JCM900 bliss(don't tell anyone)

• Thread starter cicone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

racko7566

Reaction score
I use the BBE Sonic Maximizer and the MXR KFK ten band EQ together and they sound sssswwweeeEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!!!:rock:

Adrian R

Reaction score
I used the BBE 482i in my loop for awhile...I hated it...In my opinion, it took away the Marshall sound...sounded too compressed and fake...

I have since replaced it with, you guessed it, and MXR 108 EQ...

Based on the suggestions here of course!!

By the way, I am a JCM900 4100 player...

Hey Tom..

It can sound fake indeed if you run it too hard. Now I have never run a 482i, but have always run the 362...and as long as the two dials don't exceed noon or so..maybe a bit past..it does nothing but improve the sound of the amp..in my experience that is.. I have tried SO SO many times NOT to use it due to the additional connectivity issues, and that its just one more thing to carry around and setup at shows..but damn..it just sounds so good I can't NOT use it! I'm afraid I've become a BBE junky..:(

btw dude... I just bought my first 4100 that had some simple mods done to the preamp circuit..haven't got it yet..but I will be sure to report here with my first impressions..

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Yeah Adrian, I'm holding on to mine still...Both of my dials were near max, hence the fake sound...however, my sound has changed so much within the last few months...It used to be all low end, and now, I have changed that and got it to where I want it...basically, I stopped listening to my bandmates...lol

One of these days when I have some extra time, I'll try it out again...

In troubleshooting another problem (see the Effects Loop Problem thread I have in the Workbench forum) I put the EQ up front just to hear how it would sound...the change was minimal compared to running it in the loop...

I'm so happy running that EQ in the loop, I don't really want to mess with the BBE anymore...By the way, my bass player uses the 482i with his rig and my guitarist uses the Sonic Stomp in his loop (Mesa Booger Triple Rec)...A thought is, with EVERYONE running one, I get lost in the mix...

Yeah, lemme know how that 4100 is...I'd be interested in knowing more about the mod that was done...

Rhys210593

Reaction score
Hopefully im gonna be getting the BBE 362 soon. Found a dealer from the UK. £100 for the unit and £10 postage. Still cheaper than the MXR 10 band EQ pedal. Atm I use my BOSS OD-3 just to boost the lows. Good, but could be better with the right bit of kit! XD :hippie: :cheers:

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I'm with Cardiac Tom, preferring an EQ in loop as opposed to BBE SonicM. I used a BBE 462 rack with both controls around noon position for a while with my DSL100. It adds a remarkably different quality to the amp, however I think you lose a bit of the amps inherent tube tone and warmth quality and get a more big, punchy and clear 'digital' quality.
Personally I wouldn't use one again unless I had an amp that I was really not happy with it's core tone.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Hey Tom..

It can sound fake indeed if you run it too hard. Now I have never run a 482i, but have always run the 362...and as long as the two dials don't exceed noon or so..maybe a bit past..it does nothing but improve the sound of the amp..in my experience that is.. I have tried SO SO many times NOT to use it due to the additional connectivity issues, and that its just one more thing to carry around and setup at shows..but damn..it just sounds so good I can't NOT use it! I'm afraid I've become a BBE junky..:(

btw dude... I just bought my first 4100 that had some simple mods done to the preamp circuit..haven't got it yet..but I will be sure to report here with my first impressions..

Did you buy ANOTHER 900!??!!? :rock:

Adrian R

Reaction score
Did you buy ANOTHER 900!??!!? :rock:

***Yup...a modded 4100...should have it early next week! One can never have enough Marshalls...and I have never owned a 4100 before (lots of 4500s) much less one that was modded...

Evidently the mod was performed in the amp's preamp..with no new circuits or holes drilled or anything like that..but just a few resistors swapped out with different values...and is totally reversible...

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
***Yup...a modded 4100...should have it early next week! One can never have enough Marshalls...and I have never owned a 4100 before (lots of 4500s) much less one that was modded...

Evidently the mod was performed in the amp's preamp..with no new circuits or holes drilled or anything like that..but just a few resistors swapped out with different values...and is totally reversible...

Awesome. How many 900's does that make for you now?

Adrian R

Reaction score
Like 50 for Adrian :lol:

Well in all actuality..its about..hmmm (calculating..hold on...) 9 altogether...

You know..it does sound pretty stupid..and if you think that way..I probably would agree with you..but man..I just like getting them..especially the older ones that need work...fix em' up..return them to their former glory..and then sell them off..sometimes for a profit, and sometimes for a loss..but in the end I'm havin' a blast with this shit... I'm by no means a great artist..a decent guitar player for sure....but most definetly not headed for any kind of greatness...

but in the end having lotza of fun...and in this fucked up world if you can have fun your doing something right eh??
forget about it !!

Last edited:

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Well in all actuality..its about..hmmm (calculating..hold on...) 9 altogether...

