Line 6 Hell!

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Arrrrgghhh...:mad: The other guitarist in the band I am in just unveiled his new rig: A line 6 350w Vetta head and two Boogie 4x12 rectifier cabs..with a midi switch that controls the head's 10 billion different sounds..

Sounds like SHIT..god I hate that crap..

Dunno if I can stay in this band for long..this other guitarist is the political favorite, (long time friend) they hired me as the lead guitarist....so I know in the end I will lose this possible approaching problem..

As usual the amp's tone is frickin' fake..loud as hell, but no tone. My 100w 900 dumps ALL over it..and all I can hear on his side of the stage is NOISE and no music.

When, I say WHEN, will these lost guitar players ever freakin' learn that you positively cannot replicate Marshalls or other great natural guitar tones but only DEFECATE with that fake freakin' crap! The dude paid $1200 for that piece of shit on ebay!!

dodgethis

Reaction score
A Line 6 convert here.

Had a Spider Valve head before I saw the light. Sure, the modeling was wonderful to have, but after a while, it wore thin on me when I really put my ears to it. The Clean channel sounded farty (picking the low E gave me something like the sound of diarrhea) and EQing the bass did not really help much. Changing the channel meant that I had to tweak the channel volume everytime I changed channels (damn presets), from the very quiet Crunch to the ear deafening Insane.

Only good thing was the matching 4x12 cab that came loaded with V30s (almost 500 of my dollars more than a 190BV). Kept that and sold off the head. Think I will avoid Line 6 modeling for a while.

Last edited:

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Line 6 amps are complete garbage. The only thing they make that's worth anything is the POD, and only that's good when using it for scratch tracks on guitar when recording, like so you can play through headphones to a drummer. That's all it's good for. It still sounds terrible even then.

Sorry you gotta put up with this shit. Some people just don't know. They just see a bunch of bells and whistles and think they all have to be great.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
Of course, I'm sure we are biased...I mean, I've been playing Marshall's since 91 (earlier if you count the micro stack I had)

I really don't have the opportunity to try many other amps. And to be honest, nothing else out there interests me. I like what I have and I'll stick with it.

When it comes time to buy a new amp, Marshall will be the first thing I look at...

Call me a loyalist :D

darrylportelli

Reaction score
hey adrian I know what you mean...Im old school myself just plug into a marshall.....volume on 10 and let it rip.....
if I lived near you Id say lets start a band together, bring my 2203 and play some liquid tones together.....but I live In MAlta...a small island in the mediterranean lofl
if youre sometime in malta pm me loool

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
ahh dude that's awfull, help him to see the light, and tell tell him to sell his crappy amp on ebay for a couple of pennies, then let him save his money and let him buy something better, let the him keep his ugly but decent sounding mesa cabs (wich are too fuckin expencive for what he gets for it but that's his choice)

Jon Rambo

Reaction score
That sucks. I'm pretty new to Marshalls (have only had mine 3 or 4 months). But you don't have to be a long-time Marshall user to hate Line 6 amps. I've never liked them. They have tons of settings, but none of them sound good.

I can't believe the price he paid either. He could have bought a VM or something.

lord_guitarula

Reaction score
I know how you feel dude! I tried one of these amps in the store once, just out of curiosity and I couldn't believe the sound ... sucked worse than the recording out of a digitech pedal I used for quite some time. I don't know what people think when they buy stuff like that ... I mean if you want versatility you might as well buy a JVM.

MKB

Reaction score
Line 6 amps are funny animals. The less expensive ones (Spider and Spider II) are HORRIBLE. If you haven't heard many good amps you may not notice it at first, but put one beside a good tube combo and there is no comparison. I sometimes play at a church with Spider amps, and after they mic'd up my Yamaha T100C (tube amp designed by Soldano), all the praise team was remarking how much better the Yamaha sounded. The next business day they started looking for good tube combos.

OTOH, I read an article in Sound on Sound where a well known producer and engineer (can't recall his name) said the best tweed Fender amp he has ever recorded was a setting on a Line 6 Vetta. Maybe the higher price Line 6 stuff sounds really good when you stop using the factory patches and tweak your own. For sure, as with most preset gear, the factory patches are made to sound good on their own at a music store and may not work in a band context.

