JMP/2203 Questions...

• Thread starter Fretboard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretboard

Reaction score
So I'm either getting a 2203, or more likely, a JMP. What would be the best cab to run it through, I was thinking a 1960A. Also, which attenuator would be the best for it? Please include the brand and the model, thanks.

Rampage

Reaction score
A 2203 can be a JMP or JCM 800. 2203 signifies that the amp is a 100 watt master volume model and 2204 that it is a 50 watt master volume. There are also the 1959 and 1987 versions which are non-master volume (NMV) amps and have the four inputs on the front. The master volume models provide distortion at lower volume levels, while the NMV amps require some serious volume to achieve breakup.

As far as cabinets go, I do not believe that there is any best with the JMP, there are only different options. The 1960 cabinets are always popular because they match, but there are a ton of possible boutique cabinets, including StoneAge and Bogner, that sound excellent. The most important consideration when deciding which speaker cabinet is right for you is probably going to be the speakers themselves. If you are playing rock or older metal (NWOBHM/thrash), speakers such as Greenbacks or G12-65s would work very well. I have also heard great things about Vintage 30s with the older Marshalls, and you can even start looking into doing an x-pattern cabinet with different speakers, such as Vintage 30s and G12-T75s. There are even boutique manufacturers such as Scumback that make excellent modern production speakers.

Fretboard

Reaction score
Sorry, I was meant JMP 2203 (Master Volume) and a JCM 800 2203

Last edited:

Fretboard

Reaction score
As far as cabinets go, I do not believe that there is any best with the JMP, there are only different options. The 1960 cabinets are always popular because they match, but there are a ton of possible boutique cabinets, including StoneAge and Bogner, that sound excellent. The most important consideration when deciding which speaker cabinet is right for you is probably going to be the speakers themselves. If you are playing rock or older metal (NWOBHM/thrash), speakers such as Greenbacks or G12-65s would work very well. I have also heard great things about Vintage 30s with the older Marshalls, and you can even start looking into doing an x-pattern cabinet with different speakers, such as Vintage 30s and G12-T75s. There are even boutique manufacturers such as Scumback that make excellent modern production speakers.[/QUOTE]

I do like Bogner, so I'll look into them, as well as the Greenbacks

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as cabinets go, I do not believe that there is any best with the JMP, there are only different options. The 1960 cabinets are always popular because they match, but there are a ton of possible boutique cabinets, including StoneAge and Bogner, that sound excellent. The most important consideration when deciding which speaker cabinet is right for you is probably going to be the speakers themselves. If you are playing rock or older metal (NWOBHM/thrash), speakers such as Greenbacks or G12-65s would work very well. I have also heard great things about Vintage 30s with the older Marshalls, and you can even start looking into doing an x-pattern cabinet with different speakers, such as Vintage 30s and G12-T75s. There are even boutique manufacturers such as Scumback that make excellent modern production speakers.

I do like Bogner, so I'll look into them, as well as the Greenbacks[/QUOTE]
If you're handy I'd suggest an Avatar or some other type unloaded and getting some Warehouse Guitar speakers. AMAZING Celestion clones. some sound BETTER than the orig (like the greenies sound like the old rolas to me and the V30's sound like the older V30's without the harshness that i currently use) Green beret's are their greenbacks and they have KILLER price points. You could get 3 cabs and speaker sets for the price of One Bogner guber cab.

JayCM800

Reaction score
Used Marshall cabs is the way to go! Plenty to go around! For that amp i'd get both an A and B with 75's and crank it!! No attenuator!

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1960 cabs are ok. I have some with Vintage 30's which would be the 1960V series and those are really cool. I've had the Vintage 30's for a long time now and it's taken a year for them to really grow on me. The more I jam through them the more I'm leaning away from G12T-75's which are in the 1960 cabs. Those V30's can be a bit harsh at times, a mix of 75's and V30's can be pretty cool as well.

Fretboard

Reaction score
1960 cabs are ok. I have some with Vintage 30's which would be the 1960V series and those are really cool. I've had the Vintage 30's for a long time now and it's taken a year for them to really grow on me. The more I jam through them the more I'm leaning away from G12T-75's which are in the 1960 cabs. Those V30's can be a bit harsh at times, a mix of 75's and V30's can be pretty cool as well.

I was looking into them as well, thanks for the advice.

jtunes

Reaction score

I do like Bogner, so I'll look into them, as well as the Greenbacks[/QUOTE]

I picked up a Bogner 4x12 straight cab with vintage 30's not long ago .. cost me an arm and a leg but ........ my cab search is over .. these things rip .. they sound better than any cab I have heard PERIOD !!!
I was never a great fan of Vintage 30's with marshalls but the way this cab is constructed they sound incredible with the marshall.. No upper mid honk spike at all.. heaps of super tight bottom end ... and smooth ...
I run my beefed up JMP 2204 thru it and everyone coments on how aqwesome my rig is sounding ...
If this cab can make V30's sound this good I cant imagine what a set of scumbacks would sound like...:headbanger:

Latest posts