JVM or DSL or TSL

• Thread starter feedback
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spirit Dave

Reaction score
Docrock ... that's not true at all ... I don't crank my DSL all the time ... sometimes I play it on 12 oclock volume when we rehearse ... and it's still amazing sounding. I played a private house party, and we weren't able to be as loud, and it sounded incredible! So don't worry ... the 100 sounds AWESOME. :)

And I'm speaking with some experience as I have owned a number of amps including 4 Marshall all tube amps ... so I have a comparison to work by :)

Adwex

Reaction score
I see you´re extremely happy with your DSL 100. I´m considering buying a DSL 50, because i normally play in small venues where a mic´ed DSL 50 should be more than enough. I´ve heard that big amps with 100 w and up don´t sound as good on small volumes, and i don´t wanna turn the rest of the band deaf with my amp!

If a 100 is too loud, a 50 will probably be too loud also. There's not much difference in "loudness" between 50 and 100 watts. 100 watt amps sound "bigger", but only a little bit louder. If you need to crank your amp to get a good sound, but you need it to be low volume, you need alot less than 50 watts.

Spirit Dave

Reaction score
If a 100 is too loud, a 50 will probably be too loud also. There's not much difference in "loudness" between 50 and 100 watts. 100 watt amps sound "bigger", but only a little bit louder. If you need to crank your amp to get a good sound, but you need it to be low volume, you need alot less than 50 watts.

Wot he said :)

MIDI

Reaction score
I see you´re extremely happy with your DSL 100. I´m considering buying a DSL 50, because i normally play in small venues where a mic´ed DSL 50 should be more than enough. I´ve heard that big amps with 100 w and up don´t sound as good on small volumes, and i don´t wanna turn the rest of the band deaf with my amp!

The TSL has a VPR (Virtual Power Reduction) switch. It enables you to get the sound of a 100w amp by emulating the volume to a 25w amp. It works really well in small venues. I am not sure if this feature is on the DSL's. To get detailed info on the VPR, you can go to the Marshall web site.

Docrock

Reaction score
So the main difference between a DSL 50 and a DSL 100 is that the second sounds "bigger", otherwise there shouldn´t be more issues due to the fact that it has twice the amount of watts, right?
Another thing, is it possible to use one amp head with two cabinets on each side of the stage in order to use stereo effects? Or do you need to amps for that?

Spirit Dave

Reaction score
Docrock ...

The 50 sounds less boomy ... but breaks up sooner ... ie: more distortion at a lower volume.

The 100 is the opposite. Still lots of distortion, but more clean headroom ....

:) It's all about personal taste ... :)

Adwex

Reaction score
So the main difference between a DSL 50 and a DSL 100 is that the second sounds "bigger", otherwise there shouldn´t be more issues due to the fact that it has twice the amount of watts, right?
Another thing, is it possible to use one amp head with two cabinets on each side of the stage in order to use stereo effects? Or do you need to amps for that?

Yeah, as Spirit Dave says, it's really personal preference whether you should get a 50 or a 100. Try them both, see which you like better. The 100 watter has 4 power tubes, the 50 has 2, so it will cost a little more to replace the tubes in the 100, but that's no big deal. Since the 100 has more power, the amp will have to be a little louder to get the power tubes to distort like the 50.

Yes, you can use 2 cabs, but they will NOT be stereo. The DSL is a mono amp...there is no left and right channel. You can connect 2 cabinets (like a stack, or both on the floor), but the same signal will be coming out of both cabs...it will NOT be stereo. For stereo, you need stereo effects, and a stereo power amp....or 2 DSL heads.

xophrax

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying "Dont get the TSL, the DSL does the same stuff as the TSL, and the TSL has more chances of breaking down." First of all, if you think the DSL can do what the TSL can, your either being really ignorant, or your just dumb, but right off the bat, the TSL has 3 channels, the DSL has 2, there are more EQ options on the TSL, and less on the DSL, and the power switch on the TSL, which the DSL doesn't have. Second, talk about contradiction, you say the TSL will break easier because of all the knobs and electronics? Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the JVM410H have WAY more channels, 1/4in jacks and MIDI inputs/outputs??? DUH!!!

wayne crow

Reaction score
Hello, i am looking to swap/sell a Marshall (Half stack) JVM410H and a Marshall 1960a (with flight cases) for marshall a JVM410C (Combo) or to sell for £1100. The amp and cab are in immaculate condition. please ring or email for futher details;

Wayne 07794147427

wayne-crow@hotmail.com

steelhorse

Reaction score
everyone keeps saying "dont get the tsl, the dsl does the same stuff as the tsl, and the tsl has more chances of breaking down." first of all, if you think the dsl can do what the tsl can, your either being really ignorant, or your just dumb, but right off the bat, the tsl has 3 channels, the dsl has 2, there are more eq options on the tsl, and less on the dsl, and the power switch on the tsl, which the dsl doesn't have. Second, talk about contradiction, you say the tsl will break easier because of all the knobs and electronics? Um, correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the jvm410h have way more channels, 1/4in jacks and midi inputs/outputs??? Duh!!!

go get em tiger!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Ken

Reaction score

The DSL 50 will break up at a lower volume, but it also is very clean when you play on the cleanest settings. I have a 50 and wouldn't trade it for a 100.

The DSL 50 head is a different animal than a 401. It's not the same amp in a different cabinet. I prefer the sound of a closed back cabinet which is why I have what I have, but that's not to say the 401 isn't more suited for other people.

A DSL is way better than a JCM 900 because it does a lot more, with a lot less fussing with the controls. I think of the DSL as a combination SLX and JCM 800 in one, although the DSL is not really a substitue for either! It has its own vibe. And used the DSL's are cheaper than the alternatives, which makes them the most outstanding bargain in Marshalls IMHO.

Ken

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
go get em tiger!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Thanks Steelhorse. You are one of the few veterans around here that constantly stick up for TSL owners. To be blunt, I could own any Marshall amp (even an old collector's model). Through experience, I have migrated from 800's to 900's and then to a TSL122. I was so delighted with it, I bought a TSL100 (w/ 4 by 12 cab) and (2) TSL602's. Over the past year or so, I have been using the TSL602's more. One is loaded with JBL D123's and the other is loaded with Altec 417's. Of course these amps have hand selected tubes, but the bottom line is that I liked how they sounded stock.

I do own a couple of DSL401's. One is a 2005 model and the other is a 2006 model. I had a 1999 model and it sounded better than the new ones. I never had any heat problems with it. I sold it to a young guy on EBAY in 2008 and he is still sending me emails telling me how good it sounds.

Personally, I think a TSL602 will handle most gigs. Most bands mic their gear anyway. Dollar for dollar the DSL or TSL is the best buy. For what they sold for new, which was a whole lot of $$$, the current used price for a DSL/TSL is very reasonable.

Marty

xophrax

Reaction score
Thanks Steelhorse. You are one of the few veterans around here that constantly stick up for TSL owners. To be blunt, I could own any Marshall amp (even an old collector's model). Through experience, I have migrated from 800's to 900's and then to a TSL122. I was so delighted with it, I bought a TSL100 (w/ 4 by 12 cab) and (2) TSL602's. Over the past year or so, I have been using the TSL602's more. One is loaded with JBL D123's and the other is loaded with Altec 417's. Of course these amps have hand selected tubes, but the bottom line is that I liked how they sounded stock.

I do own a couple of DSL401's. One is a 2005 model and the other is a 2006 model. I had a 1999 model and it sounded better than the new ones. I never had any heat problems with it. I sold it to a young guy on EBAY in 2008 and he is still sending me emails telling me how good it sounds.

Personally, I think a TSL602 will handle most gigs. Most bands mic their gear anyway. Dollar for dollar the DSL or TSL is the best buy. For what they sold for new, which was a whole lot of $$$, the current used price for a DSL/TSL is very reasonable.

Marty

+1

And I stick up for the TSL's too! Not that the DSL's aren't bad, but there's nothing wrong with the TSL's, they're grreat!!!

steelhorse

Reaction score
Thank the TSL's brothers, they stand up for themselves.

Anyway, I don't know how anyone can categorically label a particular model or series a bad amp because of a bad experience or two or reading reports or whatever because a good amp is a good amp and the TSL's I've owned or played have all been good.

I'm not mitigating that there are bad one's out there, but I can tell you stories about bad DSL's, 2203's and on and on that I've encountered over the years yet I didn't classify any of them as 'bad'.

imo no one needs an engineering or electrical degree to know what's bad or good and the TSL imo imo overall is a really good amp.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Yeah, there are some "hardcore" TSL haters, but that's okay with me. It's like with any piece of musical equipment. It's what sounds good to you. A lot of people forget that the "flagship" moniker was placed on the TSL throughout its production run. It was #1, the top shelf, the big banana. I remember looking in a Musician's Friend catalog when they first came out and I thought to myself, "That's a lot of money...must be a friggin' good amp!" A TSL122 discounted was still $2400 (if my memory serves me). Maybe more. I remember seeing one price as $2800 and some change. I bought my TSL100 from the first owner who only had it three months and he got into money problems. I got it for $700 with a cover and an unused pedal. No matter how you look at it, it was a smokin' deal.

I picked up both of my 602's on EBAY. The first one was someone in KC that was selling. I won it for $525 and I drove into KC to pick it up. It was in perfect shape. The second one I paid $575 for and $50 to ship. It too was in great shape. Both amps came with working and hardly used foot switches. So I have a little over $1100 invested in two damn good combos.

If you know how to play the game and are patient, EBAY is a really good place to get an amp, because your payment is guaranteed by PayPal. If you get a lemon amp, the seller is in deep shit and will have to refund you your money. I wheel and deal on EBAY all the time and I have only encountered one bad customer. I came close to buying a 6100LM recently. It was listed twice for a total of a month and never sold. They wanted a grand for it. As much as I felt compelled to buy it, I restrained myself for several reasons. I have too many amps right now and buying another simply out of "want" was not a good enough reason. However, it does point out that the amp market is very soft right now. There are a lot of amps on EBAY that aren't selling. If a seller is very anxious to sell, that's when you can make a good deal. I spend a minimum of two hours a day on EBAY buying and selling. I have a real good feel for pricing and what kind of money it will take to win an auction. I will tell you that on average, the price of most 900's have dropped over $100. So if you are looking at a 900, now is the time to buy.

A member recently tried to sell his Marshall combo on EBAY. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it would never sell for the price he wanted and it didn't. In today's economy, you have to be realistic. You can't get big bucks for a TSL. Not when they are selling for $750 and in mint condition.

Anyway, I love my TSL's. Sure I have them sort of hot-rodded, but that's the fun of owning a Marshall. You can do things to them that personalize your sound.

Marty

Delicieuxz

Reaction score
A bit of an old thread, but MartyStrat54 - do you have any recording clips of your TSLs? I'd love to hear what sounds you're getting out of them.

guitarman8

Reaction score
I've seen one a DSL602 in my area for $500 I have a DSL401. I'm thinking the larger power tubes of the 602 should have a more solid sound over those little guys in the 401. Closer to the 800 I had last time with it's 6550's. What do you think 602 comes closer to the 800?

BluesDisciple

Reaction score

Marty

What is your opinion of the Altec 417's? I am thinking of making the same move towards them. Do you have a sound sample or Youtube video of them?