Jimmy Page

• Thread starter Zosofancmr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zosofancmr

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I wanted to let everyone know I've started a blog, but this one I think will be unique. I intend to take a journey through the life of Jimmy Page by learning as many songs as I possibly can that he ever recorded. From his skiffle days to Neil Christian, from the session years to the Yardbirds, from Led Zeppelin and beyond. I also want to explore the ins and outs of his life, little known facts, and also examine all the different gear he used.

This is going to be a loooooong process of course but I think in the end I will become a better guitar player and maybe understand Jimmy Page just a little bit more, or at least how his mind worked creatively and how he developed as a musician. That's the goal anyway. I intend to explain the ins and outs of each song and then play them, describe how its going in the process, what parts are easy, what parts are difficult. Hopefully if you do end up reading it, you might be able to learn along with me.

I'm very excited about this venture and I invite you all to take the journey with me. So take a look, I've already figured out how to play skiffle like a 13 year old Jimmy Page, rode along with him in his session days, and jammed with Jeff Beck in the early Yardbirds years.

Take care everyone.

Here is the link in case you are at all interested....

Finding Zoso: Discovering the Music of Jimmy Page

richieG

Reaction score
Wow, you really do love Jimmy.

If pushed I would say he is my favorite guitarists well. There is not a Zep album I do not like. But for me his guitar playing was made awesome by one of he greatest rhytmn sections of all time.

Good luck on your quest!

Zosofancmr

Reaction score
Thanks again everybody! I wanted to let you all know I've posted a few more posts, the first about Jimmy's session guitar work on the Tom Jones "It's Not Unusual". The second was about Jimmy's first Fender Stratocaster and Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. The third was about Jimmy Page's work in producing John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton which not many people know about, so check it out!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The idea of your blog is interesting, but you're going to have to do a better job of fact checking ... nobody will read it if they can't be sure they are reading credible information. I'm not saying this as a criticism, so much as helpful advice in seeing that you're successful.

I started with what came up first, which is your going into a history regarding Page working with Clapton on the 'Bluesbreakers' album ... the problem is, you start off with two mistakes in the very first paragraph. The first is that you discuss EC's 'Beano' LP as being a 1959, when in fact, it was a 1960. Believe me, for folks who care about the details with respect to historical significance, this will turn them away from your blog, as it won't be taken seriously at all (and, after all, your entire blog is about historical significance).

The other thing was that the 'woman tone' was developed during his time with Cream, and was not found on the Bluesbreakers album at all ... in fact, people who really pick apart that particular tone, generally argue that it didn't even appear until Disraeli Gears.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea for a blog ... and I'd definitely be interested in reading it ... I'm going to wait until I see some of the mistakes corrected, however (want to make sure that I'm reading the right information ... if I'm going to learn something, I want to make sure it's factual).

Good luck! :cheers:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Cool, I had not heard that version of Happenings, Jeff's solo was good!

Zosofancmr

Reaction score
The idea of your blog is interesting, but you're going to have to do a better job of fact checking ... nobody will read it if they can't be sure they are reading credible information. I'm not saying this as a criticism, so much as helpful advice in seeing that you're successful.

I started with what came up first, which is your going into a history regarding Page working with Clapton on the 'Bluesbreakers' album ... the problem is, you start off with two mistakes in the very first paragraph. The first is that you discuss EC's 'Beano' LP as being a 1959, when in fact, it was a 1960. Believe me, for folks who care about the details with respect to historical significance, this will turn them away from your blog, as it won't be taken seriously at all (and, after all, your entire blog is about historical significance).

The other thing was that the 'woman tone' was developed during his time with Cream, and was not found on the Bluesbreakers album at all ... in fact, people who really pick apart that particular tone, generally argue that it didn't even appear until Disraeli Gears.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea for a blog ... and I'd definitely be interested in reading it ... I'm going to wait until I see some of the mistakes corrected, however (want to make sure that I'm reading the right information ... if I'm going to learn something, I want to make sure it's factual).

Good luck! :cheers:
Thank you for the feedback, I've taken your corrections and have looked into them and you are absolutely correct and have made the necessary changes. My forte is more with Jimmy Page than Eric Clapton, haha. I appreciate people reading this though and keeping me honest, it was one of the reasons I wanted to share my blog with people on this board. If anybody ever sees anything that might be incorrect with information I post, please let me know, I want this to be as factual as humanly possible.

Thanks again crossroadsnyc, good looking out!

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Damn man. This is going to be sweet. I'm adding this to my favorites. Page is definitely in the top of my favorite guitarists.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked Page until someone posted all the plagiurism stuff. I stilll think the rhythm section made that band

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback, I've taken your corrections and have looked into them and you are absolutely correct and have made the necessary changes. My forte is more with Jimmy Page than Eric Clapton, haha. I appreciate people reading this though and keeping me honest, it was one of the reasons I wanted to share my blog with people on this board. If anybody ever sees anything that might be incorrect with information I post, please let me know, I want this to be as factual as humanly possible.

Thanks again crossroadsnyc, good looking out!

No problem, dude ... again, best of luck!

drewz120

Reaction score
I liked Page until someone posted all the plagiurism stuff. I stilll think the rhythm section made that band

Thats like saying you used to like Mickey Mantle until you realized Babe Ruth played for the Yankees too.

Page made plenty of his own and often changed songs or parts to make them different. I never understood why he got so much heat for this. I never hear anyone slam SRV for having had someone help write his songs.

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score

Most people have never heard the songs that Page/Plant borrowed from (most wouldn't be recognized). I have all of the songs and I will tell you that most are lyrical (with the Stairway intro being the most direct).

Remember that all blues guys directly stole others songs and ideals from each other and reworked them, it's in that context that Page/Plant took liberty.

Even if Page directly stole several songs note for note, how could anyone dismiss his incredible list of riffs, licks and the moods he created?! Most of us wish we could come up with just one Kashmir, let alone a Whole Lotta Love or Wanton Song, etc.!

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Most people have never heard the songs that Page/Plant borrowed from (most wouldn't be recognized). I have all of the songs and I will tell you that most are lyrical (with the Stairway intro being the most direct).

Remember that all blues guys directly stole others songs and ideals from each other and reworked them, it's in that context that Page/Plant took liberty.

Even if Page directly stole several songs note for note, how could anyone dismiss his incredible list of riffs, licks and the moods he created?! Most of us wish we could come up with just one Kashmir, let alone a Whole Lotta Love or Wanton Song, etc.!

Agreed.

And the way they presented it, fantastic. Anybody can take ideas from people, but the way they put it into action is amazing.

Zosofancmr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know I've posted a whole bunch of cool new stuff on Finding Zoso: Discovering the Music of Jimmy Page, including "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", how Jimmy Page and Robert Plant met, and an overview of Jimmy's Sola Sound Professional MK II Tone Bender.

I apologize I hadn't updated it for a few days, I was out on Neah Bay which is the Northwestern most tip of the Continental United States so I was a bit out of the loop. I'm back now though, so expect regular updates here on in!

Latest posts