Jvm410h - Jcm900 A & B Cabinets, My Story.

Azmedian

Reaction score
Hello all, Here is my Marshall Story.

I am new to guitars & amps. My son was interested in playing guitar, he is now 8. I had a P.O.S. (Don't remember brand) from my brother he gave me when he moved. I gave it to my son to start playing around with. I wanted to get him a good guitar to learn on. Idea being if it looks, feels & sounds like "Sh*t" he would less likely to be inspired to play. I didn't want to get him a new "Toy" guitar as from my own experience growing up playing drums, the 1st set I got was a black 5 Pc. set of Royce drums, I was 16 yrs old & its all I could afford also got a set of Paiste 200's Hi-hat, ride & crash. Ride was OK but hi-hats & crash were "Sh*t". I really didn't start being happy with my sound jamming until I bought a used set of '75-76 Rogers Big R Series came with a set of Zildjians, great sounding compared to my Royce Kit.
Back to the story. Upon asking a trusted friend for advice for buying a guitar it was suggested to buy a guitar with a Gibson scale. So saying to myself, if I'm going to get a Gibson scale guitar, mind as well get a Gibson. If I'm going to get a Gibson mind as well get a Les Paul, right?

My son wanted a green guitar his favorite color. So I go hunting around the local used gear shops, Guitar Center etc. At Sam Ash (Springfield NJ, Great guys there) I came across a brand new 2017 Les Paul Classic in Green Ocean Burst up on the wall. Looks fantastic. I got it for $1600. Expensive for a then 7 year old but I wanted to get him something he could keep satisfied playing for years. I also Picked up a Fender Super Champ x2 combo I think it paid $375 at the same time. I was going to give it to him for the upcoming Christmas '17. The day I bought it in Nov' 2017, when I came home my son was watching YouTube & fiddling around with his "POS" guitar, I saw him walking around with the POS banging into walls, letting it hit the floor etc. I said maybe I jumped the gun, and he is not ready for a $1600 guitar yet.
I'll hold onto the new guitar until he could appreciate it for what it is. He hasn't seen it & doesn't know I have it for him. It will be a great surprise in a few years or when he finds it after I'm dead.
Again on the hunt for a green Gibson LP. I found a guy selling a Emerald Green 1998 LP Studio for $800, his name was Bill, said he was a retired guitar tech, and was thinning the heard before Christmas. When I inquired about the guitar he mentioned that he also had a 1990 Ebony LP Studio for the same price and i could pick either one. I jokingly said to him I would buy both for $1000, I would learn guitar with my son as a father & son deal & 40 years from now when my son walks across the stage at The R&R HoF, I would make sure to thank him for the guitars in his speech. Bill chuckled loudly and said sure! I couldn't believe it. Still cant. So I met Bill & bought both guitars for $1000. Bill is an incredibly kind & generous fellow & I will thank him forever. I gave my son the 1998 Emerald Green LP Studio (I checked it out & it turns out that the '98 Emerald Studio used leftover paint from the Gem Series & is considered somewhat rare) and the Fender Superchamp x2 that Christmas & he was super happy, I was ecstatic at being able to buy him good gear.

Over the next few months I came across a guy selling a Marshall 1960a JCM900 Cabinet for $350 I grabbed it, thinking it was a bargain, it was. I hooked the Super champ to the cabinet & it sounded great. Then I came across a Bugera 1960 Infinium head, I moved a guys boat for him & he offered it to me for $100, grabbed that.

Now I have the "bug", you know what I mean, don't pretend you cant see where this is going. So now "My" dream for my son to have a blazing Marshall stack roaring threw the neighborhood was in my head. I came across another fellow who was moving & selling a Marshall 1960b JCM900 for $300, I grabbed that. I was stoked, my son couldn't care less he wont appreciate this stuff until he gets older, with more playing experience. Then as you can probably see comes the dilemma. The Bugera just doesn't look "right" on top of a Marshall stack. Sounded good to me but still. I looked at a lot of different amp heads & was originally looking at an Orange TH100, among a few other Oranges. I took a poll on another thread looking for advice. The Marshall 410HJS was the winner. So I was on the hunt for an affordable 410HJS. I came across a 1st Gen 410H, non JS for $1100. I grabbed it & here I am.

Pics.

My Son's 1998 LP Studio Emerald Green

My 1990 LP Studio Ebony

Fender Super Champ x2

My Sons future 2017 LP Classic, I added toggle chip, Ill have to take better Pics

Marshall JVM410H 1st day, on top of 1960a JCM900 Cab, Ill post a pic of full stack soon.

