Locking tuners suggestions

• Thread starter JohnnyR1960
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyR1960

Reaction score
I have a schecter omen elite 6 guitar and wanted to put some locking tuners on it. I bought a set of d addario auto clip locking tuners for 3+3 guitars. Unfortunately the screws did not line up. I could have used them but would have had to drill holes in my headstock to make them fit. I didn't want to do that so I'm returning them. Anyone know of a locking tuner set that would fit my schecter omen elite 6?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Gotoh locking tuners come in loads (and loads, and loads) of different configurations.
They also post technical drawings of their models to help work out what fits existing holes.
These look like the ones for the Omen (choose size 20 buttons).
Gotoh 381.jpg

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
I have a schecter omen elite 6 guitar and wanted to put some locking tuners on it. I bought a set of d addario auto clip locking tuners for 3+3 guitars. Unfortunately the screws did not line up. I could have used them but would have had to drill holes in my headstock to make them fit. I didn't want to do that so I'm returning them. Anyone know of a locking tuner set that would fit my schecter omen elite 6?
Call Schecter and see who made the ones on it, they should also make a locking set just like them. Then they match and no new holes.

Whizzercone

Reaction score
Most of my guitars have Planet Waves. They are great on everything but my PRS 245, which seems to have too short of a scale for them to be in anything but E standard and Drop D.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Why do you want locking tuners - because you want faster string changes, or because you're having tuning issues?

The primary benefit of locking tuners is faster string changes. They do not solve tuning issues (unless your guitar has crappy tuners, in which case any good set of tuners would be good).

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Why do you want locking tuners - because you want faster string changes, or because you're having tuning issues?

The primary benefit of locking tuners is faster string changes. They do not solve tuning issues (unless your guitar has crappy tuners, in which case any good set of tuners would be good).
I put them on all my guitars, but really only for the reason like you say, faster / easier. I can't see them good enough to wrap them right anymore. With these you can just slip it through and pinch it in, now just crank the knob and Bobs your uncle! But like you said, they won't fix tuning problems. They do help a little with "dive bombers" but I only use hard tails anyway.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I thought the possibility of running minimal turns (e.g. less than 1) around the post increased tuning stability.
Multiple turns increase the string length behind the nut, which can slacken as the tension is delayed in being taken up by the post wraps.
Over thinking? :hmm:

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the possibility of running minimal turns (e.g. less than 1) around the post increased tuning stability.
Multiple turns increase the string length behind the nut, which can slacken as the tension is delayed in being taken up by the post wraps.
Yes, until the string winds around the post are fully stretched, and that can take time. In over 35 years, hundreds of gigs, and a very long list of guitars passing through my hands, the only way I've ever strung guitars is the plain old standard method of cutting the string one full tuning post longer than the one I'm stringing, pushing it through the post hole, and wrapping the string under with 2 wraps around the post. Three wraps is too much, one is too little.

Exactly like this:

iu

FWIW, as soon I take possession of a guitar, during the first string change, I make sure those tuner bolts are snug. SNUG - not tight, or else the headstock can crack. I also stretch every string EVENLY from the nut to the bridge, and sometimes even behind the nut. You have to do that or you'll be tuning for days.

With a good quality, properly set up guitar, I have rarely ever had problems keeping guitars in tune.

ampeq

Reaction score
I like to stretch the strings too, I grab about a 6” section at a time. I also give them a tug and hard strum before I tune up. Even with locking tuners I only want to see 1 and a half wraps, more will make it harder to stay in tune. The Gotoh tuners on my ESP are very cool. They are locking but all you do is put the string through the hole and crank the knob. Until it pinch’s the string the post won’t turn, once it snugs up it starts to go around. They are very simple and work great.

Deftone

Reaction score
I put them on all my guitars, but really only for the reason like you say, faster / easier. I can't see them good enough to wrap them right anymore. With these you can just slip it through and pinch it in, now just crank the knob and Bobs your uncle! But like you said, they won't fix tuning problems. They do help a little with "dive bombers" but I only use hard tails anyway.
I like locking tuners for that reason as well. Quick and easy string changes.

That said, they do help on tremolo equipped guitars that don't have a locking nut.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
All my guitars have locking tuners. I have Gotohs, Hipshots and Schallers. They all work equally well.

The Hipshot open gear locking tuners are my current favorites, they're very precise and lightweight. And if the holes don't line up with your guitar, they have a mounting plate system that allows you to mount them without any extra drilling. Although I've had no issues with them lining up on my Gibsons.

They make string changes a lot easier/faster and they're not expensive. About $60-80 a set depending on what you get. I spend more than that on a night out. Totally worth it IMHO.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Yes, until the string winds around the post are fully stretched, and that can take time.
Sorry. I should have specified using locking tuners with non-locking trems too.
They slacken off the post winds when the bar is depressed.

I only have one guitar with lockers: a Charvel San Dimas hardtail (came as standard).
But as I tend to block all my trem guitars, they are only of use as a 'string change speed up'.
I would like a set of locking Gotohs on my Ibanez Prestige though.
That guitar deserves a little extra bling!

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
@TS Schecter usually uses either Grover or their own Schecter branded tuners. I'd just try and buy the same brand in locking.

For the past 30 some years I do 1 wrap on wound strings and 2 wraps on the plain strings. I never have any slippage of the strings on the post or tuning issues with a trem or hard tail. Locking tuners are just something I have no use for. I just look at them as one more thing to break with more crap going on with them.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I should have specified using locking tuners with non-locking trems too.
They slacken off the post winds when the bar is depressed.

I only have one guitar with lockers: a Charvel San Dimas hardtail (came as standard).
But as I tend to block all my trem guitars, they are only of use as a 'string change speed up'.
I would like a set of locking Gotohs on my Ibanez Prestige though.
That guitar deserves a little extra bling!
Agree w/that too.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Here is the cheap (i.e. free) alternative to locking tuners.
I use this on my non-locking tuner guitars too.
This guy demonstrates the 'minimal winds' method of installing a string.
Skip to 8:15.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I have at least 3 guitars with Hipshot locking tuners. These use the universal mounting plate so they fit almost anything without additional drilling.

If the nut is setup right, you don't need them. I like them for fast string changes though!

Latest posts