Jeff Beck Les Paul in Yardburst...

• Thread starter Dogs of Doom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

Untitled-1.jpg

Commemorating the Life of the Legend That Is Jeff Beck​

Jeff Beck is considered one of the best guitarists in history, capable of playing virtually anything in his own unique, soulful style. Jeff Beck got his start playing in the Yardbirds, making groundbreaking music on a ’59 Les Paul Standard. The “YardBurst” is a faithful recreation of this legendary guitar, complete with its unique and instantly identifiable traits, such as the classic white bobbin humbuckers and black single-ply pickguard. An aged Lifton™ hardshell case and a selection of case candy commemorating the life of the legend that is Jeff Beck are also included. Only 130 of these exceptional recreations were handmade by the expert luthiers of the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville, Tennessee, as part of this remarkable limited run and artfully aged to match the original as it appeared during Jeff’s Yardbird days by the Murphy Lab.

comes w/ a $10K asking price...

V-man

Reaction score
No disrespect to a phenomenal player (RIP) but that is bar none, one of the fugliest Gibsons I have ever seen. Factoring that into whatever ungodly premium they’ll be demanding and all I can say is “Not even with Bea Arthur’s dick” (also, RIP).

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
No disrespect to a phenomenal player (RIP) but that is bar none, one of the fugliest Gibsons I have ever seen. Factoring that into whatever ungodly premium they’ll be demanding and all I can say is “Not even with Bea Arthur’s dick” (also, RIP).
I wasn't going to say it. :lol:

This just seems like a money grab to me. He may have played a LP back then, but that was before my time. I associate Beck with a Strat.

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I don't hate the look of it. The pickups look out of place in the photo. 10k? Somebody will pay that I suppose. Won't be me that's for sure.

I wasn't going to say it. :lol:

This just seems like a money grab to me. He may have played a LP back then, but that was before my time. I associate Beck with a Strat.
I'm just a casual Beck fan but I associate him with Strat then Tele then Les Paul.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't hate the look of it. The pickups look out of place in the photo. 10k? Somebody will pay that I suppose. Won't be me that's for sure.

I'm just a casual Beck fan but I associate him with Strat then Tele then Les Paul.
Looking at it again I think it's just the black pickguard that looks so out of place to me. Remove it or replace it with one that matches the pickup rings and it would look better.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
To me it's a money grab, let's just take a Les Paul Standard, give it a funky redburst finish, make a few little changes to a standard R9, give it a very mediocre top, add Jeff Beck's name to it, add a few thousand bucks to the price tag, do nothing to make it a better guitar than any average R9. But our buyers, who mostly have "clients" and "patients" rather than "customers" like the unwashed masses, will buy them up and noodle around with them between visits with said clients/patients.

Gibson has apparently decided that they need to focus on the well heeled professional who dabble in guitar, and leave the bottom end models for the working stiffs who gig on weekends.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Looking at it again I think it's just the black pickguard that looks so out of place to me. Remove it or replace it with one that matches the pickup rings and it would look better.
the irony is... the guitar (that they modeled this from), he did what you did w/ your other LP...

He used it, early on, in his days w/ the Yardbirds, but, then stripped it, to a natural finish. So, it was short lived in this look. I don't understand the hoopla w/ their "Murphy Labs" relicing. From the images, I don't see any intricate relicing &... if the guitar was stripped down to bare wood, in '67 & never refinished, then how do they get an exact replica of the wear that it would have had in 1966-67?

I think the guys at Gibson are out of touch w/ the whole relic thing. It seems like they masturbate over it, or something. To me, it does not add a couple grand, like their rep tried to pitch to me...

scroll down to guitars # 2 & 3...

the "black" one mentioned above, was actually an oxblood dark brown finish...

I just wonder who "signed off" on this, & why?

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
the irony is... the guitar (that they modeled this from), he did what you did w/ your other LP...

He used it, early on, in his days w/ the Yardbirds, but, then stripped it, to a natural finish. So, it was short lived in this look. I don't understand the hoopla w/ their "Murphy Labs" relicing. From the images, I don't see any intricate relicing &... if the guitar was stripped down to bare wood, in '67 & never refinished, then how do they get an exact replica of the wear that it would have had in 1966-67?