1st Day opened the back to check it out.

After light cleaning

Looking forward to any questions or comments
I'm sure I will have many questions to ask you all regarding gear.

More to come . . . . .

Thank you all Az

Attachments

• 98 LPS 2.jpg
    98 LPS 2.jpg
    825.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 90 LP 2.jpg
    90 LP 2.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 8
  • FSC.jpg
    FSC.jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 17 LPC.jpg
    17 LPC.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 8
  • 17 LPC2.jpg
    17 LPC2.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 5
  • JVM1960a.jpg
    JVM1960a.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 8
  • JVM Build Date.jpg
    JVM Build Date.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 7
  • JVM1OB.jpg
    JVM1OB.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 7
  • JVMD1B1.jpg
    JVMD1B1.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 11
  • JVMAC1.jpg
    JVMAC1.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your son is a lucky guy!
I was lucky enough when I was learning to play because my dad is a guitar player, he would always help me and they've always been generous when it comes to helping me with obtaining gear. Many parents would think music is a waste of time but I was one of the lucky ones.
Your son is too! You've got some really nice gear there

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Amazing story, quite a bargain on the gear you have thus far been able to acquire! You’re going to love jamming with your son, especially if you’re musical tastes are similar! And Welcome to the best forum ever ! Cheers Mitch

Azmedian

Reaction score
The bargains are out there gotta keep on the hunt. I've lost a few great deals before because of hesitation, be ready to strike quickly. Set yourself a realistic price for an item and stick to it.
Az

Adieu

Reaction score
Living vicariously through your offspring, eh?

Just make sure you don't start applying that to education and careers and push the kid into growing up obsessed with performance and results... they always snap sooner than later and end up unhappy & in therapy or worse

Azmedian

Reaction score
Living vicariously through your offspring, eh?

Just make sure you don't start applying that to education and careers and push the kid into growing up obsessed with performance and results... they always snap sooner than later and end up unhappy & in therapy or worse

Is it that obvious? :agreed: . . . . . even if he doesn't stick with it now, if he changes his mind in the future he will have some great "Vintage" gear. I want to learn to play as well so it wont go to complete waste.
Being 8 going on 9 he thinks Fortnite is the greatest thing since Roblox. Those of you with pre-teen kids know what I mean.

At least he likes music. Some of his favorites are Ozzy Crazy Train, Monster Truck Dont tell me how to live, Sweet mountain river, Godsmack Crying like a bitch, Black Sabbath Into the void, Led Zeppelin Black Dog, To name a few. So I'm glad at-least he likes the various types of Rock.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
You will never lose money on any of that gear. The thing about good gear is you have the pleasure of using the stuff for years then getting more than your money back when you decide to move it on for whatever reason.
I bought four used Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul re-issues back in 2015, a '57, '58, '59 & '60. Between them, their value is now 25% more than I paid. So long as I look after them I can't go wrong. Quality always sells. Meanwhile I have the pleasure of playing them.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it that obvious? :agreed: . . . . . even if he doesn't stick with it now, if he changes his mind in the future he will have some great "Vintage" gear. I want to learn to play as well so it wont go to complete waste.
Being 8 going on 9 he thinks Fortnite is the greatest thing since Roblox. Those of you with pre-teen kids know what I mean.

At least he likes music. Some of his favorites are Ozzy Crazy Train, Monster Truck Dont tell me how to live, Sweet mountain river, Godsmack Crying like a bitch, Black Sabbath Into the void, Led Zeppelin Black Dog, To name a few. So I'm glad at-least he likes the various types of Rock.
That is so cool, out of 3 sons one of them played drums with me back in the early 90’s, of 5 grandsons 1 plays drums/ guitar with me , not pushed , but I did help him with gear, and he is now 19, and we are having more fun than I can recall! Cheers Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
My son Jerry who was a drummer, I will never forget the look on his 6 year old face the Christmas morning I took him out to the garage so he could see his 5 piece drum kit set up with my full stack broke down on each side of his kit, I think we played running with the devil, intro for about an hour or so! Cheers Mitch

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son Jerry who was a drummer, I will never forget the look on his 6 year old face the Christmas morning I took him out to the garage so he could see his 5 piece drum kit set up with my full stack broke down on each side of his kit, I think we played running with the devil, intro for about an hour or so! Cheers Mitch

Nice Mitch,.....very nice! :band: