• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Jvm 410h pre amp tubes

• Thread starter Jimmy Jams
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Jams

Reaction score
Hello all. I am planning on changing my pre amp tubes in my Marshall Jvm 410h. Trying not to spend a fortune but not looking for the cheapest either. I play hard rock / metal and use a Gibson les paul axcess. I think I want to go with the

Electro-Harmonix 12AX7. Any advice or opinions? Thanks.​

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hello all. I am planning on changing my pre amp tubes in my Marshall Jvm 410h. Trying not to spend a fortune but not looking for the cheapest either. I play hard rock / metal and use a Gibson les paul axcess. I think I want to go with the

Electro-Harmonix 12AX7. Any advice or opinions? Thanks.​

Hello.

I've used the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 preamp tube in my stock JVM410H. At different times, I've used them as a complete set (i.e. in every position at the same time) and mixed in with other brands and types. Both ways gave good results for different tone options, but I ultimately chose to mix them with JJ ECC-83 (I don't remember what tube is in what position right now).

If you decided to go with Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, don't get the gold-plated pins option; get their regular version, which will usually be the cheapest. Not sure what you currently have in your 410H, but you can also look into Shuguang/Chinese, JJ, Gold Lion, etc., so long as they are compatible with your amp.

Price and availability might be an issue, so maybe email a dealer to see what they actually/physically have in stock. Also ask the dealer what's their return/exchange/refund policy BEFORE you make a purchase (good to ask in case you get a malfunctioning tube out of the box and/or the tube arrives damage).

Jimmy Jams

Reaction score
Are they causing a problem or do you just want a different sound?
The amp is 10 years old and my gain channels are muddy and buzzing. I've been advised to change the pre amp tubes. I've been told that JJ"S aren't reliable.

Jimmy Jams

Reaction score
Hello.

I've used the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 preamp tube in my stock JVM410H. At different times, I've used them as a complete set (i.e. in every position at the same time) and mixed in with other brands and types. Both ways gave good results for different tone options, but I ultimately chose to mix them with JJ ECC-83 (I don't remember what tube is in what position right now).

If you decided to go with Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, don't get the gold-plated pins option; get their regular version, which will usually be the cheapest. Not sure what you currently have in your 410H, but you can also look into Shuguang/Chinese, JJ, Gold Lion, etc., so long as they are compatible with your amp.

Price and availability might be an issue, so maybe email a dealer to see what they actually/physically have in stock. Also ask the dealer what's their return/exchange/refund policy BEFORE you make a purchase (good to ask in case you get a malfunctioning tube out of the box and/or the tube arrives damage).
Thanks, I've been told that JJ"s aren't very good. The tech that is doing the work told me to avoid them. The amp is 10 years old and never re tubed. My gain channels are muddy sounding and buzzing. Someone on here suggested changing v2 but I figured I would change the whole set.

SteelLucky

Reaction score
I don’t get all the JJ hate. I have 3 month old EHX 12ax7 that you can’t use in v1 or v2 they are so microphonic. They were fine when I put them in. Replaced the with new JJ E83CC and amp sounds great. As good as my other amp that has had the JJ’s in it since they released them E83CC several years ago.

I am finding where I set the knobs on the front of the amp changes the tone way more than any variety of GOOD preamp tubes I put in the amp and I went down the tube tone chase hole. Freaking waste of good money and time as far as I’m concerned anymore.

chronos1701

Reaction score
There are reports of people who have problems with Russian tubes in V3 cathode follower position of the JVM. Something about the spiral filiments being unable to withstand high voltage? Something to take note of.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The amp is 10 years old and my gain channels are muddy and buzzing. I've been advised to change the pre amp tubes. I've been told that JJ"S aren't reliable.
Gain channels...OD 1 and 2 only? Could be power tubes too if all channels.
Otherwise change V1 and V2. Nothing wrong w JJs. Tech just doesn't like them. Mesa tubes are currently made by JJ as are some stock Marshall tubes

Jimmy Jams

Reaction score
Gain channels...OD 1 and 2 only? Could be power tubes too if all channels.
Otherwise change V1 and V2. Nothing wrong w JJs. Tech just doesn't like them. Mesa tubes are currently made by JJ as are some stock Marshall tubes
Thanks, so I swapped all the pre amp tubes with Electro Harmonix. Sound got better but still a lot of static buzz. Volume sensitive. I'm using a new Gibson Les Paul Axcess. If I use the clean channel with a distortion pedal it is relatively quiet. I also use a noise gate in the pedal chain. I'm starting to wonder if I am getting interference from something in the room. Idk.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Thanks, so I swapped all the pre amp tubes with Electro Harmonix. Sound got better but still a lot of static buzz. Volume sensitive. I'm using a new Gibson Les Paul Axcess. If I use the clean channel with a distortion pedal it is relatively quiet. I also use a noise gate in the pedal chain. I'm starting to wonder if I am getting interference from something in the room. Idk.
Possibly. Hey, have you tried it with nothing in the loop? Just guitar to amp?
I have round some LED lights cause hum amd bizz in some of my amps. Also of course high gain amps will have some more noise, check settings on gate.
Try another outlet / space.
Love the Axcess. I have one too!

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
I've had very very few bad JJ's. I don't know where people are getting them from, but JJ's are good tubes to me. Marshall put them in the DSL20CR I just got and labeled them Marshall, so there apparently good enough for them. I normally buy my JJ's from Eurotubes and they've done good by me everytime. And many times. I think I've probably gotten close to 50 tubes from them over the years atleast.

But I really like the way the Mullard and Tung Sol 12AX7's sound in my Marshall and Mesa. Definitely going to be using more from now on. I personally never like the Electro-Harmonix tubes much. I still have some, but have thrown them into an amp I'm trying to get rid off. The tone is still a good tone. Just not one I like as much.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score

RF interference can be pretty common in tube amps. Big receivers in a lot of ways. But lots of things can cause buzz. Dirty power, too many devices putting out something the amp is catching etc. Or are you simply talking about gain. Too hot? Because if you want to tame the gain, than you need to start trying other tubes than 12AX7's. A 12AU7 for instance in the phase inverter. That amp being 10 years old and sitting for a while could maybe use a good cleaning in various spots with electronic cleaner too. Dirty pots, dirty plugs, etc..

Last edited:

Jimmy Jams

Reaction score
Possibly. Hey, have you tried it with nothing in the loop? Just guitar to amp?
I have round some LED lights cause hum amd bizz in some of my amps. Also of course high gain amps will have some more noise, check settings on gate.
Try another outlet / space.
Love the Axcess. I have one too!
I have tried plugging direct to the amp with a brand new cord. Same result. It's a newer house I'm rehearsing at. Same result with my Strat. I use a power conditioner also.

Latest posts