JVM or DSL or TSL

• Thread starter feedback
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm, I mentioned this already in this thread, I'll say it again.
The 401 is not typically what people talk about when they are thinking DSL. Unless you have made a mistake and are in fact playing a DSL JCM2000 which is the DSL commonly refered too when talking about the EL34 driv'in DSL (50 or 100 watt) head. Otherwise please do not confuse the 401 which is transtube and uses EL84's.

Hold on

The DSL 401 is a DSL JCM2000, thats why in big letters is says JCM2000-DSL 401 dual super lead.
DSL 401 isnt Transtube, its 100% tube.
It has four ECC83's (ATX7's) and four EL84's, i know because i replaced
them all with JJ tubes.
Preamp wise they are pretty close to the same as the other DSL's minus
the Deep Boost and Tone Shift, the main difference is the EL34 power output stage.

I know Peavy and Vox have transtube amps
but i dont know any Marshalls that are transtube,

The 401 sounds pretty great through a 4 12 cab even on low volume

YouTube - Marshall DSL 401 combo through 4 12" cab

Last edited:

lennon08

Reaction score
I have the JCM 2000 extension cab. It really is worth it especially seeing that they can be picked up used much cheaper than they were new. I think it really adds a ton of toneage that can not be neat.

GeeJay

Reaction score
The DSL 401 uses EL84 tubes, the TSL I believe uses 6L6. They sound completely different. I believe (but am not sure) the 401 also has a solid state preamp. In either case, I haven't heard a lot of good reviews on the 401. Get the TSL or (even better) a DSL 50 head and a 2 x 12 bottom (which is what I use).

The TSL 601 uses a pair EL34 in the power amp and does sound different to the DSL 401. The 401 is softer and in my view better suited to blues and classic rock. The 601 on the other hand has more of a hard rock sound, but both sound like Marshalls.

As Coldsteel says the 401 is an all tube design, with three 12AX7s in the gain stages and another 12AX7 as an inverter. The signal path is really quite simple. I changed my power amp tubes to JJ's when one of the Ei tubes died. I also changed the inverter tube and position 3 in the pre-amp to JJs. I prefer the Marshall pre-amp tubes in Pos 1 & 2, just gives the OD sounds a bit more 'edge'.

I couldn't be happier with the sounds I get from my 401. I usually just plug a Les Paul directly into it and away.

The last time I tried a 601, I liked that too, again with Les Paul. And when I tried a 1974x I liked that too... Hmm I must be a Marshall floosey..:)

stryker59

Reaction score
jvm baby!!
100_1488.jpg

bowhunterwt

Reaction score
The DSL 401 uses EL84 tubes, the TSL I believe uses 6L6. They sound completely different. I believe (but am not sure) the 401 also has a solid state preamp. In either case, I haven't heard a lot of good reviews on the 401. Get the TSL or (even better) a DSL 50 head and a 2 x 12 bottom (which is what I use).

The 401 doesn't have a solid state preamp it has 12ax7 tubes or something like that, I know I own one. The 401 is an okay amp I never had any problem of overheating I just wish it had a presence control.

Spirit Dave

Reaction score
I love my DSL :) Nothing will pry me away ... and I have used the other amps ... in fact, I owned a TSL60 head ... I played the JVM ... probably didn't give it a chance, but I just can't imagine needing another amp yet ... because my DSL suits my style PERFECT! :)

Love it :)

fatfinger

Reaction score
I had a JVM , thinking it would be the end - all search for the best marshall sound. I found it was like have presets on a solid state amp. All the channels sounded best with the gain and eq set at the noon position. There was very little difference in the sounds of each when i backed off the volume on my les paul as well. It felt almost like I was playing through one of those pods. Change the channel and take what you get. Bought a Mesa Roadster head and for the first time in over 20 years of playing, I know what a real tube kick a$$ amp sounds and feels like. $1899.00. Same as the JVM 2. My other head is a 5150. I still want to pick up a Marshall head for their specific tone, but I don't know which one to start looking at.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my DSL :) Nothing will pry me away ... and I have used the other amps ... in fact, I owned a TSL60 head ... I played the JVM ... probably didn't give it a chance, but I just can't imagine needing another amp yet ... because my DSL suits my style PERFECT! :)

Love it :)

Do you have the 100 or the 50? you have my interest now
i have never tried a DSL head,

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm listening too. A DSL might be in my future, probably the 100.

Yea i love my Vintage guitar sound from the
VM but i also like to play newer stuff to with
smooth high gain sounds for screaming lead

Spirit Dave

Reaction score
Do you have the 100 or the 50? you have my interest now
i have never tried a DSL head,

Sorry man ... missed this ...

I have the 100 ...

I used to have the JCM 900, before that a JCM2000 TSL60, and before my DSL I had the VM ... I loved all of these amps... but for fat rocking modern kick ass marshall tone, the DSL whips them all. As I said ... it can't do Vintage sounds like the VM can ... it doesn't have that same feel ... that's impossible ... KT66 and EL34's sound different ... for a start. But the fact is... for what I want, the DSL rocks.

I'm not blind to different amps ... but I do know what sounds I like :)

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about selling my 900 as much as i love it
to a freind and maybe getting a DSL 100 to take its
place. Probably has better low end than the 900 also

MIDI

Reaction score

The TSL uses 4 - ECC83 (12AX7) preamp tubes and 4 - EL34 output tubes.
Also, the TSL is not complicated to use. I've had mine for over 7 years and nothing has broken on it. The 3rd channel is a big plus!!!!

Docrock

Reaction score
The DSL is definitely the better amp :)

I see you´re extremely happy with your DSL 100. I´m considering buying a DSL 50, because i normally play in small venues where a mic´ed DSL 50 should be more than enough. I´ve heard that big amps with 100 w and up don´t sound as good on small volumes, and i don´t wanna turn the rest of the band deaf with my amp!