JVM or DSL or TSL

• Thread starter feedback
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feedback

Reaction score
THinking of getting a marsahll AMP

DSL 401 seem affordable and TSL601 seem great...and the new JVM 50Watt combo

but does the 2x12 sound better then 1x12.

What the main different " sound wise" - clean and dist.....for the DSL vs TSL vs JVM

Adwex

Reaction score
A 2x12 will pretty much always sound better than a 1x12. Why? Because 2 is twice as good as 1.

I've heard bad things about the JCM2000 combo amps, they have problems with overheating.

I can't comment on the JVM, but I've heard many people say the DSL sounds better than the TSL. Personally, I would stay away from the TSL, it's a complicated amp with too many things that can break. The cool thing about it though is that it has 3 channels, so you can have clean, rhythm, and lead.

AXEL

Reaction score
The DSL 401 uses EL84 tubes, the TSL I believe uses 6L6. They sound completely different. I believe (but am not sure) the 401 also has a solid state preamp. In either case, I haven't heard a lot of good reviews on the 401. Get the TSL or (even better) a DSL 50 head and a 2 x 12 bottom (which is what I use).

lennon08

Reaction score
I have a TSL 2000 602 and love it. I have the extension cabinet and it rocks. I use a Keeley Katana boost for the cleans and it really warms it up. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

feedback

Reaction score
What sort of gain can i get from the TSL 602 ??

High gain???

I m into high gain stuff..

CAN IT rock like slash tone or some slayer grind?

lennon08

Reaction score
It seems to get what I need. You just really have to mess with the settings. I think the amp sounds a ton better with the extension cabinet. Not a big fan of just the combo alone. The extra cab really brings it to life.

I think you can get pretty Metal with it. I don't think Mayhem would be possible though.

Good luck!

feedback

Reaction score
Was think maybe - i should get a AMP head and a 2x12 cab.
Will it rock??
This is my first time getting an full amp.
Used to own a 5150 comb0.

Does the TSL sound good at low volume?

lennon08

Reaction score
I love my TSL. It will rock. The cleans are good, better with the Keeley Katana. I have been asking why everyone dogs these. The only answer I get is that they are very busy in the electronics department. I have had zero problems with it overheating. I have been told my Andrews Amp Lab in Atlanta that the 602 combo is the best of the series. I trust Jeff, he really knows his stuff. These come cheap on Ebay and I saw that Sam Ash had dropped their price to make room for new stock.

I just bought a Dr Z mini head last week and I like the Marshall a lot better. I would never tell the wife that though.

lennon08

Reaction score
Oh yeah, crank the master and adjust the channel and you are good to go. I think it sounds great at low volumes. The cleans sound better a little on the cranked side so a booster helps there.

feedback

Reaction score
But i dont stay in the state.
I m staying in asia -
Have inquire the price of the TSL602 - it seem afford over here
USD 1 = SGD1.45
They are selling the TSL602 at 1800 SGD and the TSL601 at 1650SGD
FOR DSL401 at 1300 SGD...

But been think about the JVM 50 watt combo.......drooling on that..

Rallius

Reaction score
this may seem like a dumb question, but is the dsl the same as the tsl just with more channels? if it's different whats different about it? I'd like to get a combo unit some time soon.

lennon08

Reaction score
The TSL has more channels. Some believe there is too much going on the inside of the TSL. There have been issues of it overheating. I can tell you, I have no issues on. I leave my TSL on for hours and have never had an issue. I was told by by Jeff at Andrews Amp Lab that the TSL 602 was the most realiable of the series.

I love mine!

feedback

Reaction score
SAW THE 100W JVM --so tempted to get it ....
Was thinking ---will it sound good at bed room level - ( ERM dont think so)
as the only time that i m free to play guitar is around 11pm to 2am
Think it will blast the hell out......

Will the TSL 602 sound good at low bed room level ?????

lennon08

Reaction score
I think the TSL sounds great at low volumes. You can crank the master and lower the volume on which ever channel you are on and you are good to go.

I really think this amp gets the shaft. I have been searching for something versitle for many years and I am completely happy. I own a Dr Z mini head and would sell way before I got rid of the Marshall.

Good luck!

Peter Brewsky

Reaction score
JVM´s the best!!! The first marshall what doesn´t need any extra overdrive or distortions... But with boss SD-1 it turns into shredding monster... And the clean sound is unbelieveble, but so it is in tsl and dsl and any other fulltube marshalls...

Rallius

Reaction score
I spent some time last week playing the jvm and the dsl 401. I even played the dsl through the jvm speakers. The JVM has a lot more presence to it's sound. I'm going to save up for a JVM instead of getting the dsl. I haven't found a tsl to try out.

feedback

Reaction score
Well -- i m actually looking at the JVM

JVM > TSL > DSL

Seem what what the JVM can do the TSL or DSL cant

AXEL

Reaction score
I spent some time last week playing the jvm and the dsl 401. I even played the dsl through the jvm speakers. The JVM has a lot more presence to it's sound. I'm going to save up for a JVM instead of getting the dsl. I haven't found a tsl to try out.

Ummm, I mentioned this already in this thread, I'll say it again.
The 401 is not typically what people talk about when they are thinking DSL. Unless you have made a mistake and are in fact playing a DSL JCM2000 which is the DSL commonly refered too when talking about the EL34 driv'in DSL (50 or 100 watt) head. Otherwise please do not confuse the 401 which is transtube and uses EL84's.

mattlocked

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a TSL 602 and I'm absolutely delighted with it. The versatility of this amp is incredible and you can get a wide range of tones without using additional effects. The only thing I don't like is the Fx-loop, when you hook up a multieffects or delay/flanger/whatever the loop weakens the effect and it practically goes unnoticed (maybe I'm doing something wrong but I have tried several configurations to no avail). If you're using this amp for home rehearsal I strongly recommend the use of an attenuator to be able to get the sweet tube overdrive at "civilized" volumes. The best option I've found is this device a guy sells on ebay (search "omnisonic") 20 bucks or so.

Use this amp with a proper gibson les paul and you're well on your way to slash-like sound.

BTW, anyone using the extension cabine for the tsl602, is it worth in terms of sound quality? I recall the speakers are different from the stock wolverines in the tsl 602.

warreng

Reaction score
I've been playing a vintage originla bluesbreaker but have retired it becuase it was getting wrecked thru gigging and its worth too much damn money to knock it about 3 or 4 times a week out of the back off a van.

I had the same dilema as you and opted for the JVM410h with two 1960AV 4x12 cabs. All I can say is that it is awesome. I spent months demo-ing tons of amps and the JVM shone thru, plus, I managed to get rid of my effects board too, what a touch.

Gotta be the JVM everytime.