Jcm 800 Settings With Tube Screamer

jamest

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need to know how I should set my amp, when I put Tube Screamer in send/return. I mean, I don't know if is better to use the clean channel or boost channel and, if I use the boost, how I have to set the gain from amp? My favourite suond is the classic 80's crunchy distorsion like Scorpions, Dokken, Def Leppard ecc... My amp is a JCM 800 4210.

Jay76

Reaction score
I would use something less mid heavy and more natural sounding like a Boss BD-2 in front of a marshall rather than a TS. TS pedals are great for Fenders but tend to muddy up Marshalls and have a bass cut. IMO of course.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea..no ts in the loop..and a 4210, isn't that a combo version of a 2205? You shouldn't need a tubescreamer to get you to scorps, leppard,dokken area..that amp has one pretty much built in. But if you must.. put it in front, with the drive down and level up as a clean boost. Then set amp gain to taste.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Yea..no ts in the loop..and a 4210, isn't that a combo version of a 2205? You shouldn't need a tubescreamer to get you to scorps, leppard,dokken area..that amp has one pretty much built in. But if you must.. put it in front, with the drive down and level up as a clean boost. Then set amp gain to taste.

This!

jamest

Reaction score
Yeah, I know that JCM 800 doesn't need a tube screamer, but I'm trying to understand why mine sounds a little bit colder than normal. Maybe low bias or I begin to play too early. How much time I have to wait before to use tubes at right temperature?

Adrian R

Reaction score
Yeah, I know that JCM 800 doesn't need a tube screamer, but I'm trying to understand why mine sounds a little bit colder than normal. Maybe low bias or I begin to play too early. How much time I have to wait before to use tubes at right temperature?

6550s, are kinda cold to start with...but, check bias might be over biased.

hpharley90

Reaction score

When your getting sound their ready..2 minutes tops....

JCarno

Reaction score
Hi james, I see you're admitting to not needing a TS but you haven't acknowledged that you have tried it out front instead of through the loop. Have you?
Good luck on getting things sorted!! :cheers:

johan.b

Reaction score
4210 sounds hard/ cold because the presence is internally set to around 8. Snip one end of the resistor sitting in place of the pot on the pcb (next to the standby switch) and push it to the side and all will be fine...
J

Dmann

Reaction score
sounds like it's time for new tubes

Shae201

Reaction score
V1 is your first gain stage(most dramatic change in sound) I use an EI NOS tube, V2 is your clean or non boosted channel, V3 is your final gain stage tube, V4 is your reverb recovery and V5 is your phase Inverter (I use Sovtek 12ax7LPS). I would replace Power Tubes if you think they are lifeless.

jamest

Reaction score
Hi james, I see you're admitting to not needing a TS but you haven't acknowledged that you have tried it out front instead of through the loop. Have you?
Good luck on getting things sorted!! :cheers:
Man, I'm definitely ignorant about effects or pedals, because I don't like that. But, in the last time, my friend is making me a handcrafted TS as a present. For this reason, I would like to try it and see if I can reach a hotter tone.

jamest

Reaction score
V1 is your first gain stage(most dramatic change in sound) I use an EI NOS tube, V2 is your clean or non boosted channel, V3 is your final gain stage tube, V4 is your reverb recovery and V5 is your phase Inverter (I use Sovtek 12ax7LPS). I would replace Power Tubes if you think they are lifeless.
I have a Mullard in V1, RFT in V2, Telefunken in V3, Philips in V4 and V5, a pair of EL34 Electro Harmonix as power tubes. I hope I'm counting the tubes in the right way XD

Last edited:

jamest

Reaction score
sounds like it's time for new tubes
I got a pair of Siemens EL34 as substitutes for the actual Electro Harmonix, but I want to be sure that the problem is "dead tubes".

jamest

Reaction score
4210 sounds hard/ cold because the presence is internally set to around 8. Snip one end of the resistor sitting in place of the pot on the pcb (next to the standby switch) and push it to the side and all will be fine...
J
Johan, I'm interested about what you're saying but, could you be more specific? what you mean with "presence"?

johan.b

Reaction score
The amp heads have a "presence" knob so you can push ~1500hz and up, a little more to cut through. .to save space in the combo chassis.they replace that pot with a set resistor. Its value corresponds roughly to where that knob could have been around 8 on the dail.. it makes the power amp tilted to the treble side (it's not flat frequency wise) to my ears it makes it hard/harsh and i want to "squeeze my ears"...just cutting that resistor will make power amp frequency responce flatter. .to see what i mean. Plug something you're familiar with, such as a stand alone preamp /pedal( our an acoustic guitar. .?.), into the fx return, thereby only using the power amp..

BowerR64

Reaction score
I think of all the OD pedals ive tried i use something other then a Tube Screamer now. The Soul Food i like better or even the OCD or the Joyo ultimate drive.

Those 3 pedals dont roll back the low end and thats one of the things i like over the TS