JCM 900 MKIII & SL-X + Hot Mod V2 (Clips Added)

• Thread starter marshallmellowed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
And still satisfied w it? Did it affect master volume at all? Any negatives?
Yes, I still like it, and no drawbacks that I've noticed. The audio clips don't really do it justice, as they were done with a camera mic. Now that I have the Boss TAE, I should do some decent recordings. Just hard to find time these days.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Just a quick one of the MKIII 2500 using the Boss TAE. Just makes you want to play that type of stuff.

Hot Mod V2 Installed - Low gain setting, Bass switch up
Pres. - 0
Bass, Mid., Treb. - 5
Sens. - 0
Vol. - 3
Master Vol. - 5

Last edited:

KV242

Reaction score
I have a 2100 mkiii and it’s a beast, all of its own. It’s unlike previous Marshall amps in its darker tone. I run mine similarity to your. I don’t often use the gain sensitivity and usually keep it at zero unless I’m goofing around with tone. I also put a jumper in the fx loop but run close to parity. I want to boost it now that you mention it and compare the difference. in addition I run a nos Mullard long plate in V1 and and 60s Mullard short plates in the rest.

I also have a jmp 2204 and jcm800 2203. While those two amps are quite similar in tone, the mkiii 2100 is worlds apart from them I find, with the mkiii so much darker and a little less “rip your face off” output than the 2204 and 2203. The tone of the 2100 is still magnificent Marshall tone, but it’s different than what came before it. It was a 90s thing.

I lucked out and picked mine up about 10 years ago for a smoking deal. I could flip it now and make something on it, but it has a spot in my cave and I couldn’t let it go. I’ve done several gigs with it, played the hell out of it, and it’s been great!

I would love to try an SLX and compare, and the thought of a hotmods sort of thing I find quite intriguing.

abkeller1

Reaction score
I have a 2100 mkiii and it’s a beast, all of its own. It’s unlike previous Marshall amps in its darker tone. I run mine similarity to your. I don’t often use the gain sensitivity and usually keep it at zero unless I’m goofing around with tone. I also put a jumper in the fx loop but run close to parity. I want to boost it now that you mention it and compare the difference. in addition I run a nos Mullard long plate in V1 and and 60s Mullard short plates in the rest.

I also have a jmp 2204 and jcm800 2203. While those two amps are quite similar in tone, the mkiii 2100 is worlds apart from them I find, with the mkiii so much darker and a little less “rip your face off” output than the 2204 and 2203. The tone of the 2100 is still magnificent Marshall tone, but it’s different than what came before it. It was a 90s thing.

I lucked out and picked mine up about 10 years ago for a smoking deal. I could flip it now and make something on it, but it has a spot in my cave and I couldn’t let it go. I’ve done several gigs with it, played the hell out of it, and it’s been great!

I would love to try an SLX and compare, and the thought of a hotmods sort of thing I find quite intriguing.
Thank you, someone finally says the MKIII sounds different than the 800. Most keep saying they sound a like and they don't. Your description is spot on.

abkeller1

Reaction score

I have an SL-X and a 2204. If you don't push the gain up that much it's pretty similar to the 2204. I just put a EQ in the loop and boost a little high end and your there. I've never tried an MKIII but would love to at some point.

Latest posts