JCM900 bliss(don't tell anyone)

• Thread starter cicone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
NewReligeon- what speakers do you use now, Eminence? If so, what model?

cicone

Reaction score
Cool..thanks man..and yes I did get the message with the setup..pretty intense for sure...and I am interested in ridding my system of background noise!

MCM Electronics 800-543-4330
CAIG DeOxit D5S-6 part#200-040
CAIG ProGold G5S-6 part#200-025
Promo code CAIG10 gets around 10% off

It looks like it may be available at a comparable price with no shipping at some Guitar Centers---I'd check that.

It's pricey stuff, but really works. I use the DeOxit first and clean the contacts with a small cloth or Qtip. Then I spray with ProGold and hook up the connection. I rarely wait for it to dry. It removed EVERY bit of hiss in my system. Heck, it even rejuvinates "dead" batteries! Please let me know what you think and sorry to hijack the thread temporarily.

Some links:
DeoxIT GOLD G5 Spray, 5% solution | Caig Laboratories | G5S-6 (G5S6)
DeoxIT®, #D5S-6

Oh yeah. The 900 sounds great with EQ and DeOxit!

Last edited:

Adrian R

Reaction score
MCM Electronics 800-543-4330
CAIG DeOxit D5S-6 part#200-040
CAIG ProGold G5S-6 part#200-025
Promo code CAIG10 gets around 10% off

It looks like it may be available at a comparable price with no shipping at some Guitar Centers---I'd check that.

It's pricey stuff, but really works. I use the DeOxit first and clean the contacts with a small cloth or Qtip. Then I spray with ProGold and hook up the connection. I rarely wait for it to dry. It removed EVERY bit of hiss in my system. Heck, it even rejuvinates "dead" batteries! Please let me know what you think and sorry to hijack the thread temporarily.

Some links:
DeoxIT GOLD G5 Spray, 5% solution | Caig Laboratories | G5S-6 (G5S6)
DeoxIT®, #D5S-6

Oh yeah. The 900 sounds great with EQ and DeOxit!

Thanks dude, I will check it out for sure!

cicone

Reaction score
Update. Been using the MXR in the FX loop and I think I might like it better in front of the effects. More experimenting is in order. Shape the sound before the effects and then use the amp controls to shape what goes to the output stage.

grrr

Reaction score
jcm 900 50w.. got the mxr 10 band after reading all this a few weeks ago. sortof hated it. just recently i started using it to cut everything instead of the obvious uses..pre and power amp full on..eq kinda cascaded from 0 on low end to -6 at the 2 mid bands then down again to -9 at 16k. gain/volume to taste.
sounds amazing none of the gross crunch from(im assuming) clipping diodes, just all saturated clarity. also it still sounds vintage. i wasnt a big fan of the modern tone that the mxr gave me when it was blasting the pre. might not be what you want but its exactly what i was after. thanks for all the advice kids.

things i use:
jcm-900 w/mxr in effects loop
1960a w 75s
custom 212 cab on the bottom w 80s scorpions
paul special
anger and resentment

cicone

Reaction score
jcm 900 50w.. got the mxr 10 band after reading all this a few weeks ago. sortof hated it. just recently i started using it to cut everything instead of the obvious uses..pre and power amp full on..eq kinda cascaded from 0 on low end to -6 at the 2 mid bands then down again to -9 at 16k. gain/volume to taste.
sounds amazing none of the gross crunch from(im assuming) clipping diodes, just all saturated clarity. also it still sounds vintage. i wasnt a big fan of the modern tone that the mxr gave me when it was blasting the pre. might not be what you want but its exactly what i was after. thanks for all the advice kids.

things i use:
jcm-900 w/mxr in effects loop
1960a w 75s
custom 212 cab on the bottom w 80s scorpions
paul special
anger and resentment

Could you go into a bit more detail? I agree the amp has many different tones and I really like the sound of the gain all the way off(V2/diodes assuming that you are using the MkIII), the preamp at 3-4ish(V1), and the amp volume at 7 or more. Rich, saturated sustain---not sure what compression is, but I'll bet that is there too. Of course, there are a number of nice tones to be had twisting the preamp and gain fun knobs. It really takes some time to dial in the tones you want because it's not a 1 trick pony in my opinion. Probably a good idea to write down the settings you like with a description of the tone and who else it may sound similar to----save a lot of headaches down the road, especially if you enjoy covering other artists. OK, I'm done. Don't forget the EQ has a gazillion different settings to mess with---more stuff to write down i guess! I like to bump up the bottom end to help out the single coils...also thinking of switching from EL34's to JJ E34L's.

