• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Lets Discuss Hard Boiled Eggs!

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I love them and eat at least (2) a day for the proteins and testosterone building nutrients in the yoke. We buy the large brown organic eggs. I typically bring them to a rapid boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Then I rinse them in cold water and then an ice bath for 10-15 minutes then off to the refrigerator. I wont eat them for at least one day to allow them time to off gas. The issue is there are always 1-2 eggs per batch where the yoke is partially dark green an stinks of sulfur to high heaven. I wont eat those eggs and toss them.

I have tried a lot of techniques and types of eggs and they all seem to do this. Anyone know why and is there a better technique to boil them?

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
My standard breakfast during the week-Two hard-boiled eggs, with a pat of butter and one of my favorite HP sauces.

I like the large organic brown ones as well, they just have a better flavor IMHO. I've never had a green yolk that I can remember, but boiled eggs are notorious for that sulfurous stink..I just boil 'em for 5-10 minutes and eat 'em, but if I ever DO run across one that's green, it's gonna get tossed! :shock:

I have to get up at 4:00 am, and be at the bus stop by 5:15 for a long commute.. So I don't have time to dawdle when it comes to breakfast..:squint:

I'll be eligible for retirement in approximately a year and a half, and I think I'm gonna jump on it..4:00 is just too damned early to have to get up..For work anyhoo! :lol:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I thought I had them down pat. But every time I find success I can't seem to reliably repeat it. I steamed them once and they came out great and the shells peeled perfectly. I thought I finally figured it out. Next time, no luck. I cannot find a reliable method of making HBE's where the shell doesn't stick to the egg like glue. I can, however, get the yolks cooked the same every time (I like 'em medium-soft). I've given up for now because when I reach for a HBE I just want to peel and eat, but it's like a waste of time fighting with the shells. If you search online you'll find a zillion claims for making "the perfect HBE". I don't know how deli's can do it so well. Steaming, boiling, not boiling, simmering, steaming, cold water, ice cubes, fresh eggs vs. older eggs... nothing works perfectly for me every time. I am so sick and tired of this.

That's it, now I'm pissed. I hate this thread and I hate HB eggs. :mad:

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eggs are very good for you. It's a regular part of my diet because I need the protein when I exercise. As for hard boiled eggs, I put them on the gas stove and set the timer for 13 minutes, and it's perfectly cooked. I let them cool, then peel and eat. I usually make 4 at a time, and keep the uneaten ones in the refrigerator. I've not experienced the super smell, but that would tell me the eggs may have gone bad. I can't believe we are discussing this...

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
tell-if-your-expired-eggs-are-still-good-eat.w1456.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I do what Dog does except turn heat OFF and let covered eggs sit for 12 - 13 minutes on burner. Then ice water to aid in peeling. At times they don't peel properly and lately we've been buying pre boiled and peeled eggs. So lazy and surly... more expensive but we can afford it, Marge, we've been blessed!

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
I defeat the peeling eggs problem by scrambling them.

I just stop at McDonald's on the way to work for a breakfast sandwich once or twice a week now. I can make 'em over easy, sunny side up or scrambled, perfectly every time. But reliable HB eggs are not within my otherwise rich, robust and multi-faceted scope of talents.

colchar

Reaction score
Let's not discuss eggs.

I love them, but can no longer eat them. If I do, I get the most unbelievable stomach pain a couple of hours later. I can't eat french toast any more either, but can eat other things that are made with eggs (cakes, etc.) without any problems.

This thread is making me crave eggs in the worst way but I do not want to suffer the stomach problems I'll get from eating them.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's not discuss eggs.

I love them, but can no longer eat them. If I do, I get the most unbelievable stomach pain a couple of hours later. I can't eat french toast any more either, but can eat other things that are made with eggs (cakes, etc.) without any problems.

This thread is making me crave eggs in the worst way but I do not want to suffer the stomach problems I'll get from eating them.

I've never heard of "egg intolerance". I always thought eggs were supposed to be the "perfect food". I don't know which side of the fence to be on where the 200+ mg of cholesteroids per yolk are concerned. I've read lots of articles about it on the webbernets and find many people gravitating toward the opinion that dietary cholesteroids does not equal serum cholesteroids. I've also read that high serum cholesteroids is mostly caused by high saturated fat consumption, which makes more sense to me. And if it's true that dietary cholesterioid consumption does not translate into serum cholesterioids, then wouldn't it stand to reason that the 300mg/day limit is no longer accurate? Eggs are apparently among the most nutritious foods in the entire solar federation.

I don't know if I'm getting off topique. But yeah, so eggs and cholesteroids.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I do lose my patience when those little bastards wont peal easily...

I boiled some today and forgot to set the dam timer so I guesstimated the 10 minutes so we will see how these come out.

colchar

Reaction score

There is a trick to that involving using a glass or something. Google it, the info is all over the web. I never tried it myself because I didn't hear about it until after I was forced to stop eating them.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
There is a trick to that involving using a glass or something. Google it, the info is all over the web. I never tried it myself because I didn't hear about it until after I was forced to stop eating them.

Thanks I'll check it out. Most of the time the shells peal right off but there are always those few that can test ones patience!!!

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score

I know. I mean, I feel like a failure; an outcast; dejected and unworthy; downtrodden; a complete non-performer; a failure faint of deep, dark, abysmal proportions unprecedented in modern history.
Ok, well maybe that's exaggerating a bit, but you see what I'm sayin'.

Last edited:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I know. I mean, I feel like a failure; an outcast; dejected and unworthy; a complete non-performer.
Ok, well maybe that's exaggerating a bit but, you see what I'm sayin'.

LOL...I hate to waste a good egg but I feel it is phucking with me especially in the morning, not good, so I circular file it and win!!!!!:lol:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, egg intolerance and egg allergies are real.

What I don't get about food allergies is why this eggs and peanuts stuff (and now grilled cheese sandwiches have been added to the list), has become a thing of modern times. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as food allergies. 'sup with that? Is GMO?

el_bastardo

Reaction score
An chicken's egg (one that you'd eat) isn't really a chicken fetus. It's more like the chicken's menstrual cycle. So in essence you're eating a chicken's period, not a fetus. A chicken will make eggs whether they get fertilized or not. Eggs you buy at a store are from factory slave chickens, which means they are non-fertilized eggs.

Latest posts