• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Kahler Users?

• Thread starter SkyMonkey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Does anyone use Kahler tremolo units any more?
They are still up and running, but have been comprehensively pummeled by Floyd Rose.

The first locking tremolo guitar I had was an '86 Charvel Model 4 with a Kahler fitted.
Despite the "behind the nut" lock, it worked fine and was very comfortable on the palm of my strumming hand.
Palm muting hardly sends them out of tune either.
I liked it so much I installed one in the copy I made of the Model 4 (below).

I know they are now virtually extinct on current production guitars, but are there any other MF'ers that use them?

20200427_100456-1600.jpg

Hanneman and King both used them throughout their Slayer careers, but they are the only devotees I can thnik of.
You just know it's a Kahler when you hear the trem arm dive and hit the guitar body, like the end of Seasons in the Abyss:

Last edited:

steveb63

Reaction score
I would install my 80's relic Kahler, but I need a couple of replacement pieces.

Any idea of where to get a bar and locking nut assembly?

jmp45

Reaction score
I have a Kahler Spyder II (2720) on my HM Strat. it's a little more stiff than a Floyd, I'm ok with it.

hm.jpg

guzzis3

Reaction score
I'm an outlyer, I love kahlers and have some still, I don't like floyds.

The kahler (origional) was a development of the bigsby, while the floyd was a development of the fender strat trem.

I love that you can pull up as far as down. They take some tweaking, maybe that's why some don't like them...

Exotic

Reaction score
i have one on my destroyer ,but nowadays i would not install one because it goes out of tune and u have to route the body ,so i plan on trying a floyd rose frx for my ugly ibanez futura

1X15 FUTURA (Phone).jpg 2IMG_2299 (Custom).JPG IMG_2230 (Custom).JPG tz8ndgugti2odoy8wi6t (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I am getting tuning issues on my self-built Charvel lately and was talking to a luthier about maybe replacing the nut and string lock with a Floyd lock nut, or even paying top whack for the Kahler version.
Then lockdown came!

I found these from a thread where a guy had it done.
I think a new truss rod cover would cover up the holes from the original string lock.
CA3SbeO[1].jpg
iYfEYWK[1].jpg
nboMyWj[1].jpg

Last edited:

CraigP

Reaction score
I have a Spyder on my "87 American Strat." So far, a solid piece of gear for me. The only concern I have is replacement or repairs in the future. She locks up tight, dive bombs, stays in tune and does that neat little warble effect when you flick the bar.

I really like it.

junk notes

Reaction score
Most know that Kahler Spyder equals tone suck. An over engineered design. Big and clanky. That is why they do the conversion.
Unfortunately the recessed rout on those guitars are different spec for a Gotoh 1996T or EDGE or Lo Pro to get that good sustain. It will have to be retro fitted, but would be worth the conversion of the locking stud anchors and Ibanez bar alone.

CraigP

Reaction score
Most know that Kahler Spyder equals tone suck. An over engineered design. Big and clanky. That is why they do the conversion.
Unfortunately the recessed rout on those guitars are different spec for a Gotoh 1996T or EDGE or Lo Pro to get that good sustain. It will have to be retro fitted, but would be worth the conversion of the locking stud anchors and Ibanez bar alone.

Good to know, thanks. Mine must be defective as it doesn't kill tone or sustain. Maybe I will upgrade in order to have those features going forward LOL