Just bought a new DSL50

• Thread starter papa-seano
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

papa-seano

Reaction score
Hi guys, a little help needed if you would'nt mind.

Just bought a 1998 marshall dsl. By the looks it has the original pre-amps in and some JJ's in the power tube section.
Now i'm thinking of bringing it back to life again. Any suggestions on the pre-amp section-new tubes and what positions?
Plus I have a new pair of Groove tube EL34M's. I'm heading to my guitar tech sat, would these be a good choice in place of the JJ's?
I'm using just the classic gain in the amp if that helps. Thanks.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's a 1998 model it should have come with Marshall-branded Ei ECC83s. Look for 4 seams on the top of the tube. If that's what you have and they are still strong, they are excellent tubes and will sound as good or better than any current production stuff you can buy.

I like the GTEL34Ms a lot. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the tone.

Adwex

Reaction score
It's hard to say which tube will sound "better", the only way to tell, unfortunately, is to try different ones. Fortunately, trying different preamp tubes is easy, as they don't need to be biased.

Frankie

Reaction score
I just put some EL34-M's in my DSL because I needed some tubes quick and cheap since I blew out one of my Teslas. I'm pretty much all the way impressed how they sound, throw 'em in, I bet you like 'em.

P.S. - The DSL is incredibly easy to bias yourself if you have a multimeter and a small screwdriver. You might want to do it yourself and save the amp tech bill if that's the only reason you're taking it there.

Here's the how-to video:
http://eurotubes.com/euro-Marshall-DSLTSLV.htm

Adrian R

Reaction score
If it's a 1998 model it should have come with Marshall-branded Ei ECC83s. Look for 4 seams on the top of the tube. If that's what you have and they are still strong, they are excellent tubes and will sound as good or better than any current production stuff you can buy.

I like the GTEL34Ms a lot. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the tone.

Hey River Ratt..
You know in my stash of preamp tubes I have some Marshall branded ECC83s that do not have a seam. And then I have one preamp tube that is just labeled ECC83..and it has a seam. I thought this was odd as I had never seen a tube with a seam in it before. Who makes these tubes? I should point out that this tube is also slightly smaller in diameter then a standard non-seamed preamp tube.

Ken

Reaction score
It's hard to say which tube will sound "better", the only way to tell, unfortunately, is to try different ones. Fortunately, trying different preamp tubes is easy, as they don't need to be biased.

+1. You should buy 1 each of different brands/types of preamp tubes and then start swapping them around. Last time I changed mine I went with all Tung-Sols and I'm quite happy with them, but next time I might try experimenting.

Ken

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not too sure how popular these are for tone on this Forum, but I still have what came in my DSL100 that I picked up in a trade. My DSL had just been re-tubed by the previous owner with new Electro Harmonix 12AX7's V1 - V4. And I have yet to experiment with anything else in this amp yet. But I am very impressed with these 12AX7's so far in this amp. I have GT E34Ls' in the power section as well.

Frankie

Reaction score
I found EHX pres to be kinda harsh, I don't like 'em. Don't like their power tubes either, the EL84's that came in my AC30 were also harsh.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey River Ratt..
You know in my stash of preamp tubes I have some Marshall branded ECC83s that do not have a seam. And then I have one preamp tube that is just labeled ECC83..and it has a seam. I thought this was odd as I had never seen a tube with a seam in it before. Who makes these tubes? I should point out that this tube is also slightly smaller in diameter then a standard non-seamed preamp tube.

Could be any company that Philips owned, such as Mullard, Ei, Amperex, etc. If it has smooth plates, it's an Ei. Otherwise, you might want to post a pic in the preamp tube thread. Someone will be able to tell you for sure. The Marshall tubes without seams could be Chinese or Russian. Again, a photo would help.

papa-seano

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I have a EI tube which i'll stick in the v2 and I have 2 ehx which i'll stick in v3 and v4.
Maybe order a Tungsol then ken? For the 1st position?
Took my head in today as it needs the effects loop looking at and my EL34M's. My tech said they were good quality valves and should be way better than the standard jj's already fitted. I'm looking forward to getting it back :)