JCM900 bliss(don't tell anyone)

• Thread starter cicone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cicone

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and info here. I have a 1990 JCM900 2500 MKIII, 1960A w/Vintage 30's and a MIM Fat Strat circa '04. I liked the way everything sounded.....but something seemed lacking. I'm not much of an effects guy, but I am a certified tone chaser/tweaker and get as much enjoyment with that as I do playing---maybe more. For effects I have a DS1---nasty on the Marshall, great on a Fender. I don't use it. I do use my fulltone OCD and DejaVibe when needed and they sound wonderful. Still something missing--a fullness, low growl---something new pups might cure??? I was leaning that way until the MXR 10 band equalizer got in the chain. Hands down, this is a must have component. JCM800?? it's in there along with a host of other Marshall tones. $125 bucks with tax. This is the ticket. Sounds great in front of the amp before and after the effects or straight up. Haven't tried it in the FX loop, but if the recommendation holds true, it should sound even better there. I couldn't be more pleased. My rigs sound quality just went from good to great. I am not kidding. :dude:

Last edited:

Rhys210593

Reaction score
I tried my effects loop with a wah plugged in.... This is the way forward!! XD cant imagine how a mxr phaser + carbon copy is gonna sound! :hippie:

cicone

Reaction score
+1 mines in the effects loop. Might as well solder it there because I'll never play without it

It really is amazing. Thanks to Adrian R for some guidance. This is the sound in your head that drives you crazy.

Rhys210593

Reaction score
It really is amazing. Thanks to Adrian R for some guidance. This is the sound in your head that drives you crazy.

Adrian has been a real help. Trying to get a BBE as he suggested it to me. After a bit of investigating it sounds awesome. WOOH!! JOIN THE MARSHALL JCM900 GROUP!!!! :hippie::dude:

Adrian R

Reaction score
Adrian has been a real help. Trying to get a BBE as he suggested it to me. After a bit of investigating it sounds awesome. WOOH!! JOIN THE MARSHALL JCM900 GROUP!!!! :hippie::dude:

I'm very happy you guys have found your Marshall nirvanna with respect to getting 'the tone' with a Marshall head..

I'm tellin' ya...any Marshall, especially a 900, (and DSLs) sound absolutely KILLER with either an MXR EQ in the FX loop or (and I like this more) a BBE 362 in the FX loop..

It makes the amp sound like a multiple thousand dollar boutique amp! I've been using 900s for years in this basic configuration and whenever I would play out..(almost always) there was some kind of guitar gear freak out there and he'd always ask me what the fuck I did to get my Marshall to sound like that...

I sincerely believe that the 900 was designed to be run in this configuration..I just couldn't imagine NOT running it without a device of such in its FX loop.

Purists can kiss my ass..this IS the Marshall tone (as you guys said) that you hear in your head (organic, clean, defined, punchy as hell..fucking loud..etc as good or better then any DSL, 800, JMP etc..):rock:

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I'm very happy you guys have found your Marshall nirvanna with respect to getting 'the tone' with a Marshall head..

I'm tellin' ya...any Marshall, especially a 900, (and DSLs) sound absolutely KILLER with either an MXR EQ in the FX loop or (and I like this more) a BBE 362 in the FX loop..

It makes the amp sound like a multiple thousand dollar boutique amp! I've been using 900s for years in this basic configuration and whenever I would play out..(almost always) there was some kind of guitar gear freak out there and he'd always ask me what the fuck I did to get my Marshall to sound like that...

I sincerely believe that the 900 was designed to be run in this configuration..I just couldn't imagine NOT running it without a device of such in its FX loop.

Purists can kiss my ass..this IS the Marshall tone (as you guys said) that you hear in your head (organic, clean, defined, punchy as hell..fucking loud..etc as good or better then any DSL, 800, JMP etc..):rock:

Does an EQ color the sound at all (with its own pre amp or transistors)? Or is just using the amps own natural freq's and boosting that? I've thought about getting an EQ although I don't think my 900 necessarily needs one. Thanks.

cicone

Reaction score
Does an EQ color the sound at all (with its own pre amp or transistors)? Or is just using the amps own natural freq's and boosting that? I've thought about getting an EQ although I don't think my 900 necessarily needs one. Thanks.

