JCM800 2412 loud hum

• Thread starter CrackerJack70
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrackerJack70

Reaction score
Hi gang, I'm brand new to the forum and have a question about my 87 JCM 800 2412. About a year or so ago I bought it replaced the filter caps and re-tubed the amp (tubes were bought off a friend as NOS so not sure how much life they actually have in them) and also put in Vintage 30's. Yesterday I had the amp cranked and noticed a pretty aggresive loud hum. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks guys...

dtier

Reaction score
If it came on suddenly and is affecting tone, it could be a power tube failing which can be dangerous to the OT. Make sure it is fused correctly. You might see a power tube plate glowing (red plating) if this is whats happening. If it is more just an annoying hum when not playing perhaps a preamp tube. Did the bias supply caps get changed too?

LyseFar

Reaction score
Clean the impedance selector switch with deoxit and the plugs for the reverb tank also. Clean tube sockets and input jack … yes a good clean on all the items that corrodes.
Of course with the power off and drained filter caps.
(I assume you mean model 4212) ?

Latest posts