Last edited:

core

Reaction score
Been playing around with the 900 a lot lately and I've really come to love the A channel. I used to be a solid B channel player while keeping the A channel cleaner. I put my best Telefunken in V1, took my Boss SD-1 Overdrive and on a whim I turned the Drive completely OFF and the Volume on the pedal UP to about 3 o'clock. Kept the Tone knob to around 1-2 o'clock and man does that A channel ROCK now! The tone is solid, tight and articulate with a good amount of bite. Very crunchy and with the EL34s, very Marshall! Full chords ring out nicely as well as power chords and solo notes. B channel makes for a perfect solo boost now.

I'm guessing by using the Boss in this manner it's just giving it a nice clean boost without the extra fuzziness you get from too much distortion going in the signal from the pedal. Surprisingly I can get a damn near spot on Sweet Child O' Mine intro tone in the neck pickup and rhythm tone in the bridge. Ace of Spades is perfect for my tastes since it really livened it up quite a bit.

I'm liking my EQ dimed now. I think it really adds to the liveliness I'm hearing. Anyone else run their EQ section on 10?

Also, does anyone know if the diode clipping is only on the B channel? Since it has gain coming out no matter what the dial says unlike the A channel gain. Just curious.

Rhys210593

Reaction score
I found the right tone for me despite how many find JJ ECC803s tubes dark and scary! XD but im wondering would I achieve higher gain if I changed V1 (JJ ECC803s) to a standard stock Marshall ECC83 that came with the amp? At the levels I play at I achieve a decent crunch on A (MV-0/1) but use the B channel for the high end stuff... :hippie:

Last edited:

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of slaving my 4100. 6100 into FX return of 4100. Then I'd get 6L6 and EL34 tube tone after the 6100 preamp.

Looks like I've got something to try this weekend! Core? You with me? haha

birdcage

Reaction score
Good stuff here on the JCM 900 Mk111.
I've just bought a 2500 and a 1960AV cab. But I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I've been searching for 'THE' sound for years, and after numerous JMP's and 800's etc, this is my third foray into a newer Marshall.
I had a DSL 100 once. Head and box of greenbacks. Not bad, but i wasn't happy with it.
I think half the problem with getting a good sound, is having ALL the right gear plugged in at the one time. When I had the DSL I didn't have a Les Paul. Now I do. It's the tone element I was missing.
The best amp head I've had up until now, was a JUBILEE 50 watt I bought new in 1988, but sold years ago because I didn't get the right sound. Although at the time I didn't realize it, but my guitar was the weak point at the time as well.
I've bought this 2500 model, because it was so cheap it was ridiculous, and unless I'm mistaken, it may have a similar circuit design to the Jubilee, which is fetching stupid prices these days, if you can find one anyway!
So, next couple of weeks, I'll have a chance to run what I think will be my 'SOUND' for the first time in 25 years, that I truly fall in love with.
1973 Gibson Deluxe Gold top, with NOS Bill Lawrence mini humbuckers from the 70's > Sennheiser Transmitter/receiver> TC Electronics G-Force 2 ( I'm thinking of using this before the input, I wanna use the EQ boost for solo's like slash does, as the boost will kick the gain a bit as well, and the tuner, channel relay changer, and maybe the wah, wammy occasionally. That's it, I don't wanna use the time based fx like reverb or delay in the TC)
I'm also gonna run an old INTELLIFEX blackface, in the loop, as I LOVE it. It is so transparent.
That will be used for Time FX, a little reverb, little delay, in the loop, and of course the HUSH to tidy it all up.
I also will run stereo, left back into the JCM 900 return, then into my quad of Vintage 30's, via the 50 watt EL34's.
The right return will go into the FX return of a BUGERA V22 combo, just utilizing the 22 watt 2 x EL84's power stage. That amp has had the speaker replaced with a single Celestion Vintage 30.
I also use a 1988 Jap fender strat 57' re-issue (Like clapton's blackie) but it has a set of EMG SA's
Also a 1991 Ibanez RG 550 with Via Evo pickups.
Haven't got a midi pedal board yet, but might get the Rocktron Midi Mate, and a separate single control pedal for the wah/ whammy. I dunno, any suggestions. Someone told me Behringer actually make a good midi board.
But the midi mate is quite compact, and uses a 7 pin from the INTELLIFEX to get power, so no wall wart needed for the board.
It might sound good, might not. I'll keep you posted.