JMP-1 or Axe FX III ?

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I have been a JMP-1 user since very shortly after they first came out in the 90's. And, yes, I am one of those snake oil BBE sonic maximizer users after the JMP-1.
I got an Axe FX about a year ago and it had a few models of the JMP-1 (just the OD1 & OD 2) on it. Well, unfortunately they were not that good for some odd reason. ( I honestly think it was laziness in part from Cliff the Fractal creator).
Fast forward a month or so ago and he finally updated the JMP-1 models. He nailed them to perfection . He also included the two clean channels this time. It's actually 8 different amps: clean 1 with/without bass shift, OD 1 with/without bass shift, etc

An interesting thing I learned from Fractal about the JMP-1 is that it actually has a set non-adjustable tone stack and the BMT & P knobs are actually a 4 band graphic EQ. This kind of makes sense to me now. It's probably why I never turn those BMT & P knobs much at all and get my tone more from the naturally scooped BBE and the gain and volume knobs. I have a hunch that the set tone stack must have the mids cranked or B & T set very low.
My greatest fear is that my trusty old JMP-1 would take a dump someday and then I wouldn't be able to find anything that sounds like that.
Well, the Axe FX III nails it! So, no fear anymore.

I just got done running my Axe Fx into my DSL as a power amp and A/B'd it to the real deal (BTW, all G BMT & P set identical) .
I seriously can not tell the difference. It sounds and feels exactly the same.
The real JMP-1 uses one AX7 tube for the clean and one AX7 for the OD channels.
Since the Axe Fx allows you to change those tube brands, I can exactly match how my real JMP-1 does with the clean chs using a Mullard AX7 and the OD chs using a JJ AX7.....Sweet!!!

The only downside to the Axe Fx modeling the JMP-1 is that if you use it with the modelled power amp and speaker cabs ( for recording or to FOH), the power amp is definitely not a DSL but most likely a vintage styled marshall power amp section model.
You can get it closer by messing with the negative feedback.
TBH, if Marshall came out with a single channel 50 watt head that had that foot switchable "Vintage/Modern" power amp voicing like the 9100 & 9200 rack mount amps had, I would sell all of my Marshall amps including my JMP-1 and just use the Axe Fx into the FX return of that amp head.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a good time to be a guitar player. I’ve got a JVM half stack, Fractal FM3 and Helix floor, I can get good sounds out of all of them. I just laugh when people say that I’ve obviously not had a real tube amp if I’m happy with digital. I’m just not biased, I love them all.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Hey, i love my JMP-1 and regardless of what people think a bout the BBE they sound wonderful with that unit...my old BBE was acting up and i bought a newer used one at a smoking deal

I have the FM3 and use it for the effects only in the back of my rack...for some reason i just cant gel with modeling Amps..they sound great but ..feel. ...well they are off but thats just my thought...ive never tried the JMP-1 in the FM3 tho

I think i heard on Tone talk with Dave Friedman he said Marshall should have put that JMP-1 in a amp head...i can totally agree with that !

I run a EQ after my JMP-1 i can dial it in with any guitar, but i think ill hook the BBE back up...11am and 1pm...on the dials..set and forget !

Mike

20220526_130409.jpg

20220526_130420.jpg

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Marshall did put the JMP-1 in amps.
900DR and Valvestate to name it.

My worst guitarnightmares emanate from
these things. The Horror...the HORROR!

I bought that 2 channel 900 reverb thingie....had a Marshall power brake...ugh

It was like a box of bees...i went back to my rack gear

Should have bought the SL-X like i originally wanted but the salesman talked me in to that other amp

The guy i sold it to said that amp was always in the shop

I really wanted that Blue 30th anniversary amp...half stack but stores keep quoting me full retail price...i always asked whats it cost out the door price...no one or at least i dont pay full retail price

I should have kept all those 800 heads and combos i had and use the power brake on those....it wasnt Marshall best years on amp then with the 900 era

Mike

Mourguitars

Reaction score
20211215_143457.jpg

Fractal is top notch , im running mine with my PS2 in its loop with my heads for effects only..mainly my Archon50 because the loop sucks on that head

This week im back to pedals....im like mr "or" ..i can try this "or" ill try that ....headshake ...lol

Would like to run this FM3 with my rack Preamps in stereo im sure the effects will sound so much better than my Rocktron units...Fractal effects are awesome

In all reality this unit is all i really need...all my friends went Fractal, in ears...all the latest tech out there and no cabs...but they spend all night tweaking there Axe3 ...for the last 4 years !