You know..it does sound pretty stupid..and if you think that way..I probably would agree with you..but man..I just like getting them..especially the older ones that need work...fix em' up..return them to their former glory..and then sell them off..sometimes for a profit, and sometimes for a loss..but in the end I'm havin' a blast with this shit... I'm by no means a great artist..a decent guitar player for sure....but most definetly not headed for any kind of greatness...

but in the end having lotza of fun...and in this fucked world if you can have fun your doing something right eh??
forget about it !!

That's all we can do...

Rhys210593

Reaction score

but in the end having lotza of fun...and in this fucked world if you can have fun your doing something right eh??
forget about it !!

If you ever decide to sell any you may have already found a buyer ;D :hippie: :cheers:

cicone

Reaction score

forget about it !!

Fun is good---too much stress out there. I've pretty much given up on regular dirt bike riding to relieve stress---you don't heal up too quickly over 50. Also, I've never crashed into a pine tree while rowing or playing guitar. I'm keeping the bike though! It's a bat outta hell and tons of fun.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score

forget about it !!

Nah, not stupid at all...It is awesome that the 900 is finally getting respect from people now...It was so looked down upon for many years...

I want to get another (MK) as well as an 800 at some point...

Adrian R

Reaction score
Fun is good---too much stress out there. I've pretty much given up on regular dirt bike riding to relieve stress---you don't heal up too quickly over 50. Also, I've never crashed into a pine tree while rowing or playing guitar. I'm keeping the bike though! It's a bat outta hell and tons of fun.

Dude..

Use to totally be into dirt bikes! I rode motocross back in the days when Honda CR125s ruled the world...and believe it or not for a short stint when I was very young I had a Hodaka Super Combat 125 (orange tank blue frame)..and that bike was QUICK AS HELL..had no suspension though..

Since though I've retired the dirt bikes and now exclusively ride street bikes...but you know..you never get the dirt outta ya...I still challenge myself out in the country seeing how quick I can tame a certain section of road..

and in the Smokies...at Deal's Gap..and the Cherehola Skyway? forget about it!

cicone

Reaction score
Dude..

Use to totally be into dirt bikes! I rode motocross back in the days when Honda CR125s ruled the world...and believe it or not for a short stint when I was very young I had a Hodaka Super Combat 125 (orange tank blue frame)..and that bike was QUICK AS HELL..had no suspension though..

Since though I've retired the dirt bikes and now exclusively ride street bikes...but you know..you never get the dirt outta ya...I still challenge myself out in the country seeing how quick I can tame a certain section of road..

and in the Smokies...at Deal's Gap..and the Cherehola Skyway? forget about it!

I replaced the black box in my Suzuki TS-185 with one from a Combat Wombat! Back in the 70's there was decent power, but no suspension. Had an old CL 100 too and my brother had a CanAm. I was into enduro. Right now I have a 1990 KDX200---great suspension and more than twice the power of the old 185. I've never checked, but I bet it'll do 0-60 in 7 seconds with my 200 lb ass on it! It's a bit modded. If you don't sit as close to the tank as possible, you could be looking at the sky in the first 4 gears. Also had a real Hagstrom Swede back then with a 105 watt Univox. Wish I never sold them.
http://www.univox.org/pics/catalogs/u1044_catalog.jpg.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I replaced the black box in my Suzuki TS-185 with one from a Combat Wombat! Back in the 70's there was decent power, but no suspension. Had an old CL 100 too and my brother had a CanAm. I was into enduro. Right now I have a 1990 KDX200---great suspension and more than twice the power of the old 185. I've never checked, but I bet it'll do 0-60 in 7 seconds with my 200 lb ass on it! It's a bit modded. If you don't sit as close to the tank as possible, you could be looking at the sky in the first 4 gears. Also had a real Hagstrom Swede back then with a 105 watt Univox. Wish I never sold them.
http://www.univox.org/pics/catalogs/u1044_catalog.jpg.

Oh yea...I remember all of those old bikes back in the day..I was too young to ride them... but I remember all of the older guys with them bad ass bikes before the Asian dominance..like that freakin' orange Maico 400! And ya know..I can draw a sort of draw an emotional simularity with the way I felt when I heard them (and that of them old Mopar 400ci hemi motors) and the sound of a cranked Marshall stack!

wylde1

Reaction score
Nah, not stupid at all...It is awesome that the 900 is finally getting respect from people now...It was so looked down upon for many years...

Works for me, that means they'll be cheaper when I wanna buy more haha. I picked mine up totally by fluke. Just happened to be browsing around in the used section, usually nothing there of any interest to me but I like to browse. There she was on top of the pile for $850, I was like what the hell that seems like a killer price for a 100W marshall. Tested it out and brought 'er home. So glad I did.

I"m not sure I agree with people saying the MXR colours the sound. When I flatline my sliders at 0 and flick it on and off you can't really tell any difference. I thought they did very well at making it unobtrusive. I've never tried any BBE products though so I can't really compare them. I just know my 108 makes my 900 bark more viscious than without it.

Latest posts