Love for DiMarzio Area 58's and other Area Style Pickups....

• Thread starter dptone5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dptone5

Reaction score
I have been playing Strats for a number of years now and have tried a lot of different pickups. I have a Clapton Strat with Fender's Vintage Noiseless and they work great in that guitar with the mid-boost circuit.

For my two American Deluxe HSS Strats, I have an EVH Wolfgang in the bridge. In one of my Strats, I had Fender Fat 50's and in the other I have Kinman Fat 50 Impersonators in the neck and middle positions. Took out the S1 switching in both and went with the traditional 5 way switch with 1 volume and two tone controls.

I found both Fat 50 type pickups to be bright on the top end and almost too articulate. I didn't really like the sound, especially recorded.

A friend suggested DiMarzio Area 58's. In my HSS Jackson, I have a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues II in the neck and an Injector Neck in the middle position, and I always liked those pickups, so I thought I would give the Area 58's a try.

WOW!!! Exactly what I was looking for. Strat like single coil tone in a noiseless pickup. Warm and bluesy, but still clear. Sounds great with the neck and middle pickups engaged in position 4 too. Really impressed and they record fantastic.

Now I'm replacing the Kinman's with Area 61's, just to get a different flavor in the same family of pickups.

Any other experiences with Area 58's, Area 61's, or other DiMarzio Area style single coil, hum-cancelling, pickups?

Would be interested in hearing other feedback or stories. Thanks!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
yeah plenty of folks like these Area pups.
somewhere i have a DP 4-0- something or another single.
never got around to a install. very popular for Dimarzio.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have been playing Strats for a number of years now and have tried a lot of different pickups. I have a Clapton Strat with Fender's Vintage Noiseless and they work great in that guitar with the mid-boost circuit.

For my two American Deluxe HSS Strats, I have an EVH Wolfgang in the bridge. In one of my Strats, I had Fender Fat 50's and in the other I have Kinman Fat 50 Impersonators in the neck and middle positions. Took out the S1 switching in both and went with the traditional 5 way switch with 1 volume and two tone controls.

I found both Fat 50 type pickups to be bright on the top end and almost too articulate. I didn't really like the sound, especially recorded.

A friend suggested DiMarzio Area 58's. In my HSS Jackson, I have a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues II in the neck and an Injector Neck in the middle position, and I always liked those pickups, so I thought I would give the Area 58's a try.

WOW!!! Exactly what I was looking for. Strat like single coil tone in a noiseless pickup. Warm and bluesy, but still clear. Sounds great with the neck and middle pickups engaged in position 4 too. Really impressed and they record fantastic.

Now I'm replacing the Kinman's with Area 61's, just to get a different flavor in the same family of pickups.

Any other experiences with Area 58's, Area 61's, or other DiMarzio Area style single coil, hum-cancelling, pickups?

Would be interested in hearing other feedback or stories. Thanks!
I didnt like them, I have a brand new white Area 58 I'll trade you for a Super Distortion if you have one.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an aging thread. I had a Tele once upon a time, and I installed an Area Hot T in the bridge. This was the older version, at some point they changed it to sound more like a PAF. The one I have is a great sounding pickup - plenty of treble detail but serious muscle for rock tones. I paired it with a Bill Lawrence neck pickup, which worked great until the BL pickup broke.

I was plenty impressed by the Hot T, I would seriously consider Dimarzio Areas if I ever get another tele or a strat.

80sTone

Reaction score
I gutted an old Yamaha RGX-312 and inserted all Dimarzio (Gravity Storm, Area 67, Area 61) - could not be happier with the results.

wakjob

Reaction score
People sleep on Dimarzio too much these days with all the choices out there. The Area 58 is probably my favorite silent single coil. They really nailed that one.
Area 58 neck & middle... Cruiser bridge. Amazing set up.

Johnny Hiland and other Nashville beasts are shocked at how good Dimarzio Tele pickups are. They totally didn't guess.

Rumor has it, if you mix an Area 58 and a Area 61... you'll unlock the secrets to Area 51 🤓

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I have a 58/61 mix in one of my strats and they sound great. Pick up the strat with the true single Fralins and you can immediately tell the difference (sparkle and top end) but on their own they do what they are supposed to do--sound close to a single without hum.