Don't know, but I'm an audiophile nutcase and can hear a flea fart at 100 meters.....this is a no brainer. If you have a Guitar Center or some retailer who will give you a 30 day trial, just go buy it and let us know what you think. I set the presence at 5, bass at 7, mid at 6 and treble at 5 on the amp(same one as yours)and boosted the lows and highs on the EQ about 6 dB's and cut the middle 3 or 4 bands down around 6 dB's--left the volume and gain at zero. It is not going back to the store! You owe it to yourself to check it out. I think you will be blown away.

Last edited:

wylde1

Reaction score
I've never had the mxr 10-band apart, but from my understanding I can state this:

It requires a power source, so that tells me there are some active components in there. and you have the ability to boost, so it can't be a passive unit. My best guess is that there are a few op-amp circuits that are set to filter the designated frequencies into a spectrum (probably by an FFT) and they are re-combined at the output.

What the hell does that mean you say? well it means that some coloring is unavoidable because it's passing through many active circuits and being split up and recombined.

I will say though that with my experience with the m108, with all the sliders flat across the middle and connected through the fx loop, you can hardly tell the difference with it on or off. so they've done pretty well designing it not to affect anything. (it is true bypass as well so it is a valid comparison)

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. So MXR 10 band EQ it is. So in front, does that go guitar > EQ > amp? What are some opinions about it in the loop or in front?

Adrian R

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. So MXR 10 band EQ it is. So in front, does that go guitar > EQ > amp? What are some opinions about it in the loop or in front?

Dude..
IMO the BBE does not color the sound in any way what so ever! This is the most amazing thing about that device....This is why I have used them for like 20 years and I'm a tone geek all the way..

If it does color the sound..it certainly does it in a huge way that improves the overall quality of the amp's core tone.

Oh and btw, it doesn't shed any tone either...you still will have that total cut through mix natue..a caveat will crave about tube amplification.

The 108 I am not as experienced with..however I did do a comparison once with one that I bought from Musician's Friend on their 45 day return policy. I compared it directly to the BBE 362 in the loop and I felt the BBE was far more effectively, far quieter, and didn't require you to use that stupid 'walwart' power supply as the power supply for the BBE is built into the unit making its operation far more seemless...

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Dude..
IMO the BBE does not color the sound in any way what so ever! This is the most amazing thing about that device....This is why I have used them for like 20 years and I'm a tone geek all the way..

If it does color the sound..it certainly does it in a huge way that improves the overall quality of the amp's core tone.

Oh and btw, it doesn't shed any tone either...you still will have that total cut through mix natue..a caveat will crave about tube amplification.

The 108 I am not as experienced with..however I did do a comparison once with one that I bought from Musician's Friend on their 45 day return policy. I compared it directly to the BBE 362 in the loop and I felt the BBE was far more effectively, far quieter, and didn't require you to use that stupid 'walwart' power supply as the power supply for the BBE is built into the unit making its operation far more seemless...

Awesome. I'll start checking them both out.

Rhys210593

Reaction score
Yeah they do make a pedal version but from reviews and demos... IMO its not as good as the rack unit but still sounds good though... :hippie:

core

Reaction score
I may have to check this eq or the BBE out but for awhile I've been running Bass Mid Treb on 10 and it adds a lot of body to it. Never run it any way else now. But I'm sure if I go above 4 on the volume I'll have to adjust it.

gtr1963

Reaction score
Adrian is right on the money about the 362 BBE. I bought one and ran it through the effects loop of my JCM 4100 head and it KILLS!!! The sound is just CRUSHING.... As he said..'This IS the tone that is in your head'.

I'm glad I got one... I'll never use my Marshall without it....

I decided to go the BBE route as opposed to the 10 band EQ as the BBE doesn't color your sound(as far as i can tell) but gives your 900 more BALLS!!

Adrian... YOU the man!!!!

Andy:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

cicone

Reaction score
It's a good healthy debate on the MXR 10 band vs. BBe 362, which I've never used. I don't know which is better. I do know that the MXR is a HUGE improvement. Let the debate rage, but know one thing---the JCM900 will rock you! Thanks again!

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
I used the BBE 482i in my loop for awhile...I hated it...In my opinion, it took away the Marshall sound...sounded too compressed and fake...

I have since replaced it with, you guessed it, and MXR 108 EQ...

Based on the suggestions here of course!!

By the way, I am a JCM900 4100 player...

Latest posts