Jvm410h Vs 410hjs Comparison Video

mulletmule

Reaction score
I just posted this in another JVM thread but I figured I'd do a separate post. I see so many questions where people ask the differences. I used to have both so I made a video to show that. I used the same guitar and same cab and set everything at 12:00 to fairly compare the modes of each channel. Hopefully this can help interested parties compare the 2 amps. It would be interesting to see opinions. The playing isnt perfect as I just did quick one takes but you will get to hear the differences.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Nice job! Nice chops too. Well done all around.

I have a 410C and 410HJS. They are completely interchangeable. But, like in your video in the higher gain settings I like the Satriani better. I like the noise gate and tone better. The 410H is a brilliant amp but I play the HJS more by a lot.

mulletmule

Reaction score
Nice job! Nice chops too. Well done all around.

I have a 410C and 410HJS. They are completely interchangeable. But, like in your video in the higher gain settings I like the Satriani better. I like the noise gate and tone better. The 410H is a brilliant amp but I play the HJS more by a lot.

Thank you! I agree the noise gates are awesome. I really love both amps tone wise and kept them both. I got rid of the HJS to get a 2555x which I fell in then out of love with. The one thing I didn't like was the loose low end on the HJS. I would get another one though. I don't have noise issues on my stock 410H. I love OD1 Orange and green. The HJS gain is more useable for sure. The H only needs to be at 9:00. If I found an HJS for a great price I'd get it but I won't sell my H.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
You might want to edit your post title (says 410h vs 410h). I ended up modding both my 410H and my 410HJS, before finally selling both. There were different things I liked about each. In the end, I found I didn't use but one or two channels/modes and prefered the tone of the "simpler" amps.

Last edited:

mulletmule

Reaction score
You might want to edit your post title (says 410h vs 410h). I ended up modding both my 410H and my 410HJS, before finally selling both. There were different things I liked about each. In the end, I found I didn't use but one or two channels/modes and prefered the tone of the "simpler" amps.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had shit fingers lol. It is fixed! You can't argue the simplicity of a JCM!

nkay

Reaction score
Thanks for this, I’ve had both amps but not at the same time, so nice to remember how they sound. Shows how thin and compressed the original JVM is, and how loose/flubby and soft on the attack the HJS is. I prefer the HJS except for the clean channel which is crap, the clean on original JVM is much nicer.

If you nudge the HJS with a slight boost it works well.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
The HJS notes seem to sing more and with the differences: choke, less neg-feedback, power filter size change it's what is expected.
The 410H with a few mods will sing just the same, and have a big tight bottom.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The biggest advantage the HJS has over the H was the Crunch channel. The HJS Crunch channel is the best sounding channel of all JVM channels (either amp). I also agree that the Clean channel on the standard H model is much better sounding than the clean on the HJS. The ideal JVM would be a standard H with the gain reduction mod on the OD channels and the HJS Crunch channel (IMO). The gates on the HJS were nice, but I also got good results with the H and an ISP Decimator in the loop.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Only difference is one has a gate and one doesn't.

The Orange channel sounded good, didn't care for the rest.
There are actually quite a few differences between the 2 amps...

HJS - Completely different Crunch channel from standard JVM
HJS - Noise Gates instead of Reverb
HJS - Choke
HJS - Different voicing from standard JVM
HJS - Different gain structure from standard JVM
HJS - Less gain on OD channels
HJS - Clean channel similar to 6100
HJS - Series FX loop (vs. parallel)
HJS - Faster switching than standard JVM

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
One of my favorite amps is a Bogner for solo work and how musical it is. the problem is it has a floppy bottom, big old squishy bum. I put an OD in front of it and it helps. The JVM 410H was a good solid amp to start tweaking into my amp/tone.
I got mine cheap.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
There are actually quite a few differences between the 2 amps...

HJS - Completely different Crunch channel from standard JVM
HJS - Noise Gates instead of Reverb
HJS - Choke
HJS - Different voicing from standard JVM
HJS - Different gain structure from standard JVM
HJS - Less gain on OD channels
HJS - Clean channel similar to 6100
HJS - Series FX loop (vs. parallel)
HJS - Faster switching than standard JVM
Subtle changes at best. Series loop is a big deal if you use pedals.

spacerocker

Reaction score
In this video, the HJS kills the H, hands down... I have a 410H. :shrug:

I disagree.....I prefer the 410H in most of the modes/channels shown in this demo.

They both sound awesome, but in different ways..... The 410H is brighter, more aggressive, and sounds closer to a JCM800 2203. The 410JS is richer, smoother, and less cutting and aggressive. I have a modded 410, which sounds different again, but it does keep the 410 /800 brightness.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
They are both improved versions of JCM800. They are both great. I’m moving more to the HJS over the past year but the standard 410 is a very solid amp.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
The ideal JVM would be a standard H with the gain reduction mod on the OD channels and the HJS Crunch channel (IMO). The gates on the HJS were nice, but I also got good results with the H and an ISP Decimator in the loop.

I am hoping this weekend I will have some time and some alone time in the house to crank up as well, this JVM 410H I got a few weeks ago.

Of course, mine is still stock. I want to get acquainted with it in stock form before I start hacking into it. But the NFB pot is something I will probably do pretty quick as it will be something that can be adjusted and I have that control on many of my amps anyways.

I was reading on this thread here and what you said does sound like something I am going to investigate doing on mine. I would like to put in some switchable options that will give me the best of both amps, H and HJS.

I am thinking I will try to eventually make mine switchable on the gain/saturation/dirt/sensitivity mods. I like the idea of these gain reduction mods, but then I am going to want to be able to flip a switch and bring it back to the stock filth levels.

:D

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I disagree.....I prefer the 410H in most of the modes/channels shown in this demo.

They both sound awesome, but in different ways..... The 410H is brighter, more aggressive, and sounds closer to a JCM800 2203. The 410JS is richer, smoother, and less cutting and aggressive. I have a modded 410, which sounds different again, but it does keep the 410 /800 brightness.
I have both, an ‘83 2203 and a 410H. Not. Even. Close.

Not by a mile.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I have both, an ‘83 2203 and a 410H. Not. Even. Close.

Not by a mile.

Again I disagree....
I also have a 2203 ( a 1980 Model I have used for 25 years) and a JV M 410 H

I didn't say a stock JVM 410 H sounds identical to a 2203, just that in the comparison above it sounds (in my opinion) CLOSER than the JV M410 JS!

However it is fairly easy to Mod a JvM to sound exactly like an 800, witt just a few component changes. I have done this with mine but in the end opted for something inbetween a JVM and 2203 in terms of feel and sound....