Jcm2000

• Thread starter get_even666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

get_even666

Reaction score
At the moment i have a JCM900 2100 mk3 head. I am considoring selling this and getting a JCM2000 DSL100, any ideas on whether this is a good/bad choice or whatnot?

Which amp is better in everyones opinions, and why?

I have played both and i have to say the JCM2000 seems to have a wider range of sound. Does the JCM2000 have a sturdy rep on here with everyone?

Cradlefish

Reaction score
the DSL is a great amp. I sold my 2210 and 6100 and decided to go with the DSL 50. All I can say is that every time I flip that standby button to off. I always have a smile on my face. The other two didn't do that for as much as the DSL does. I've even played the JVM several times at GC and it didn't impressed me. DSL all the way!

Adwex

Reaction score
Get rid of the 900 and get the DSL. I don't think it has a 1/2 power switch, but if you really want to reduce the power, there is an easy way.

The 2000's aren't as reliable as previous models, but I'd rather have a DSL than a 900 anyday.

get_even666

Reaction score
Hmm arent as reliable? Is there a particular reason for that? Yeah i guess i could go for a DSL100, in my opinion it has a better clean, and the advantage of two channels.

Any JCM900 fans out there that think what im considoring is sacrelidge?

What easier way are you refering to?

Adwex

Reaction score
Hmm arent as reliable? Is there a particular reason for that? Yeah i guess i could go for a DSL100, in my opinion it has a better clean, and the advantage of two channels.

The JCM2000's have design and construction features that can be less than rugged. All the circuit boards, and pots mounted directly to the boards, can fail if not treated gently. That said, the DSL is not a bad amp.

If you want to halve the power of a 100 Watt tube amp, you can remove a pair of the power tubes. Must be the INNER (2nd and 3rd) or OUTTER (1st and 4th) ones. To compensate for the missing pair of tubes, the impedance selector on the amp must be set for 1/2 the actual speaker impedance.....16 ohm cab, set the amp for 8.

I have a JCM900 50 Watt dual reverb head.......believe me, the DSL 100 is better.

Adam

get_even666

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice Adwex. I can feel you pushing me towards a DSL100 so I'm pretty much just gonna get one. Won't hurt will it.:hmm:

Adwex

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice Adwex. I can feel you pushing me towards a DSL100 so I'm pretty much just gonna get one. Won't hurt will it.:hmm:

My pleasure, glad to help. Yes, I am pushing you toward a DSL because I have a 900. They suck (well, mine does at least). I also jammed with a guy a couple days ago, he was using the 100 Watt dual reverb version. IT SUCKED TOO!!! Swapping it out for a DSL might hurt the wallet a little at first, but a year or 2 later after you've forgotten about the expense, you'll be glad you did it.

If you do get it, I'd be very interested to hear your observations and comparisons.

Adam

Reaction score
I'd agree with those comments too. Whilst I've never owned a 2000, I have owned two 800s, two SLPs, a JTM45, a club and country and now have a 2204, a 2150 and a 2245. The 900 50 watt combo I had just didn't really achieve an open glassy valve sound which everyone wants. It was too fizzy and thin. I think the 900s were the worst amps Marshall made, so you'll never regret getting rid. Personally I would go backwards in time to an 800 or a JMP if I were you, but the modern ones have their advantages I guess. I hear the JVMs are not as good as the 2000s so a 2000 it is then!
Jason North Blues Band are on myspace and youtube!

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vintage Modern baby:headbanger: Vintage Modern, its all about the KT66's

Spirit Dave

Reaction score
What do you want the amp for ?

I owned the Vintage Modern and NOTHING touches it for a certain sound ... but ... I sold it and now own a DSL 100 ... best thing I did for my sound ... in this case. Every scenario is different ... you need to be more explanatory about what you wanna achieve for people's opinions to count more :)

One last thing tho ... ignore the taking valves out option. You don't need to. The amp doesn't have to be maxxed out to sound great... :)

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea you can easily play them at lower master volume levels and
still sound good.
I have a DSL, 800, 900 and the Vintage Modern

lennon08

Reaction score
OK, here is my two cents. I spoke with a very reputable amp repair guy in Atlanta this week about why all the hatred for the TSL's. Anyway, his opinion (yes opinion) is that Marshall really hasn't made an amazing amp since the early 70's. He feels the TSL's are just as good as the 900's and 800's.This is guy hand makes his own amps and really knows quality.

Basically it comes down to if you like the sound then it rocks! I had a Crate solid state amp in HS and thought it was awesome. Like what you like! Don't worry about going against the grain!

Spirit Dave

Reaction score
OK, here is my two cents. I spoke with a very reputable amp repair guy in Atlanta this week about why all the hatred for the TSL's. Anyway, his opinion (yes opinion) is that Marshall really hasn't made an amazing amp since the early 70's. He feels the TSL's are just as good as the 900's and 800's.This is guy hand makes his own amps and really knows quality.

Basically it comes down to if you like the sound then it rocks! I had a Crate solid state amp in HS and thought it was awesome. Like what you like! Don't worry about going against the grain!

Yeah, opinion is interesting ... I'll be honest, I think his opinion is utter tripe ... because I don't know about you, but I don't want the old sound. I don't want a vintage sound anymore. I'm into a more modern sound. The JMP's, Superleads etc ... they can't do those sounds. They're designed for a certain sound.

My DSL may not be the vintage lovers amp ... but it does a damn fine job for me :)

Adwex

Reaction score
OK, here is my two cents. I spoke with a very reputable amp repair guy in Atlanta this week about why all the hatred for the TSL's. Anyway, his opinion (yes opinion) is that Marshall really hasn't made an amazing amp since the early 70's.

Hmmm, that's interesting because I've heard several people say that the Marshall Silver Jubilee amps from 1987 were among the best sounding amps Marshall ever made. I have one, and I tend to agree....so does Steve Morse, Joe Bonamassa, and Slash, to name a few.

Publius

Reaction score
I must say I agree with all you guys. I own a DSL 100 which sounds divine and my kind of style is classic rock-progressive-psychedelic kind of blue. I've "seen" the DSL cut through many productions of several tastes of music. For example Matt Bellamy of Muse was using until recently the DSL and I believe he still uses them on studio recordings not live situations. The guitarists of Orgy were using them as well. This is why the DSL it is an all around amp. On the other hand I must say that it is not a rect therefore you won't be able to sound like "Evanessence". But it will be easier to arrange your sound more like most of the legends, even if the legends don't use the DSL, its enormously versatile.
Hope I helped

PTV

Reaction score

Hi

Ive just sold my JCM900 4500 DR.

I loved it and it was very reliable, but ive gone for a DSL JCM2000 also.

Do what your ears want :dude:

tarznamps

Reaction score
Just got one and love it through my 925A cab.

It's amazing how popular these amps are. Saw on here where one guy said they would be the "popular vintage" amp in 20 years.

Also funny that there is a belief that 800's rule / 900's suck and DSL's rule / TSL's suck. Glad I have an 800 and DSL!