Let's get serious!! JVM210H

• Thread starter Pat6969
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I've been trying to like this thing with all my heart. I've adjusted setting until I'm blue in the face and still can't find that high gain sound I like. I just ordered another Randall RD100(sold my last RD), I love the high gain tones from it. Is it possible I like the sound of 6L6 power tubes more? Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can try on the JVM as I want to love it!! Maybe preamp tubes?

4Horseman

Reaction score
I bought a used JVM210H which has a GT-El34-R matched 4 set already in. I biased it to 79mv. On my OD channel, I set the channel volume at about 8 and gain at 2-4.(0-10). I then turn the eq knobs all at 1. At this point I dial in the bass and treble first and then the mids, then I dial the gain and MV to fine tune. I use a tube preamp/processor in the loop. I use it for noise gate and eq mostly, but it has 12ax7s in it and I use a clean tube boost to bring the slight volume loss of the loop back up. EQ in the loop gives you good tone shaping after you've dialed in a "base" tone setting. Check out the JVM forum for tone setting tips.

spikei

Reaction score
What tubes are in it ? EH12ax7 in V1 & V2 will open it up a bit.
Re EQ i keep the bass very low around 1 on the dial or off, get great tone on OD Orange

lovehifi

Reaction score
I had a hard time with my 410h finding tones I like after just coming off an EVH5150iii mini. The trick for me was resonance at zero, presence at 2 oclock and with bass, mids, treble and gain all at zero I slowly brought up each until I found the tones I liked. I did this on each channel. On the dial (0-10) all my EQ functions are set low and below 5 and I love the tones now. Keeping the EQ settings low also lets me run my gains higher on the OD channels. On the crunch channel (amber) I do use a boost pedal if I want to use that channel and mode for lead playing though. I also quickly learned with the JVM to use my ears for EQing and not my eyes. When I first got the 410 I made the mistake of adjusting the EQ like I was used to with the EVH. The Marshall is a whole different but better amp at least to me. Very happy now. Good luck and I hope you find a solution as they are great amps.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I should say I don't hate the head! When we do our covers of older rock it's great. I'm having trouble getting a good high gain sound to do our modern metal tunes. I was hoping the 210 could do it all.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Well, I did have a breakthrough today. I took the advice and started my EQ at 0. I ended up with bass at 10:30, mid at 8:30 and treble at about 9. Sounds quite well at basement level, couldn't crank it with the family around. There is hope for this bad a$$ amp!!

mulletmule

Reaction score
Well, I did have a breakthrough today. I took the advice and started my EQ at 0. I ended up with bass at 10:30, mid at 8:30 and treble at about 9. Sounds quite well at basement level, couldn't crank it with the family around. There is hope for this bad a$$ amp!!

I suggest some EH12AX7's in the preamp as well! There should be great modern high Gain tones in that bad boy!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been trying to like this thing with all my heart. I've adjusted setting until I'm blue in the face and still can't find that high gain sound I like. I just ordered another Randall RD100(sold my last RD), I love the high gain tones from it. Is it possible I like the sound of 6L6 power tubes more? Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can try on the JVM as I want to love it!! Maybe preamp tubes?

I cant imagine what your issue is, this is one of the easiest amps to get good tone out of I ever played. Like most Marshalls including this one, I leave all the settings at noon and set the volume to where it needs to be for that moment (high or low). Did you get this new or used? How long ago? Are there any mods done to it? What speakers do you use? It could just use an old fashioned tune up - tubes and bias, and choose the right speaker for the tone youre trying to get.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I cant imagine what your issue is, this is one of the easiest amps to get good tone out of I ever played. Like most Marshalls including this one, I leave all the settings at noon and set the volume to where it needs to be for that moment (high or low). Did you get this new or used? How long ago? Are there any mods done to it? What speakers do you use? It could just use an old fashioned tune up - tubes and bias, and choose the right speaker for the tone youre trying to get.

I'm using a 1960b cab with G12t-75's. I swapped out 2 of them and tried some v30's as well. The last combo I liked was my Randall RD45 with 2 v30's and 2 Greenbacks. I'm thinking I might snag a couple GB's to see if that is my preference.

The tone I'm looking for is some nice higher gain with good low end chug when I'm muting. I'm getting more of a quacking high gain if that makes sense. I bought the amp brand new about 3 months ago. Truthfully, I'm leaning towards the possibility it's the EL34's I'm not digging. Too bad I can't throw in 6l6's and give that a whirl. I have 5 ECC83 JJ tubes laying around, do you think that might change my tone a bit?

torbonator

Reaction score

I'm having the same issue as Pat, you can get some lovely tone out of it when playing in standard and doing rock n roll kind of stuff. But as soon as you drop tune use active pick ups I just find it muddy's up to hell and when I had a cab with v30's it was so fuzzy. I fixed the fuzzy issue with a cab change. But it's still muddy and I can't cut through and find the modern metal tone I want. I would be getting an Engl but can't afford it so I'm trying the KT77's instead.

spikei

Reaction score
The JVM gets a lot of its tone from the pre amp so i would start there first, changing pre amp tubes make a big difference to the tone and feel of this amp.
In my experience EH brighten it up, JJ darken it & shuguang give it more aggression. You have to find a blend for your taste.
If you have =C= EL34 in the power amp you should be fine for metal. Bias at around 37mv.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I'd like to take some edge off, should I replace all the pre tubes with the JJ's or just a couple?

spikei

Reaction score
I don't like all the same brand tubes in the pre amp thats why i say its a blend you need to find for your taste,
If its to dark remove a JJ and try a EH, if its too Harsh remove a Shuguang and try JJ and so on,
I like =
EH V1 & V5
TAD 7025 V2
shuguang V3 (Only use JJ or Shug in V3 not EH)
JJ V4
But its down to what you want not what i like, you have to experiment and take your time, no quick fix.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Northern Canadian town here. I'll have to grab a few different ones next time I'm in the city. How about power tubes? Can I only use EL34's?

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
There is a guy (jcchicken?) who just put JJ kt77s in his 410 and likes it. So they will take them..

Pat6969

Reaction score
There is a guy (jcchicken?) who just put JJ kt77s in his 410 and likes it. So they will take them..

Been surfing the net reading up on the KT77's. Might be my ticket. Will I have to bias them or will they just drop in?