JVM or DSL or TSL

• Thread starter feedback
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying "Dont get the TSL, the DSL does the same stuff as the TSL, and the TSL has more chances of breaking down." First of all, if you think the DSL can do what the TSL can, your either being really ignorant, or your just dumb, but right off the bat, the TSL has 3 channels, the DSL has 2, there are more EQ options on the TSL, and less on the DSL, and the power switch on the TSL, which the DSL doesn't have. Second, talk about contradiction, you say the TSL will break easier because of all the knobs and electronics? Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the JVM410H have WAY more channels, 1/4in jacks and MIDI inputs/outputs??? DUH!!!

but the virtual power reduction doesn't sound good and of the three channels on the TSL, the only useable one is the green channel and even then, its not as sweet sounding as the DSL's green chan. IDK... I had a TSL 100 for 1 year and could not get the sounds I wanted/needed out of it (classic rock, modern rock, 80's Metal, AC/DC etc). The clean channel was particularly bad. The worst clean tone coming out of a Marshall, ever... IMO, of course.:cool:

You obviously have a TSL and if you like it, more power to you but your logic is flawed - You seem to think that the TSL is better because it has more bells and whistles. Sounds like typical teenager train of thought. I guess that more power is better too?

I guess you can totally flame me now.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
The DSL 50 will break up at a lower volume, but it also is very clean when you play on the cleanest settings. I have a 50 and wouldn't trade it for a 100.

The DSL 50 head is a different animal than a 401. It's not the same amp in a different cabinet. I prefer the sound of a closed back cabinet which is why I have what I have, but that's not to say the 401 isn't more suited for other people.

A DSL is way better than a JCM 900 because it does a lot more, with a lot less fussing with the controls. I think of the DSL as a combination SLX and JCM 800 in one, although the DSL is not really a substitue for either! It has its own vibe. And used the DSL's are cheaper than the alternatives, which makes them the most outstanding bargain in Marshalls IMHO.

Ken

Absolutely!

I use the clean a lot on the DSL and the 50w rating has never been a problem for me. I ad a 100w DSL but sold it. Just too much power for me and I felt that the mids were sweeter on the 50w.