Jcm2000

• Thread starter get_even666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vintager12

Reaction score
I like more the VM , NEXT WEEK ILL GET M :)

Last edited:

Xiderpunk

Reaction score
Quite honestly I am not sure why anyone would buy the 900 over the DSL, the SLX model (undisputed champ of the 900 series) is very weak sounding against a DSL, the gain is more fizzy for some reason and it lacks body.

In respect of legends playing DSL: Gary Moore on his DSL

Btw Dave, Trissy said much good stuff about your brothers gig, I am sorry I wasn't able to make it!

psphill27

Reaction score
My pleasure, glad to help. Yes, I am pushing you toward a DSL because I have a 900. They suck (well, mine does at least). I also jammed with a guy a couple days ago, he was using the 100 Watt dual reverb version. IT SUCKED TOO!!! Swapping it out for a DSL might hurt the wallet a little at first, but a year or 2 later after you've forgotten about the expense, you'll be glad you did it.

If you do get it, I'd be very interested to hear your observations and comparisons.

Adam

I don't know Adam...I agree, I love my DSL 50, but I also have a VM and a JCM 900 MkIII 50 watt and the thing is badass. I've heard that the dual reverbs weren't a very good amp...I now a lot of dudes like the SL-X (too much gain for me), but the MkIII series is a great sounding amp. You just have to set it right. If I didn't need clean, I could do a show with it and it would totally kick ass.

With that said...back to the original subject of the thread. If you can only keep one amp, I would get the DSL. Very versatile amp and I love playing live with mine. However, keep the JCM900 also if you can. doesn't hurt to have an extra head. Might even want to run an A/B/Y switch if you like certain sounds it gives you.

My two cents. While it may not be the best Marshall amp ever...I won't argue that point...and I've also owned a Jubilee in the past which was my favorite. I personally don't see a problem with the JCM 900 MkIII or the SL-X if you want a gain monster.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
He feels the TSL's are just as good as the 900's and 800's.This is guy hand makes his own amps and really knows quality.

I'm not a fan of the TSL or anything but saying that the TSL's quality is on par with a JCM800 and JCM900 is Bullsh*t. If it were me, I wouldn't go to an amp tech like that as he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly I am not sure why anyone would buy the 900 over the DSL, the SLX model (undisputed champ of the 900 series) is very weak sounding against a DSL, the gain is more fizzy for some reason and it lacks body.

In respect of legends playing DSL: Gary Moore on his DSL

Btw Dave, Trissy said much good stuff about your brothers gig, I am sorry I wasn't able to make it!

I thought putting what tubes you use in your sig was great info for us DSL users. I did it in mine too. Hope you don't mind. Yours looks cooler still!:h5:

I had a 900 and I like the tones in my DSL much better especially playing blues, rock, and heavy rock.

Xiderpunk

Reaction score
Pleased it is of help, although I can't claim it as my idea.. I think a couple of other posters on here also do the same so I unashamedly stole the idea from them. :)

I am still playing around with tubes, particularly the power tubes, the KT77's I currently have in I am still not sure about. The low end is almost overwhelming so have found myself dialing out more bass than usual on the amp's EQ. Jury still out therefore on the KT77's.

Also hoping to get another NOS mullard for V2 as addicted to the sound of the mullard in V1. The break-up is just gorgeous, how are you finding the CV4024?.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pleased it is of help, although I can't claim it as my idea.. I think a couple of other posters on here also do the same so I unashamedly stole the idea from them. :)

I am still playing around with tubes, particularly the power tubes, the KT77's I currently have in I am still not sure about. The low end is almost overwhelming so have found myself dialing out more bass than usual on the amp's EQ. Jury still out therefore on the KT77's.

Also hoping to get another NOS mullard for V2 as addicted to the sound of the mullard in V1. The break-up is just gorgeous, how are you finding the CV4024?.

Cool man. Now I don't feel weird about it.:dude:

I liked the KT-77's. Thought they were a good match for a bright amp. Nothing wrong with having to Eq differently unless tone is sacrificed. I liked how these came out on the clean channel as well.

I really like the Tung Sols's meat. Good match for the DSL. Ruby's are the cheapest price wise but suprised the crap out of me. Another good match.

I got the idea of using the 12AT7 CV4024 from another DSL user who was ready to get rid of the amp. He said he used the CV4024 in V1 and then a JAN Philips 12AX7WA in V2 and was keeping his amp it was so good.

With the AT7 only I noticed more articulation and to me the gain was not noticeably less and I thought sounded better. I then added the Jan in there in V2 with the AT7 and noticed more mids in the gain. Still nice but I wasn't wanting that. So I settled on the CV4024 only.

I think it was an improvement. It sure didn't hurt anything and the Mullard is a hell of alot cheaper than the Jan.

I roll tubes in my HT Dual too. I didn't like the CV4024 in it cause it actually did tame it a bit more than I liked. In the HT the Jan sounded really good so here a 12AX7 was better although ya got to remember there is only one tube in the pedal.

How much are the Mullard NOS 12AX7's going for?

Xiderpunk

Reaction score
The one I have I bought untested with a batch of other Mullard radio type valves of various types, a couple of which date from 1959. Got the batch containing 1 ECC83 for £10, it is an early 12ax7 according to the yellow markings (afaik). None of the valves had ever been used and came from a collector now deceased.

It sounds really good, but no idea what the emissions are like on it as no means to test it.

That all aside, £10.00 was a bit lucky.. on ebay in the UK NOS Mullards range from £15-£65 with plenty of them around.

In respect of the KT77's I probably need to get more time with them to get used to the EQ changes, as you say it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Adwex

Reaction score
I don't know Adam...I agree, I love my DSL 50, but I also have a VM and a JCM 900 MkIII 50 watt and the thing is badass. I've heard that the dual reverbs weren't a very good amp...I now a lot of dudes like the SL-X (too much gain for me), but the MkIII series is a great sounding amp. You just have to set it right. If I didn't need clean, I could do a show with it and it would totally kick ass.

With that said...back to the original subject of the thread. If you can only keep one amp, I would get the DSL. Very versatile amp and I love playing live with mine. However, keep the JCM900 also if you can. doesn't hurt to have an extra head. Might even want to run an A/B/Y switch if you like certain sounds it gives you.

My two cents. While it may not be the best Marshall amp ever...I won't argue that point...and I've also owned a Jubilee in the past which was my favorite. I personally don't see a problem with the JCM 900 MkIII or the SL-X if you want a gain monster.

Yeah, my 900 (4500) was the worst of the series, that thing just would not sound good no matter what. It was thin, and "grainy", for lack of a better term...no "body", as someone else mentioned. Without an EQ in the loop to boost low frequencies, it was horrible. I bought it new in the early 90's, because that was the 2 channel Marshall in the stores at the time. I've heard that the SL-X and the MkIII were much better.

Ya live, ya learn.

Back to topic...If I ever had to replace my Jubilee for whatever reason, and I needed to keep the cost down, the DSL 100 would be the one I'd get...or maybe the 50, not sure.

psphill27

Reaction score
Yeah...agree I love the DSL...great amp. I bought the 50 since it allows me to drive the output tubes harder without as much volume. If I were playing staduims and large venues, then I'd definately go with the 100.