LGD - last guitar day: Strat edition

• Thread starter PaulHikeS2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Well - this is my last day with this beauty. I really wanted to like it: I changed the pickguard, changed the plastics, changed the pups, and it never quite did it for me. Also spent plenty of time working on it: replaced the plastic nut - my best job doing that yet, dressed and polished the frets, got the setup and intonation spot on. I think I figured out that I don't like the Fender "modern C" neck carve, but not sure if that was the only thing. It always felt a little "dead".

Two Strats came into my life unexpectedly within the last couple months and I love them both, so this one's days were numbered. I switched everything back to original, placed an ad, and at noon tomorrow this will be sold. Hope the new owner likes it!

Surf Pearl resize.JPG

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
For me I start with hating maple fingerboards. REALLY don't like the feel of a fingerboard with a finish on it, not in the least.

And then I can't get an overdrive tone out of a strat that I can stand. Other people can. I can't.

If I can't get an overdrive I like, I can't get a tone I like. I'm not much into clean channels.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
That's a nice strat, surf green?

Like the look of a strat.
Just don't like the twang.
I could never bond with one. Yet most ,if not all players own at least one. Go figure
Back in the day ,i had more shots to buy $400 USA strats back in the 80s and early 90s, but just wouldn't. LP were still $ 500 used geetars back then :)
I kinda kick myself for not grabbing a USA model.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
That's a nice strat, surf green?

Like the look of a strat.
Just don't like the twang.
I could never bond with one. Yet most ,if not all players own at least one. Go figure
Back in the day ,i had more shots to buy $400 USA strats back in the 80s and early 90s, but just wouldn't. LP were still $ 500 used geetars back then :)
I kinda kick myself for not grabbing a USA model.
They call it Surf Pearl - it's a special edition color. Amazing in person.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
For me I start with hating maple fingerboards. REALLY don't like the feel of a fingerboard with a finish on it, not in the least.

And then I can't get an overdrive tone out of a strat that I can stand. Other people can. I can't.

If I can't get an overdrive I like, I can't get a tone I like. I'm not much into clean channels.
Aesthetically, I like maple on a Strat. But the new ones I have are rosewood and Indian laurel and I really like them. Maybe that's part of it too.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Aesthetically, I like maple on a Strat. But the new ones I have are rosewood and Indian laurel and I really like them. Maybe that's part of it too.
i like maple and rosewood equally to be honest. not a hate one for maple necks here. i do like
a satin finish on them when possible but the look great on darker color bodies.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
i like maple and rosewood equally to be honest. not a hate one for maple necks here. i do like
a satin finish on them when possible but the look great on darker color bodies.
I love the maple fretboard necks, as much as I like rosewood..

Thanks

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Sale went through without a hitch, and the new owner is thrilled. Had a good time jamming with him and his friends for a bit - always nice to meet new people.

Added bonus: on a lark, I brought my Marshall MG15MSII head along. Sale was in Northampton MA - college town with several music shops. I had bought the whole mini stack just for the cabs, so the head had been lying around unused for a year. Shop I went into offered me 50% more than I had it listed on CL for! SCORE!

KidBlast

Reaction score
I love that fender color

I have a few strats and I know what you're saying I go hot and cold on them. But I wont sell them, at least not in the cards right now.

I'm in Central Mass bout 30 miles north of Worcester. been to North Hampton a few times, nice area.

Last edited: