Let's See Your Gibson's

• Thread starter cudamax2343
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
09 Studio, such a great playing guitar too...

IMG_1646.jpg

I'm partial to these myself, and your is outstanding. I agree, they play just great.

ToddOwnz

Reaction score
I'm partial to these myself, and your is outstanding. I agree, they play just great.

Thanks!!! On your pics, you said the goldtop ain't real. Did you build it yourself? I've always wanted to build one from scratch but lack the woodworking tools.

P.S. Your guitars look great!!!

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
Thanks!!! On your pics, you said the goldtop ain't real. Did you build it yourself? I've always wanted to build one from scratch but lack the woodworking tools.

P.S. Your guitars look great!!!

Thanks, Todd. I appreciate the compliment. I guess the answer to your question, though, depends on how you define "built it"; I certainly "built it to suit me". The Gold one is actually one of those $100.00 Chinese "LP Project" guitars; I think the company was "Eden". It comes routed, in theory, for two humbuckers and the control cavities, and with a really nice polyurethane finish, complete with the binding. You do have to take a drill press or router to the body in order to make the holes/routs for whatever bridge and tailpiece you want to use and set the nut as well, though.

I bought it for three reasons; one, I wanted a guitar I could experiment on without fear of ruining a good instrument. Second, I wanted something that would not require as much care/caution as my other guitars, and polyurethane was perfect for that. Finally, I always wanted an all gold (not just a "gold top"), all mahogany, set neck guitar and I literally tripped over the thing one night on e-bay. The price all-in @ $200.00 was right, included shipping, the cavity covers, and the case (it's a crappy case, but, hey...) and then I just sweated over whether it would actually show up. I got regular e-mails regarding shipping and it was in my hands via parcel post from Beijing in less than two weeks after I bought it. Be advised, however, that when the first guitar arrived (uh oh!) it was gorgeous, but the neck was literally cocked to one side. I sent an e-mail, they responded with the phone number of their contact in California who made arrangements for me to ship it their warehouse in Walnut, CA (they paid the shipping, too) and then kept me up to date on the second one, which arrived even quicker, has a nice, straight neck and is the one you see in the picture.

If you look closely, you'll notice that the headstock doesn't have a true "open book" design, in that there's no cleft in the middle of it. To keep any ne'er-do-wells from doing anything unscrupulous with the guitar should it ever fall into the wrong hands, I didn't change that and I deliberately put a three-screw, bell shaped, brass truss rod cover on it as well, although it would have taken a two screw cover easily.

In any event, on mine, I did measure it all out (not easy for someone as impatient as I am) with spec's from Tone Pros and I used my buddy's drill press to make the holes for the bridge/tail piece. I had to clean up the routs for the wiring, pickups and switch (just a hair too small), added some decals to the head stock, hit the head stock with a little polyurethane spray and there it was. I added the Tone Pros locking bridge and tail piece, cut a corian nut (it comes with a crappy plastic piece; no good), installed some SD pickups (Jazz/JB) and put a Jimmy Page wiring harness in it, so I got to learn how to do that, too. I eventually added the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot pickup rings to it, so that experiment part of the deal came through for me even moths after I finished the actual assembly. I also had to clearance the tuner holes which I did with a small barrel sander on my Dremel tool (also too small). A word of warning here for anyone who finds themselves in that fix; I learned the hard way YEARS ago not to use a drill to do that, especially on a finished guitar. All you need is the drill bit to bite, get stuck and BANG, you've got a split headstock. I was able to fix that guitar, but it wasn't one of my prouder moments.

I will add, however, that the guitar required a LOT of fret work to play at all, so I got to learn how to do that, too, but the fingerboard is a really nice rosewood and no one was more surprised than me at how well it played when I was done. The action is low without any real buzz. The intonation is fine, but I'm in the middle of putting an Earvana nut on it, to try it. The truss rod works exceptionally well, but, curiously, in reverse for some reason. The neck is not quite 50's fat, but certainly bigger than either of my Gibsons, but all of the other dimensions match my Les Paul, literally, to the millimeter, except for the headstock angle, but its still closer than the other "fakes" I've seen. Overall, when I was done setting it up, the guitar has a very "Epiphone" feel to it, which isn't all together bad; it's certainly not as nice to play as the real thing, but it's pretty damn close. In all, it was a great learning experience and I got a pretty decent guitar built the way I wanted it out of the whole thing.

tonefreak

Reaction score
no gibson's here :(

but I was at a concert last night, and they had a fan come up, about 5 songs from the end, turn around a bunch of times, then toss a t shirt to the crowd, and the joke was that he didn't get a t-shirt

Instead they gave him the Gibson Les Paul Junior that the lead guitarist had been playing for the past 40 minutes...

the kid was a guitarist and drummer...

Toogy

Reaction score
How's that SD Phat Cat sounding in that studio LP? (It is a Phat Cat, I suppose???)
And what bridge PU are you using?

All of them look nice!!

It was actually a GFS Mean-90, but I have since swapped it out for a Burstbucker #2, the GFS wasn't really want I wanted.

The Bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Super Distortion.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
no gibson's here :(

but I was at a concert last night, and they had a fan come up, about 5 songs from the end, turn around a bunch of times, then toss a t shirt to the crowd, and the joke was that he didn't get a t-shirt

Instead they gave him the Gibson Les Paul Junior that the lead guitarist had been playing for the past 40 minutes...

the kid was a guitarist and drummer...

I'd definately give the kid my guitar and point while nodding at him to make the audiance go crazy! :headbanger:

proby73

Reaction score
100_0591.jpg

95 Standard with WCR Darkburst pups and RS kit with NOS PIO Caps.

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
All of my Gibson's and Epi's:
index.php

My Gold Tops:
index.php

Yikes. I don't even want to know where you keep all of that. I live in a really good sized condo and my girlfriend is constantly bitching about cases under bed, behind cabinets, under couches, yada yada yada.

That's impressive, dude.