I once compared a POD, Johnson modeler, and Behringer V-Amp against each other in my studio for a few days. Direct A-B-C comparisons. I found the POD sounded like the "perfect" recorded tone of the amp it was modeling, which you probably don't want in a live context as it was too pretty sounding. We want our Marshalls to be rude and gnarly even though they have some smoothness. I eventually bought a V-Amp as it was better at medium gain tones, but over the years have grown to dislike it as it has midrange coloration in all tones that is disgusting. Once you hear it you can't stand to use it any more. The Line 6 Spider had the exact same coloration in the mids. I've yet to hear a tube amp with this coloration.

zfmusic

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of LINE 6 either. Well at least their halfstacks. They make good studio amps and practice amps but they are terrible for live stuff. I know people who have owned their halfstacks and they sound terrible.

They make a few good pedals though.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Of course, I'm sure we are biased...I mean, I've been playing Marshall's since 91 (earlier if you count the micro stack I had)

I really don't have the opportunity to try many other amps. And to be honest, nothing else out there interests me. I like what I have and I'll stick with it.

When it comes time to buy a new amp, Marshall will be the first thing I look at...

Call me a loyalist :D

While I'm also somewhat biased now after owning a Marshall for a few months, I gave both a try. I used to think that modelling was where it was at, and spent tons of time trying to get the perfect tone from my V-Amp Pro. I also went and got the giant MIDI pedal to control it.

When I finally decided I wanted a tube amp, I thought I'd check out a Line 6 HD100, so I could have effects without having to buy anything else. I tried one out and, 15 minutes or so of tweeking it, thought it was just ok, but wasn't impressed. Then, I turned around and plugged into a Marshall and was immediately blown away. That's when I realized you can spend all the time in the world trying to tweek something that simulates a good sound and playing with tons of effects, or you can get a Marshall and literally be plug-and-play.

MKB

Reaction score
While I'm also somewhat biased now after owning a Marshall for a few months, I gave both a try. I used to think that modelling was where it was at, and spent tons of time trying to get the perfect tone from my V-Amp Pro. I also went and got the giant MIDI pedal to control it.

When I finally decided I wanted a tube amp, I thought I'd check out a Line 6 HD100, so I could have effects without having to buy anything else. I tried one out and, 15 minutes or so of tweeking it, thought it was just ok, but wasn't impressed. Then, I turned around and plugged into a Marshall and was immediately blown away. That's when I realized you can spend all the time in the world trying to tweek something that simulates a good sound and playing with tons of effects, or you can get a Marshall and literally be plug-and-play.
That's one good thing about the newer Marshall amps like the Haze; you have delay/chorus/vibe and reverb effects built in, and two channels with a lead boost in the Haze combo. With the four button footswitch and the ability to store different effects settings in each of the 3 modes, you have quite a few effects on tap with only the footswitch on the floor. And the best thing is you have a Marshall tube pre and power amp.

I tell you, the clean sound of the Haze 40 really fills a room, it sounds far bigger than it actually is. I haven't heard a modeler do anything close to that.

tarznamps

Reaction score
Line 6 is a great practice tool and something to lay down quick tracks in the studio with - but it's not the real thing.

Just ask a line 6 lover how many PRO'S they know who tour and/or record with line 6....... now ask them how many use MARSHALL!

riffdrive

Reaction score
While it's true that you can't compare any Line 6 or other solid state amp to a Marshall when it comes to playing on stage, they really are great for recording. I've known tons of tone snobs who think they can tell whether amp modeling was used on a recording or not. The simple fact is that, if the patch was set up by someone who knows something about tone to begin with, you just won't be able to tell. It's true that it's more difficult to get *convincing* organic sounds out of a modeler, but it can be done. And yeah, the factory preset patches pretty much suck across the board on every modeler I've tried.

I like the Line 6 stuff because I know how to dial in good tones with it, and for recording purposes, it's a lot easier to ensure that your tone is consistent from one day to the next when you don't have to try to remember where you placed your cab mic 3 days ago.

As much as I want to make fun of these kids with their little Spider amps and their Zakk Wylde presets, I have to remember that these affordable amps are getting these kids engaged in playing guitar (and that's good mmmkay!). Obviously we all love Marshalls here, but honestly - how many of us could afford an all-tube Marshall when we first started playing guitar? I'd say the number is probably pretty small. The entry level gear kids have today is way better than the crap entry level gear we had back in the day.

Jon Rambo

Reaction score
As much as I want to make fun of these kids with their little Spider amps and their Zakk Wylde presets, I have to remember that these affordable amps are getting these kids engaged in playing guitar (and that's good mmmkay!). Obviously we all love Marshalls here, but honestly - how many of us could afford an all-tube Marshall when we first started playing guitar? I'd say the number is probably pretty small. The entry level gear kids have today is way better than the crap entry level gear we had back in the day.

I'd def agree with you on that point. And even if you can afford an all-tube Marshall when you first start playing, it's a waste of money at that point. I just think there's better beginner amps, like the Vox Valvetronix and Roland Cube than the Line 6 amps.

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
While it's true that you can't compare any Line 6 or other solid state amp to a Marshall when it comes to playing on stage, they really are great for recording. I've known tons of tone snobs who think they can tell whether amp modeling was used on a recording or not. The simple fact is that, if the patch was set up by someone who knows something about tone to begin with, you just won't be able to tell. It's true that it's more difficult to get *convincing* organic sounds out of a modeler, but it can be done. And yeah, the factory preset patches pretty much suck across the board on every modeler I've tried.

I like the Line 6 stuff because I know how to dial in good tones with it, and for recording purposes, it's a lot easier to ensure that your tone is consistent from one day to the next when you don't have to try to remember where you placed your cab mic 3 days ago.

Eh, the way most people record nowadays is cheating as it is. Guitarists will record one riff and just loop it.

While my bands use modern recording software, we record as if we were doing it the old analog way.

That is for a different thread though...

You make some good points. I'm sure if I were younger, I would be attracted to all the bells and whistles some current amps have. It does engage them, but it is up to them to continue growing as guitarists. I'm not so sure a majority do that anymore. Everything needs to be right now...Instant gratification.

I started out pretty young and I was in bands...I had the most atrocious looking and sounding rig you can imagine. But I think that helped me as I would constantly try to tweak my sound so it was decent. When I finally did get my Marshall, I massively appreciated it and was able to understand it a lot more.

Adrian R

Reaction score

**I think the above to a degree is drifting from the thread's initial premise. There really is no place for those things other then toy stores. Oh and btw, the guy who just purchased this rig is no kid..40 something with years of experience..

Evidently the experience has showed him little. You should hear the stories from this guy of all the different gear he has owned over the years; some of it quite awesome..I guess he may be another one of them 'gotta have somethin' new' type of guys..

The old band I was in for many years began with the band's original guitarist with who I teamed up wanting to buy a Line 6 rig.. I talked him out of it and he purchased a recto half stack. We had a GREAT guitar mix together on stage, and went on to do great things at the semi-pro level..When it ended the dude sold his Gibsons and Mesas and went total Line6...today the dumbass is sitting at home pullin' his pud, and playing for cockroaches..I heard through the band vine that he has tried to audition for other bands and was turned down by most precisely due to his inadequate, fake ass guitar sound..gggeeeezzzzz..I wonder why?

My Gibson and Marshalls are out today like the were in the past rockin' out and entertaining those who know how to appreciate good music!

Screw that Line6 crap! Its premise is entirely wrong. Why replicate when yo have the opportunity to create!

80's Rocker

Reaction score
Ouch man that sucks. I really hate Line 6 and everybody I know uses them! I have my 800 2204 and they all are always like "dude how do you get your amp to sound so great?" gee, I dunno...

I remember not too long ago at MLP there was a thread about somebody asking what the big deal with Marshall was. Then it later got into how much better the pod was because it sounded just like a Marshall, cheaper and could do alot more. Can you really believe that people think those things sound like real Marshalls? NOTHING beats real Marshall tone, although I saw one Bugera amp that was suppose to be a 900 clone and the Marshall they compared it to sounded the exact same as the clone until they got up into the high gain stuff.

The point is though that there is only one Marshall and its sound cannot be beat!