I think the guys at Gibson are out of touch w/ the whole relic thing. It seems like they masturbate over it, or something. To me, it does not add a couple grand, like their rep tried to pitch to me...

scroll down to guitars # 2 & 3...

the "black" one mentioned above, was actually an oxblood dark brown finish...

I just wonder who "signed off" on this, & why?
Is it me or does the photo in that link look like a different pick guard? It's kind of different and cool.

Gibson says they are only making 133 - I imagine they can sell that many, make a couple bucks and get some PR.

bskTaTqs6JZfM9SE5e8syA-1200-80.jpg.webp

What's next the Jimi Hendrix edition Jazzmaster? He did use one for two minutes after all!

nortiks

Reaction score
Gibson says they are only making 133 - I imagine they can sell that many, make a couple bucks and get some PR.
Sales price $10K.
133 x $10,000 = $1,330,000
Maybe it costs them $600 per unit to make.
133 x $600 = $79,800.

Yeah, I'd do that too if I were them.

$1,330,000 / <number of $1000 Epiphones they'd have to sell to generate the same revenue> = 1,330 Epiphones (ten times as many)

knulp

Reaction score
While Beck played a lot a Stratocaster he also recorded Blow by blow with a Les Paul.

That was an incredible commercial success ,possibly his major one.
A milestone .
Expecially since it was an instrumental jazz rock guitar based album in 1975!

V-man

Reaction score
Sales price $10K.
133 x $10,000 = $1,330,000
Maybe it costs them $600 per unit to make.
133 x $600 = $79,800.

Yeah, I'd do that too if I were them.

$1,330,000 / <number of $1000 Epiphones they'd have to sell to generate the same revenue> = 1,330 Epiphones (ten times as many)

This is the aha moment I had last hear when they released those “Epiphone by Gibson” Korina Vs and Explorers for <15% of the Gibson prices.

The consequence of that release is the “Emperor has no clothes” moment was official… there is ZERO magic in “Korina” and there is not a SINGLE… SOLITARY…FUCKING…THING that justifies that insane $10k+ Gibson price tag, when it can be done (profitably) at the Epi price point.

What Gibson has figured out (as is evident by the strategy executed) is that if Gibson can get 100 stupid fucks to pay $10K then they are in a far more advantageous position than trying to get 500 Korinas in the hands of players at $2,000.

What Gibson has wagered is that it can restructure as a “premium” brand instead of the musician’s brand. They will do some percentage of “affordable” (whether market-adjusted or overpriced) and the bread-and-butter will go to minimum turnout at maximum pricing (to let overpriced Epi pick up the “musician’s brand” slack).

nortiks

Reaction score
What Gibson has wagered is that it can restructure as a “premium” brand instead of the musician’s brand. They will do some percentage of “affordable” (whether market-adjusted or overpriced) and the bread-and-butter will go to minimum turnout at maximum pricing (to let overpriced Epi pick up the “musician’s brand” slack).
Very true. For me it has been so liberating to be able to look at any brand from any country, made of any wood type, and say "if it sounds good (not to be confused with sounds exactly the same as), and it plays good, and it has a good price, I will buy it and play it. Don't get me wrong, I like a good Gibson as much as anyone, but I was red-pilled long ago after buying a Les Paul KM in 1980 when I didn't know squat, only to finally figure out the neck was just pathetic and that was why it was so hard to play or else buzzed like crazy if set up lower. So I finally got rid of it. Fast forward a decade and I buy an Indonesian Epi Paul and the neck is great and with a set of 57 Classics, it sounds great.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
While Beck played a lot a Stratocaster he also recorded Blow by blow with a Les Paul.

That was an incredible commercial success ,possibly his major one.
A milestone .
Expecially since it was an instrumental jazz rock guitar based album in 1975!
I believe Blow by Blow was also the first time he used the Seymour Duncan equipped Tele-Gibson.
Because We've Ended as Lovers was that guiater and was dedicated to Roy Buchanan.