Let's See Your Gibson's

• Thread starter cudamax2343
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Let's get back on topic!
Here you go!

843832010_FJMTV-L.jpg

Nice shot man!

spiritdave

Reaction score
Some beautiful guitars here ... I might find a pic and post of mine ... it's beaten to hell but it's one of my baby's along with my cats :) hehe ...

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
Here's mine:

gear-vi.jpg

Just the first two are gen-U-ine Gibbys: 2001 Les Paul Studio, 2006 Flying V. The Gold ond and Red one are, shall we say, Gibsonesque, much like the "Marshall" cabinets behind them.

siav

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Does the bridge pickup in you V sounds a bit "nasal"?
I'm looking for that kind of tone from a V but I've been told this is not true anymore with earlyer models.

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Does the bridge pickup in you V sounds a bit "nasal"?
I'm looking for that kind of tone from a V but I've been told this is not true anymore with earlyer models.

Hey Siav,

I've got a DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup in mine, and the wiring is all custom, too, so I can only tell you about how mine sounds.

It's got a great, heavy, classic rock "honk", but it's not 'nasal' by any means. It's certainly a more mid-rangey guitar than my LP or the look-a-likes, but I've never actually heard one I'd describe as 'nasal', stock p'ups or otherwise.

siav

Reaction score
Hey Siav,

I've got a DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup in mine, and the wiring is all custom, too, so I can only tell you about how mine sounds.

It's got a great, heavy, classic rock "honk", but it's not 'nasal' by any means. It's certainly a more mid-rangey guitar than my LP or the look-a-likes, but I've never actually heard one I'd describe as 'nasal', stock p'ups or otherwise.

Hi Michael,
I remember to have tried a V early 90s end of 80s and the bridge pkup was sounding nasal. As if the tone pot wan't set to zero... but even with other guitars like LPs the bridge pickup was not sounding like that, really surprising.

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
Hi Michael,
I remember to have tried a V early 90s end of 80s and the bridge pkup was sounding nasal. As if the tone pot wan't set to zero... but even with other guitars like LPs the bridge pickup was not sounding like that, really surprising.

Well, keep in mind that mine's a little bit of a customized "freak", too. I don't know what capacitors and so forth may have been on the stock V's you tried out, although they usually come with the 498/500 pickup combination and they're pretty good pieces. Along with the Super Distortion in the bridge and the Air Classic in the neck, I've got some pretty neat switching and wiring in that guitar, as well as really good 500K pots and .047 capacitors in there as well, so that might help.

Also, on most V's of my vintage, the pickups are just mounted to/suspended from the plastic pickguard, like on a Strat; I never much cared for that arrangement, frankly. If you look at that picture closely, you'll see that I use pickup mounting rings on mine. In order to do that, I glued little blocks of mahogany into the corners of the pickup routing with 'hide glue', and the mounting ring screws go through the pickguard and into those blocks. That may have an effect on tone and give me a fuller, thicker sound than most. If I'd had the patience, I would have figured out how to mount the p'ups solid to the body, but this seemed like an easier and more flexible compromise.

Either way, again, I've never heard a V that was 'nasal', but I didn't play 100 of them, either.

telemarshall

Reaction score
Here's mine:

gear-vi.jpg

Just the first two are gen-U-ine Gibbys: 2001 Les Paul Studio, 2006 Flying V. The Gold ond and Red one are, shall we say, Gibsonesque, much like the "Marshall" cabinets behind them.

Man, what did you use to polish those babies up with?! They look great!

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
Man, what did you use to polish those babies up with?! They look great!

Thanks. I use the Gibson Luthier's Choice Hi-Gloss Polish (GREAT stuff) and a lot of elbow grease; on the LP Studio, I used a buffing wheel to smooth it all out. Once that hardens up for a couple of hours, I use the Ernie Ball pump spray; I also use that any time I play them and muck them up. Nitro finishes really need that, I think. Other than that, I keep after them with dry, soft flannel polishing cloths.

On the fretboards I usually use the Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. If they get a little dry looking or grimey, it's the Gibson Luthier's Choice Fretboard Conditioner. For really severe cases I use Jamestowne Cabinet and Panel Treatment, when I can get it; it's an oil that just soaks right in and seems to last forever. The Jamestowne stuff really brings rosewood back from the brink. Both the LP Studio in that shot and an Esquire a buddy of mine has were genuine basket cases and that Jamestowne oil saved them both.

Last edited:

Latest posts