JCM2000TSL - Send/Return Problem

LucaMetalMyLife

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL, it sounds awesome, but when I plug any pedal through the FX loop the volume suddenly drops.
If I hit the top of the head with my hand, the problem solves temporarily , but after 1 or 2 minutes of playing the volume drops another time.
I am an engineer and I know how my head works, but I can't understand why there is this issue.
I have tried a lot of pedals like Chorus, Reverb and Delay but the problem persists.
If I plug directly the send with the return of the amplifier with a patch cable the problem occurs.

What can I do?
I have tried to replace some diodes in the FX loop circuit, I have tested all the trimmers in the board and they work fine.
I can't find a solution or even understand where the problem is.

Thank you!

Keep rockin' with <3

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not too familiar with your amp, but some Marshalls do loose a bit of volume when the loop is engaged.

This occurs mostly at low volumes, and as you turn the amp louder and louder the discrepancy goes away.

Although I don’t recall anyone referring to their Tsl as having this situation.

Others will be along to give a better diagnosis than I can.

Btw, :welcome: to The Marshall Forum.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently bought a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL, it sounds awesome, but when I plug any pedal through the FX loop the volume suddenly drops.
If I hit the top of the head with my hand, the problem solves temporarily , but after 1 or 2 minutes of playing the volume drops another time.
I am an engineer and I know how my head works, but I can't understand why there is this issue.
I have tried a lot of pedals like Chorus, Reverb and Delay but the problem persists.
If I plug directly the send with the return of the amplifier with a patch cable the problem occurs.

What can I do?
I have tried to replace some diodes in the FX loop circuit, I have tested all the trimmers in the board and they work fine.
I can't find a solution or even understand where the problem is.

Thank you!

Keep rockin' with <3
:welcome: To the forum
Hope there is nothing really wrong with your amp, I have no first hand experience with your amp brother.
Cheers
Mitch

CraigerSS

Reaction score
Could be dirty F/X loop connector contacts, this can be a common problem with f/x loops.
Try cleaning the loop connector contacts, check for cold solder joints or replace them.
Plug a patch cable in to the loop and wiggle the plugs to see if fixes it or makes it worse.
Also, on my DSL50 the -10/+4db switch can be finicky, clean those contacts too.

GT08

Reaction score
Clean the sockets....check socket contacts.

How do the level push buttons effect it?

Does it occur on both loops?

Rock n' roll

LucaMetalMyLife

Reaction score
I’m not too familiar with your amp, but some Marshalls do loose a bit of volume when the loop is engaged.

This occurs mostly at low volumes, and as you turn the amp louder and louder the discrepancy goes away.

Although I don’t recall anyone referring to their Tsl as having this situation.

Others will be along to give a better diagnosis than I can.

Btw, :welcome: to The Marshall Forum.

Yes, I mean....it drops the 90% of the volume and the bass are cutted.

LucaMetalMyLife

Reaction score
Clean the sockets....check socket contacts.

How do the level push buttons effect it?

Does it occur on both loops?

Rock n' roll

Hi, what push buttons do you mean? The FxLoopA and FxLoopB?
They don't affect the volume, I can't understand how they work.

Thanks

LucaMetalMyLife

Reaction score
Could be dirty F/X loop connector contacts, this can be a common problem with f/x loops.
Try cleaning the loop connector contacts, check for cold solder joints or replace them.
Plug a patch cable in to the loop and wiggle the plugs to see if fixes it or makes it worse.
Also, on my DSL50 the -10/+4db switch can be finicky, clean those contacts too.
I will try that.

Thank you

LucaMetalMyLife

Reaction score
I just turn my amp up a touch as I always use loop. It shouldnt however get louder amd quieter as youhit the top. Have you tried changing pre amp tubes? Could well be that too
I don't think so.
I mean, when I don't use the fx loop the problem never occours...

LucaMetalMyLife

Reaction score
Does the amp have a line level switch? Usually they are -10 and +4 db. have you tried switching it in out?
Hi, I tried to push in and out the loop level A and loop level B in all combinations you can set...
Nothing changes.

GT08

Reaction score
Download and print the manual.....it's free.

Rock n' roll