and no frills. There is a lot you can do with this amp since it is so pure, I love these things and I think they are awesome. The way to get distortion/overdrive on these bad boys is to just crank them up. On the treble input you should be able to get distortion pretty early and there are plenty of ways to get both good clean and distorted tones out of the amp.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and no depending on the style and what you're really looking for in an amp.
Some people will just keep it turned down and have a distortion or overdrive/boost pedal in front of it which should work fine if you're looking for dirty tones. Clean tones are perfect at low volumes.
Some other people want the holy grail of tone at the whisper of a mouse which is nuts and you'll never get that on any amp turned to -1. I'm pretty sure you'd still be happy with it, if you can play the 2205 in the apartment, you can easily turn down and use a pedal (or not) in front of the JMP and it won't be too overbearing.

lennon08

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to do the trade. The Marshall looks like it just came out of the box. It even has the original tubes in it.

I live in a house now but plan on selling it once the market turns and move the NYC area which means rent for awhile.

Latest posts