There stuff sounds so good tho...as close to you can get with the CD...all they talk about is Cliff

I still like tubes , when i had this on my desk...all i did was tweak it ...this IR that IR...i like the Friedman amps the best...i need to try out the updated JMP-1 pre in this unit like the original post said

I have maybe like 10 slots left for IR's...lol

I like the York stuff...that DV77 speaker is awesome...get that pack !

With so much great gear out there now and YT vids showing us how to get the best out of products...its very distracting , im more of a gear head / hobbyist than a player anymore and my playing is lacking

I really need to get back to basics....PLAYING more !!! lol

Mike

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have an Axe-FX II. While I'd like to add a JMP-1 to my gear collection, I'd rather add an Axe-FX III FIRST.

But it's only money. GET BOTH!!!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
the JMD:1 has the JMP-1 as a preset - well 2, clean & OD...

they sold it in 50 & 100 watt...

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I have always like the JMP-1. The rhythm tone on Megadeth's Cryptic Writings speaks for itself. I bought some JMP profiles for my Kemper and run them through my Marshall power amp into some 4x12 cabs and bam there it is. I would love to find a deal on a JMP-1 but they seem to be fairly hard to find.

djd100

Reaction score
I have been a JMP-1 user since very shortly after they first came out in the 90's. And, yes, I am one of those snake oil BBE sonic maximizer users after the JMP-1.
I got an Axe FX about a year ago and it had a few models of the JMP-1 (just the OD1 & OD 2) on it. Well, unfortunately they were not that good for some odd reason. ( I honestly think it was laziness in part from Cliff the Fractal creator).
Fast forward a month or so ago and he finally updated the JMP-1 models. He nailed them to perfection . He also included the two clean channels this time. It's actually 8 different amps: clean 1 with/without bass shift, OD 1 with/without bass shift, etc

An interesting thing I learned from Fractal about the JMP-1 is that it actually has a set non-adjustable tone stack and the BMT & P knobs are actually a 4 band graphic EQ. This kind of makes sense to me now. It's probably why I never turn those BMT & P knobs much at all and get my tone more from the naturally scooped BBE and the gain and volume knobs. I have a hunch that the set tone stack must have the mids cranked or B & T set very low.
My greatest fear is that my trusty old JMP-1 would take a dump someday and then I wouldn't be able to find anything that sounds like that.
Well, the Axe FX III nails it! So, no fear anymore.

I just got done running my Axe Fx into my DSL as a power amp and A/B'd it to the real deal (BTW, all G BMT & P set identical) .
I seriously can not tell the difference. It sounds and feels exactly the same.
The real JMP-1 uses one AX7 tube for the clean and one AX7 for the OD channels.
Since the Axe Fx allows you to change those tube brands, I can exactly match how my real JMP-1 does with the clean chs using a Mullard AX7 and the OD chs using a JJ AX7.....Sweet!!!

The only downside to the Axe Fx modeling the JMP-1 is that if you use it with the modelled power amp and speaker cabs ( for recording or to FOH), the power amp is definitely not a DSL but most likely a vintage styled marshall power amp section model.
You can get it closer by messing with the negative feedback.
TBH, if Marshall came out with a single channel 50 watt head that had that foot switchable "Vintage/Modern" power amp voicing like the 9100 & 9200 rack mount amps had, I would sell all of my Marshall amps including my JMP-1 and just use the Axe Fx into the FX return of that amp head.

a) The clean channels get the fixed traditional tone stack, not the od channels which just get some filtering. The clean channels have two gain stages, one to drive the passive tonestack, the other to make-up the gain lost by it.
b) The OD channels use the clipping diodes for distortion, while the OD tube is a gain stage DC coupled into a Cathode Follower for compression and even harmonics.
c) The post Active 4-Band EQ is used for all via the front panel.

Agree that the Axe's Cygnus JMP-1 models sound great, though it seems that the modeled power section used with the JMP-1 models is closer to a later JVM power section at the default settings, but you can of course make it whatever you want via the advanced parameters (copy power section/power supply/speaker tab params from other modeled amps etc).