JCM900 MKIII or 2203KK ?

• Thread starter JD-MAN
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD-MAN

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how the JCM900 MKIII 50W holds up against the 2203KK? Gain wise and clean tones?

At the moment I have a 2203KK.
If i'm right, I think the 900 has a more tight gain (which I think I'd like). But I think it also sounds thinner, less balsy compared to a 2203KK.
I am aware of the EL34 vs KT88 tubes, but are the tonal differences big enough to keep both amps?
Is an FX loop worth having? (My 2203KK doesn't have one and I never got to work with an FX loop before)

Goosey

Reaction score
FX loops are great if you wanna put reverb, delay, chorus or most modulation effects through your amp as it puts the effect after your drive therefore keeping in tighter and cleaner. As for the comparison I can't help you sorry but an effects loop is good!

Murmel

Reaction score
I don´t think the 900 will deliver a much tighter gain than the KK.
A big part of a tighter gain is the defined bottom end, this is where the KK excels.
Try lowering your gain, and play with the EQ (reduce bass), that should bring you closer.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
If you turn the Preamp Knob down to around 6 or 7 and turn the Gain Knob down to 11 to disengage the diode distortion, on a JCM900 MkIII, and turn the Master Volume up to overdrive the Power Tubes, you can get very tight and punchy overdrive just like a JCM800. Also use JJ E34L Power Tubes and JJ ecc83 Preamp Tubes and the JCM900 will produce chest crushing bottom end. Slam the front end with a Fulltone Fulldrive II on Comp Cut, cut the mids to 5, and you add even more tight bottom end and punch. Also the JCM900 MkIII has way more gain on tap with the Gain Knob going from 11 to 20, than an early JCM800 with 6550 power tubes or the 2203KK does with KT-88 power tubes.

Guitarchops921

Reaction score
I have a JCM 900 50W Head with 5881/6L6 power tubes. Effects loop is good for delay, reverb, etc. I also run an MXR 6 band EQ through the effects loop to boost the lows and mids. To me the 900 has the best sounding bottom end when compared to other heads, 800, DSL, when you use the EQ. I think it has a great sound for Classic Rock to Metal.

Gibson Les Paul Studios
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro

Marshall JCM 900 50W Head
Marshall JCM DSL 100W Head
Marshall 1936 2X12 Cabinet
Marshall 1960 4X12 Cabinet
Digitech and Boss Pedals
MXR EQs

Latest posts